Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Just finished the first episode of Good Omens.

Very very verrry good adaptation.  But I almost wonder if it wouldn't have been better if I wasn't so intimately familiar with the book.  Even though I haven't read it in a long time, I found myself reciting/remembering the dialogue as it was happening.  Only when they departed from the source material a bit was I really able to get into the flow of things (even when they went straight back into familiar waters).

Just odd, really.  Might be that I was so used to the print version that it took me a while to get into the proper groove of it all.  Think it'll probably be better on re-watch too, now that I think of it.

Either way, @DeeCee is right that they nailed the look and feel of the book.

Gonna parcel this out a bit though and catch the other episodes later.  Might watch the second one tonight, or in the coming days.  But well worth watching, I think.  Especially for anyone who likes old school British comedies, as it has that feel in spades.

Edited by Porthos
  • Astonished 1

12 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Very very verrry good adaptation.  But I almost wonder if it wouldn't have been better if I wasn't so intimately familiar with the book.

I've never read the book and I was so amused by everything.

I just finished all six.

10/10. Would HIGHLY recommend.  It possesses a wonderfully airy and flirty quality.  Quirky, without being hammy.  Silly, without being stupid.  Gorgeous to look it.  A delightful romp.  I haven't liked David Tenant this much in years.  And better use of Queen's music than BR!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

👍

I just finished all six.

10/10. Would HIGHLY recommend.  It possesses a wonderfully airy and flirty quality.  Quirky, without being hammy.  Silly, without being stupid.  Gorgeous to look it.  A delightful romp.  I haven't liked David Tenant this much in years.  And better use of Queen's music than BR!

Yes, "Having heart" might be the best way to describe this.  Haven't finished it, but if it's anything like the book the rest of the way, at its core it really is about heart and humanity and all sorts of things like that. 

And, yes, Tenant was born for the role of Crowley, really.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, The Futurist said:

D70v3LPUIAAbEVl.png

The Neo-Marxists are very sad, pathetic creatures.

Wonder how long they will control the main strongholds of power ...

Some of those are pretty hilarious, like "mansplaining" is total flatline up until the end.  2012-2013 is around the time when you starting a hearing a lot of those words for the first time or a lot more frequently. 

32 minutes ago, Porthos said:

👍

Yes, "Having heart" might be the best way to describe this.  Haven't finished it, but if it's anything like the book the rest of the way, at its core it really is about heart and humanity and all sorts of things like that. 

I really dug the underlying themes about nature v nurture.  And Dog.  I love Dog.

32 minutes ago, Porthos said:

And, yes, Tenant was born for the role of Crowley, really.

It was such Peak Tenant.

28 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Also, @captainwondyful really glad to hear that someone who hadn't read the source material loved it to pieces.  THAT is the highest praise any adaptation can get, IMO.

I wouldn't have minded another episode, but the six-episode series kept things brisk.  Which I liked.  Having gone to school for Writing for Television, I try to go into a new series as "dumb" as possible.  I don't want to think too much about what I'm watching, because my active imagination will kick in, and then I'm either figuring out the plot or rewriting the plot as I go.  No fun.  I just want to go in, turn the brain off, and enjoy it.  And this really let me do there.  There were a couple of times I went, "OOOH, so THAT's how...

clever girl GIF

But that's just good crumb droppings.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

I just finished all six.

Will Jon Hamm fans be satisfied

13 hours ago, The Futurist said:

D70v3LPUIAAbEVl.png

The Neo-Marxists are very sad, pathetic creatures.

Wonder how long they will control the main strongholds of power ...

Well at least you didn't use the term "cultural Marxists" this time, so I suppose that's progress of a sort.

(Insert the "Is it though" gif HERE)

Finished Good Omens.  I’ve never read the book myself but I enjoyed it.  And it was the perfect length, I think had it gone passed 6 episodes it might have been too much 

Edited by DAR
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

@Porthos You must be confusing me with someone else. I’ve never read the book. However, 4 episodes in and I’m loving it. 

My bad, it was @grim22 who made that comment.  I did recall you also talking about watching this series, I believe, and I mentally conflated to two statements.  Apologies. :)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DAR said:

Finished Good Omens.  I’ve never read the book myself but I enjoyed it.  And it was the perfect length, I think had it gone passed 6 episodes it might have been too much 

Spoiler

I would've liked ONE more episode that was Horsemen centric.

15 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:
Spoiler

Hide contents

I would've liked ONE more episode that was Horsemen centric.

Spoiler

I heard there was a scene from the book that didn’t make it that would have featured the Horseman

• Like 1