Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Oh wait, Variety says this will have Crunchyroll (and Rooster Teeth)

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/warnermedia-hbo-max-friends-exclusive-streaming-1203262335/

Dang, WB is not playing when it comes to the streaming war. It's kind of sad that Disney vs. WB in streaming is looking to be more entertaining than Disney vs. WB in the box office.

Their official press release: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190709005762/en/ WarnerMedia-Names-Upcoming-Direct-to-Consumer-Service-HBO-Max

Whoever thought up the name, give that guy a raise. Calling it anything other than HBO Max might have killed this out of the gate. Instead, it immediately makes it a big competitor in the streaming wars..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

Seems like they are according to Warner Media's official statement. They are getting Rooster Teeth too (which is personally great for me since I watch Funhaus, one of their channels):

I used to love watching Red vs. Blue with my brother when we were younger.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

To be fair, Berlanti already signed up for an exclusive TV deal with WB a few months ago. In fact, Love Simon and the upcoming Free Guy are the only things Berlanti has done as a writer/producer that wasn't from WB IIRC

He's also attached to direct a Rock Hudson biopic at Universal.

1 minute ago, MrGamer said:

I did get a laugh out of how much they pushed Justice League on there. Pretty ballsy.

I'm very confused on them promoting Crimes of Grindelwald out of all the Potter movies. I thought WarnerMedia wants to sell their streaming service.

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

I remain unconvinced that this new Alfred Pennyworth show is really a thing no matter how much promo I see for it.

Dude sounds like he’s doing a Michael Caine impression so in my mind the show is definitely Nolanverse canon.

@TMP apparently DC Universe will still live? Trash.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/warnermedia-s-newly-named-streaming-service-will-not-ch-1836219061

Warner Bros. confirmed to io9 that DC Universe “will not change.” However, in the above trailer, you may have noticed Doom Patrol, one of those shows, is listed as being included with HBO Max, so it’s possible there will be overlap. We’ve reached out to WB to clarify these points and will update when we hear.

Edited by CoolEric258

4 hours ago, grim22 said:

Their official press release: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190709005762/en/ WarnerMedia-Names-Upcoming-Direct-to-Consumer-Service-HBO-Max

Whoever thought up the name, give that guy a raise. Calling it anything other than HBO Max might have killed this out of the gate. Instead, it immediately makes it a big competitor in the streaming wars..

Using the HBO rather than the Warner brand will be a huge incentive. I do wonder if WarnerMedia are expecting customers cancellations of their individual streaming services like Boomerang, HBO Now, DC Universe etc in favour of switching to HBO Max. I'm not so certain on an ad-supported version as HBO has always associated with ad-free television. 

I did find it odd that Aquaman was missing from the promo, you'd think WarnerMedia would want to promote it as part of the service, likewise Scooby Doo which only got a logo. 

3 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they keep the individual streaming services as a way of skinny bundling. I think DC Universe might evolve into a comic book subscription service similar to Marvel Unlimited and the originals and movies move to HBO Max. It wouldn't make sense for a video heavy service with the HBO brand to have comic books.

Edited by Jonwo