Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

16 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Did you use the PATH in Toronto? I thought it was a great way of getting to places and it's warm!!!

The PATH is nice, but the weather was gorgeous when I was there so I didn't feel a particular need to go underground to walk. It's more useful for getting between the permanent touristy areas than the TIFF venues.  

Edited by tribefan695

If you live in an neighborhood that requires the subway to get to get work, it's insane how much time and mental energy it takes up. The delays, the dance groups, the generally terrible people. Couldn't even estimate how many hours I spend waiting on a platform with my stress level rising by the minute. I would check the MTA site everyday to see if I had to leave early to make it on time. I went back last month for a visit and it took me three trains to get to Midtown from Brooklyn. Don't miss any of that.

Edited by RichWS

5 minutes ago, RichWS said:

If you live in an neighborhood that requires the subway to get to get work, it's insane how much time and mental energy it takes up. The delays, the dance groups, the generally terrible people. Couldn't even estimate how many hours I spend waiting on a platform with my stress level rising by the minute. I would check the MTA site everyday to see if I had to leave early to make it on time. I went back last month for a visit and it took me three trains to get to Midtown from Brooklyn. Don't miss any of that.

Sounds like the buses here. They stress the absolute fuck outta me. I hate them.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I placed holds for Catcher in the Rye and Great Gatsby too; don't worry :lol: 

I was thinking about putting that, Red Sparrow, and Sharp Objects, but I'll already be getting three books tomorrow. They'll have to wait.

Great Gatsby's been turned into a movie...several times in fact.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Yeah, maybe it's just conditioning but I think Cleveland/Akron is just the right size for me as a place to live. It has all the amenities I need of a city without much of the headaches that come with a lot of other people living nearby. I'm sure I'll be going back to New York sometime but I don't think I want to live there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Proper investment in key to people using public transport. TfL for example has invested big money and it's paid off with increased passenger numbers. The Elizabeth Line in 2018 is going to be great and provide a faster way of getting around London.

I've been to NY a few times and I've barely used the Subway, I tend to walk or get a Cab. The L Train in Chicago, the trams in SF and the The T in Boston were decent. I didn't use any public transport when I was in Toronto as I just walked using the PATH system and also a cab. The trams in Toronto looked nice though.

A question for @Lor San Tele or anyone based in LA, I went there and public transport seem non existent compared to other major cities but I've heard there is going to be a expansion of the Metro system. I wonder if LA could ever reduce their car or cab assumption and adopt light rail or invest more in public transport?

No one* takes cabs in LA. If you live near a Metroline hub and need to get to certain major areas of LA, the subway is a great option. Otherwise things are so spread out that it’s not feasible at all. 

*pretty much all Uber/Lyft at this point. 

• Like 1