Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 hour ago, Blankments said:

@WrathOfHan happy birthday... i'm including all of 2019 because i can't remember when i did it last; released films will be bolded, since i'm gonna try to do these regularly again:

en, Avengers: Endgame Round 3 IMAX, Avengers: Endgame Round 3 IMAX, The Sun Is Also a Star

\

Reveal hidden contents

I'm starting with a clean slate with this weekend's releases bolded (I may be misremembering some stuff):

18x:

Rocketman (A Star Is Born, Bohemian Rhapsody, The Favourite, Destroyer, Isn't It Romantic, Cold War, Arctic, Captain Marvel Dolby Cinema, Five Feet Apart, Captain Marvel IMAX, Gloria Bell, The Beach Bum, The Mustang, Hellboy, The Curse of La Llorona, High Life, Long Shot, The Sun Is Also a Star)

12x:

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (Aquaman, Destroyer, Cold War, Arctic, Cold Pursuit, The Beach Bum, Shazam!, High Life, Pokemon: Detective Pikachu, The Sun Is Also a Star, Brightburn, Aladdin)

Dark Phoenix (Venom, Overlord, Glass, Cold Pursuit, Captain Marvel Dolby Cinema, Captain Marvel IMAX, Shazam!, Avengers: Endgame, Avengers: Endgame Dolby Cinema, Tolkien, The Sun Is Also a Star, Brightburn)

11x:

9x:

Men in Black: International (Green Book, Avengers: Endgame, Avengers: Endgame Dolby Cinema, Long Shot, Tolkien, John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum, The Intruder, The Sun Is Also a Star, Brightburn)

6x:

Downton Abbey (The Favourite, Stan and Ollie, Green Book, Greta, The Mustang, Amazing Grace)

Fast and Furious Presents: Hobbs and Shaw (Cold Pursuit, Captain Marvel Dolby Cinema, Captain Marvel IMAX, Avengers: Endgame, Avengers: Endgame Dolby Cinema, John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum)

Spider-Man: Far from Home (Captain Marvel Dolby Cinema, Captain Marvel Dolby Atmos, Five Feet Apart, Captain Marvel IMAX, Shazam!, The Sun Is Also a Star)

Yesterday (Isn't It Romantic, Five Feet Apart, Gloria Bell, Tolkien, The Sun Is Also a Star, The Hustle)

5x:

The Lion King (Mary Poppins Returns, Captain Marvel IMAX, Avengers: Endgame, Avengers: Endgame Dolby Cinema, The Hustle)

The Secret Life of Pets 2 (Ralph Breaks the Internet, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World, Shazam!, Aladdin)

Toy Story 4 (Ralph Breaks the Internet, How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World, Dumbo, Missing Link, Aladdin)

Stuber (Hellboy, Long Shot, John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum, The Intruder, The Hustle)

4x:

The Angry Birds Movie 2 (Dumbo, Missing Link, Pokemon: Detective Pikachu, Aladdin)

Anna (Hellboy, Long Shot, John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum, The Intruder)

Blinded by the Light (Long Shot, Tolkien, The Intruder, The Sun Is Also a Star)

Child's Play (The Curse of La Llorona, Long Shot, Tolkien, John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum)

Ma (Us, The Curse of La Llorona, The Intruder, Brightburn)

Shaft (Us, The Curse of La Llorona, John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum, The Intruder)

3x:

Crawl (John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum, The Intruder, Brightburn)

Dora and the Lost City of Gold (Shazam!, Missing Link, Aladdin)

Gemini Man (Avengers: Endgame, Avengers: Endgame Dolby Cinema, Tolkien)

Good Boys (The Beach Bum, Hellboy, Long Shot)

Lucy in the Sky (Us, High Life, Tolkien)

Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood (Us, The Beach Bum, Brightburn)

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Avengers: Endgame, Avengers, Endgame Dolby Cinema, John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum)

Where'd You Go, Bernadette? (Vice, Destroyer, The Hustle)

2x:

Abominable (Dumbo, Missing Link)

The Addams Family (Missing Link, Aladdin)

Annabelle Comes Home (The Curse of La Llorona, Brightburn)

The Dead Don't Die (Greta, High Life)

Frozen II (Captain Marvel Dolby Cinema, Captain Marvel Dolby Atmos)

Late Night (The Beach Bum, The Hustle)

Midsommar (Greta, High Life)

1x:

21 Bridges (Brightburn)

Angel Has Fallen (John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum)

The Art of Racing in the Rain (Aladdin)

The Current War (Wind River)

It: Chapter 2 (John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum)

The Last Black Man in San Francisco (High Life)

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (Aladdin)

My Spy (Hellboy)

Overcomer (Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse)

Scary Stories To Tell in the Dark (The Sun Is Also a Star)

Sonic the Hedgehog (Pokemon: Detective Pikachu)

The Souvenir (Gloria Bell)

• Thanks 1

I think it’s cyclical.  Something will hit and with comedies it’s usually unexpected.   

I actually just rewatched the Hangover and it still held up minus a quibble or two(looking at you Ken Jeong).  

41 minutes ago, DAR said:

I think it’s cyclical.  Something will hit and with comedies it’s usually unexpected.   

I actually just rewatched the Hangover and it still held up minus a quibble or two(looking at you Ken Jeong).  

I feel like memes are where most people get their comedy these days. They're more up to date than any feature length movie made within the year after (and therefore running the risk of being behind the times by the time of opening) can be and you don't have to pay anything. Even a movie that feels like it would've been a big hit earlier in the decade like Game Night stalled at less than $70M.

What's also interesting is to compare and contrast the standards of what passes for humor today to what it was when The Hangover and all the other comedy hits of the late 2000s came out a decade ago. Seth Rogen recently said in an interview that he regretted the rather homophobic humor in Superbad and his other movies from around that time, for instance.

Edited by filmlover

HO. LEE. SHIT.

For some reason I didn't know why I recognized the actor who plays Jamie Lannister. Then tonight I figured it out.

HE'S IN GODS OF EGYPT. Lol I have to be the only person on Earth to watch GoT and be like "ohhhh it's the guy from motherfuckin Gods of Egypt"

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

HO. LEE. SHIT.

For some reason I didn't know why I recognized the actor who plays Jamie Lannister. Then tonight I figured it out.

HE'S IN GODS OF EGYPT. Lol I have to be the only person on Earth to watch GoT and be like "ohhhh it's the guy from motherfuckin Gods of Egypt"

And The Other Woman which will forever be known as The Movie in Which Jamie Lannister Shits His Pants.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I feel like memes are where most people get their comedy these days. They're more up to date than any feature length movie made within the year after (and therefore running the risk of being behind the times by the time of opening) can be and you don't have to pay anything. Even a movie that feels like it would've been a big hit earlier in the decade like Game Night stalled at less than $70M.

I think the biggest issue is probably the pricing for comedies. Tickets at my local theater are $13.20 for a nighttime showing, and a lot of people aren't going to pay that kind of money for midbudget/low-budget fare anymore (minus horror, but I guess that's just because of the massive quality boost over the years, and the shared experience). Booksmart had a pretty strong marketing campaign, but nobody saw it, because it wasn't worth the price to a lot of people, or would have been better by renting it a few months later. Matt Zoller Seitz also did a Twitter thread a while back about how average wages staying stagnant, while the cost of living keeps going up has basically made moviegoing more of a luxury, made even worse with MoviePass flopping.

Jake, Talis, and I talked in the previous weekend thread about how theaters need to do tiered pricing now if studios want to keep midbudget fare around longer (they'll probably focus on spending more on fewer movies tho).

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

HO. LEE. SHIT.

DAJK, you're a smart guy. Unless you lost a bet, you should have known better not to even bother seeing Gods of Egypt. Even pirated!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

DAJK, you're a smart guy. Unless you lost a bet, you should have known better not to even bother seeing Gods of Egypt. Even pirated!

Gods of Egypt has a scene where Geoffrey Rush fights a space slug.  It’s an amazing movie

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

I think the biggest issue is probably the pricing for comedies. Tickets at my local theater are $13.20 for a nighttime showing, and a lot of people aren't going to pay that kind of money for midbudget/low-budget fare anymore (minus horror, but I guess that's just because of the massive quality boost over the years, and the shared experience). Booksmart had a pretty strong marketing campaign, but nobody saw it, because it wasn't worth the price to a lot of people, or would have been better by renting it a few months later. Matt Zoller Seitz also did a Twitter thread a while back about how average wages staying stagnant, while the cost of living keeps going up has basically made moviegoing more of a luxury, made even worse with MoviePass flopping.

Jake, Talis, and I talked in the previous weekend thread about how theaters need to do tiered pricing now if studios want to keep midbudget fare around longer (they'll probably focus on spending more on fewer movies tho).

I still haven't seen Booksmart yet (will be getting around to it before it leaves theaters, at least) but I still feel like releasing it against Aladdin (which ended up stronger than anyone would've guessed even once the preview number came in on Friday) was the biggest mistake of all, especially when that movie's audience ended up being nearly 60% female. It wouldn't have been big no matter where it opened but maybe could've gotten better results at a quieter time of year (of course, with a new tentpole opening almost every week, it's almost hard to really find a "quiet" time in this day and age unless you go for the dog days of summer).

3 hours ago, Clubs Are Trash said:

is there any good movies with old actors that doesn't feel like a slave-like?

is this there reality tv?

Old grown ass people in the movies represent people playing second fiddle to police and parenting.  Family spinoffs.  Detective parenting and do-gooders.  Non-anarchist, non-Gothic, prosecutors.  Who are these people?  Tools?  Slavers?  Prosecutors are possessed.   I feel bad for the millennial that get families.  I hope i get a chance to tell you how to parent your kids.

Edited by Clubs Are Trash

7 hours ago, CJohn said:

It is very late and I was aware about Você na TV being 3rd and I thought that was the biggest holy shit moment but Like Me with a 9% share at 7 PM HOLY SHIT. It is gonna get reduced to a midnight diary by next Monday. It is so cheap they might still air it for 2 or 3 months like Love On Top tho. TVI is the gift that keeps on giving. Now is the time for RTP1 to try and get 2nd place.

Hell yes they are. You're not gonna believe this: I literally just read that almost their entire daytime, from Você na TV all the way until Like Me, was third. Cristina and Praça beat Você na TV, Primeiro Jornal and Jornal da Tarde beat Jornal da Uma, A Tarde é Sua lost to ALL of its competition - Júlia, A Nossa Tarde, Avenida Brasil and the Portugal x Argentina U-20 World Cup game - and Like Me had an historical low at 7PM against The Farmer Wants A Wife and The Price Is Right. Belmonte was the sole exception staying in 2nd place, but it didn't even come close to Amor Maior and it actually tied Bem-Vindos a Beirais in rating, only defeating it in share (by about 1%, which is hardly a blow-away win). And then, at night, Jornal das 8 was closer to Telejornal than Jornal da Noite, Prisioneira was closer to Joker (and almost as close to the flopped documentary show Outras Histórias) than Golpe de Sorte, the Like Me midnight show was closer to Prova Oral than to Segundo Sol, and A Teia was the only TVI primetime show to get closer to SIC than RTP, but it was still a very distant second to Alma e Coração.

You're not wrong: RTP1 is getting 2nd place sooner than later, the way things are going.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Haha 1

i'm trying to get through Captain Marvel but there is one of those birds in one of the trees that wont stop singing.  Does this mean we can play music really loud and set off fireworks?

at least the bird isn't owned by someoene

Edited by Clubs Are Trash

I think they should do what they have in other countries

Different prices for demand movies. 

People will pay extra to see Endgame, people wont pay the same amount to watch a comedy that one watches on Netflix half asleep.