Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I'd like to ask a general question about theater etiquette. As folks probably know, I do a lot of seat level tracking and I've noticed something that is bugging me more and more on showings that have heavily sold seats.

Is there ANY legitimate reason for someone to buy a Wheelchair Assistant seat and NOT buy the corresponding Wheelchair Space next to it?  

Like even one legitimate reason?

Any further thoughts I have on this will wait 'till I hear some possible answers.

it's the only seat left?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Sure, it's an available seat and you know you might have to give it up IF someone buys the wheelchair spot.

At reserved seating though, it's first come, first serve.  How will that person "give it up" if someone buys the wheelchair slot next to the assistant seat.

See, my argument is that if someone is in a wheelchair and they want to buy a pair of tickets (for themselves in the wheelchair slot/open space and the actual seat next to them for the person coming with them) they can't actually buy the assistant seat if someone has already bought it.

What are they gonna do, call the theater and tell them to unsell that ticket so they can buy it?

Edited by Porthos

4 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

it's the only seat left?

Too bad?  Go to another showing?  Just seems to me that a wheelchair assistant seat should only go to folks who also buy the open wheelchair slot next to it.

That's what they're there for, after all.

And, yes, this observation is from seeing seats still being available for Endgame at various places in a showing but folks still taking the assistant seat without also taking the wheelchair open space/slot.

Just... bugs me on a deep level.  Maybe it's because I had to take care of someone who was in a wheelchair so I might be more attuned to this than some.

• Like 2

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Too bad?  Go to another showing?  Just seems to me that a wheelchair assistant seat should only go to folks who also buy the open wheelchair slot next to it.

That's what they're there for, after all.

Is there a real problem of wheelchair assistants not getting their seats to help people in wheelchairs?

13 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Is there a real problem of wheelchair assistants not getting their seats to help people in wheelchairs?

No idea from personal experience as by the time she needed a wheelchair, my mother found movie theaters too loud to go to. 

It's just the general principal at work here.  Not as bad as folks parking in a handicapped parking slot at a store, and there I very much did have personal experience, but the same general idea.

Like I said, it's pretty much on the level of "it bugs me"/pet peeve and I wanted to hear alternate viewpoints on why this might be acceptable.

Just, I dunno.  Whiffs of selfishness to me.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

I’ve bought the assistant seat on occasion. You’re warned before purchase that you may be required to give up the seat if needed. And a couple of times I indeed had to give it up. (Which I did as soon as I saw them approaching.) It doesn’t seem like a big deal UNLESS someone chooses to be an asshole about it (and given the warning beforehand I assume the theater can simply boot them and/or comp their ticket if they had to).

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

I’ve bought the assistant seat on occasion. You’re warned before purchase that you may be required to give up the seat if needed. And a couple of times I indeed had to give it up. (Which I did as soon as I saw them approaching.) It doesn’t seem like a big deal UNLESS someone chooses to be an asshole about it (and given the warning beforehand I assume the theater can simply boot them and/or comp their ticket if they had to).

I mean, fair enough.  I'm just looking at it from an online buying viewpoint via Fandango or Atom or something like that.  I suppose it isn't the biggest deal in the world if someone can get that seat claimed at the actual theater.  But, like I said, "pet peeve".

Just now, Porthos said:

I mean, fair enough.  I'm just looking at it from an online buying viewpoint via Fandango or Atom or something like that.  I suppose it isn't the biggest deal in the world if someone can get that seat claimed at the actual theater.  But, like I said, "pet peeve".

I assume, from the theater's perspective, that since most of the time that seat will be available, they'd like to sell it if possible. To me, the key is making sure there's a warning before purchase that your right to the seat will be unequivocally waived if necessary.

51 minutes ago, Porthos said:

No idea from personal experience as by the time she needed a wheelchair, my mother found movie theaters too loud to go to. 

It's just the general principal at work here.  Not as bad as folks parking in a handicapped parking slot at a store, and there I very much did have personal experience, but the same general idea.

Like I said, it's pretty much on the level of "it bugs me"/pet peeve and I wanted to hear alternate viewpoints on why this might be acceptable.

Just, I dunno.  Whiffs of selfishness to me.

Check reserved sessions for unpopular films for say Monday.  Does theatre look empty?  Are all of the companion seats next to the wheelchair space shown as unavailable?  Don't forget the wheelchair spot is an empty space so booking the wheelchair spot most likely includes the companion seat next to it.  

Actually, I'm pretty sure booking the wheelchair space includes the companion seat.

15 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Well this is annoying.  

I at first confused YouTube TV with YouTube Premium which was once YouTube Red which was once Music Key and wondered why it was already so expensive.  Seems strange to already pay so much for what seem to mostly be free to air TV channels.

9 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

I at first confused YouTube TV with YouTube Premium which was once YouTube Red which was once Music Key and wondered why it was already so expensive.  Seems strange to already pay so much for what seem to mostly be free to air TV channels.

YouTube TV has a fair amount of sports and general cable channels... which aren't free over-the-air. It's basically a replacement for a basic cable package.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

YouTube TV has a fair amount of sports and general cable channels... which aren't free over-the-air. It's basically a replacement for a basic cable package.

Hulu is pretty much the same thing 

• Like 1

Watched the first episode of Fosse/Verdon yesterday and it's decent. Sam Rockwell and Michelle Williams are great but no shit there. Feels like it's gonna end up another Feud: Bette & Joan ala an enjoyable FX miniseries about famous people from a different period. 

Edited by filmlover