Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

44 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

it's kinda his MO to make his villains just the worst people who ever lived who were probably born scowling. just stacks the deck against them in the personality department in a huge way. 

Then again, Shannon is basically ‘Murica here. 

15 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

How can you not charge the shooter?

B/c the writer of this story left off probably 100 facts...somehow, kidnapping on only a cellphone transaction?  Seems like way more happened and the shooting MAY be 100% self-defense...(if that kidnapping charge is correct, b/c the only one who could have been kidnapped in the scenario is the shooter)...

"Police spokeswoman Evelyn Estevez said the boy, who was arrested on Monday, was charged with kidnapping and robbery. She added authorities have issued a warrant for the teen girl who has not been located."

Edited by TwoMisfits

I got out of Philadelphia ahead of the Nor'Easter, but I almost wish this train had been cancelled too. It's been delayed two hours and my connecting train nearly three. I'm probably going to have to walk a ways in the freezing cold without my winter jacket which I left at home to find some open bar to hole up in through the overnight and I'm not going to get back to Akron until 5am.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I never get bothered by politics coming at awards shows but I'm hoping we don't get too much of it on Sunday night. There's definitely been a lack of energy at the other awards shows this season, most likely because of the industry being rocked by the last couple of months.

I think that besides Oprah’s fantastic speech, the politics at the golden globes kind of floundered a little. (And Kirk Douglas apparently raped Natalie Wood.....so there’s that.)

Hopefully the Oscars can be better.

5 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

Anyone want to recommend a movie I won't have seen?

I've been snowed in my apartment for three days and I'm at tipping point.

Thelma, God’s Own Country and I Daniel Blake is the most recent quality stuff seen by me.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

God, I should have gotten some Girl Scout cookies when I was at my Publix like two weeks ago. Now, I have to drive 25-30 minutes just to find some tomorrow. WHY DOES MY AREA SUCK SO FUCKING MUCH???????????????????

Who buys Girl Scout cookies from a store? :thinking: 

• Like 1

On the Oscar topic, it’s very likely that I’ll skip the ceremony this year. The BP nominees just don’t generate enough enthusiasm in me to spend 3 hours watching the awards. This year’s BPs are so meh, and I think there are like 3 actual good movies in there, counting Phantom Thread which I haven’t seen.

Edited by Goffe

Ran into the theatre manager from the next town over today. He still recognized me which was surprising since I hadn't seen him in a while.

He came up while I was working during It's opening Saturday. He had called my manager and asked if he could use some of our stock so he came to pick it up. When he showed up I helped load it into his car and he was sort of half laughing/half frustrated. 

''Fifty million weekend they said. And then it does that much in one day. Last time I ever listen to the trades.''

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Guillermo del Toro sure likes his old movies a lot. And Octavia Spencer sure can do a feature-length sassy black woman act. 

Yeah this did very little for me. Ironically the only interesting stuff concerns Shannon's internal crisis, he becomes an actual character in those moments while everyone else, even when they're being oppressed, always feel like they're stuck in artificial designated roles. And I guess I appreciate the sexual frankness, framed against both the "fairy tale" air of the movie itself and the general sexlessness of today's cinema in general. But overall it's extremely safe in its pandering and never got through to me for longer than an occasional isolated moment. Mostly just made me want to go watch some of those black-and-white musicals they're constantly watching on TV. (And by the way, I can't take seriously anyone who was bitching about La La Land jerking off Hollywood with nostalgic references last year but is now celebrating this movie, because it's more shallow and shameless about it than any awards contender in years.) 

I definitely had a more positive opinion of the movie than you, but I will agree on this: Will Hollywood actually let Octavia Spencer be something other than the sassy black friend?

• Like 2