Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

40 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

How come some big blockbuster films receive a “making of” book, and others don’t? Is it because the studio isn’t confident in the film, or the director is not pleased with the final direct? Or I’m guesssing, not an interest in creating one?

I’d say a little from column A and B each 

• Like 1

A list of everything new coming to Disney+ so far:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/disney-a-comprehensive-guide-all-programming-far-1200290

I noticed that the movie with Adam Devine, Gillian Jacobs, and pre-#MeToo Jeffrey Tambor that was shot in early 2017 for a theatrical release in early 2018 before it was pulled from the schedule and sent to streaming is nowhere to be found. lmao have they just buried that movie somewhere that no one will ever see it?

1 minute ago, Morieris said:

Disney's greatest shames:

Song Of The South

Magic Camp

The Black Cauldron as well. Kept that movie out of circulation completely for more than 10 years and even then still have kept it hidden away for the most part ever since. Still hasn't even been released on Blu-Ray either.

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

I'm probably going to get yelled at by TOG and TMP for this, but I'm legitimately curious and interested about Disney+. At the very least, I'm interested to see at least a trailer for a few of their TV shows.

Same. It's the only one of the upcoming streaming services that I absolutely know for sure I'll be paying the monthly fee for.

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

I'm probably going to get yelled at by TOG and TMP for this, but I'm legitimately curious and interested about Disney+. At the very least, I'm interested to see at least a trailer for a few of their TV shows.

Dude I don’t care I’m interested in their slate too lol.  The entire business behind the deal is what upsets me.

People freak out about this Disney/Fox deal but there was no uproar when New Line got absorbed into WB in 2008 (in 2009 WB put out a total of 24 wide releases because they had bought up a bunch of pre-made movies as part of that package). Granted New Line went down because they bet the farm on a bomb (The Golden Compass) and paid the price but still. People forget when that deal happened WB actually shut down New Line's specialty branch (Picturehouse), in addition to shutting down their own (Warner Independent). One of the earliest signs of where the industry was headed in tbh. At least Disney has already pledged their commitment to keeping Fox Searchlight around.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

People freak out about this Disney/Fox deal but there was no uproar when New Line got absorbed into WB in 2008 (in 2009 WB put out a total of 24 wide releases because they had bought up a bunch of pre-made movies as part of that package). Granted New Line went down because they bet the farm on a bomb (The Golden Compass) and paid the price but still. People forget when that deal happened WB actually shut down New Line's specialty branch (Picturehouse), in addition to shutting down their own (Warner Independent). One of the earliest signs of where the industry was headed in tbh. At least Disney has already pledged their commitment to keeping Fox Searchlight around.

New Line was a mid-major and not nearly the importance or clout of Fox, one of the original studios. If we’re talking mid-major acquisitions, those started in the 80s and 90s (and they were a bummer too). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@Telemachos

Do you know why- 

How come some big blockbuster films receive a “making of” book, and others don’t? Is it because the studio isn’t confident in the film, or the director is not pleased with the final direct? Or I’m guesssing, not an interest in creating one?

?? 
And would you ever write a Lab Rats Making of book?!!!!!!

12 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

New Line was a mid-major and not nearly the importance or clout of Fox, one of the original studios. If we’re talking mid-major acquisitions, those started in the 80s and 90s (and they were a bummer too). 

Still, they were around for decades. Probably the closest to an official "7th" major studio. They weren't DreamWorks, which didn't even last a decade before they became absorbed into Paramount following The Island flopping.

Edited by filmlover

Still seems too bad that Summit didn't last as a standalone studio earlier this decade when they seemed to have potential between a major franchise (Twilight) and releasing a Best Picture winner (The Hurt Locker). Guess producing and releasing flops like Drive Angry, The Beaver, The Three Musketeers, and The Darkest Hour ate into too much of their resources, since the Twilight profits were dwindling due to the budgets skyrocketing so much (they went from $37M for the first movie to $110M for the fourth just three years later).

16 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

@Telemachos

Do you know why- 

How come some big blockbuster films receive a “making of” book, and others don’t? Is it because the studio isn’t confident in the film, or the director is not pleased with the final direct? Or I’m guesssing, not an interest in creating one?

?? 
And would you ever write a Lab Rats Making of book?!!!!!!

LOL, I wouldn’t have anything to write about. I don’t know why some movies get one or not; I assume the studio runs some numbers based on the cost of creating one and guesses whether the fan base is big/hardcore enough to buy it. I assume they’re sort of niche to begin with. 

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Still, they were around for decades. Probably the closest to an official "7th" major studio. They weren't DreamWorks, which didn't even last a decade before they became absorbed into Paramount following The Island flopping.

Sony buying up Tri-Star and Columbia was a bigger deal, I think (especially Columbia). All of these acquisitions were unfortunate: moviegoers and filmmakers both suffer when there’s fewer entities making and distributing movies in competition with each other. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1