Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

The Razzies have always been a trash organization less concerned with rewarding the worst movies of the year than going after the easiest of easy targets for publicity. The only times anyone has taken them even remotely seriously is when celebrities who were in on the joke showed up to collect their awards ala Halle Berry or Sandra Bullock the day before she would win an Oscar.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

The Razzies have always been a trash organization less concerned with rewarding the worst movies of the year than going after the easiest of easy targets for publicity. The only times anyone has taken them even remotely seriously is when celebrities who were in on the joke showed up to collect their awards ala Halle Berry or Sandra Bullock the day before she would win an Oscar.

At one point the Razzies were, I don't want to say "good", but at least "in on the joke" themselves.  More akin to a good roast than anything else.

But at some point they transitioned from roasting to being deeply unfunny and mean spirited. And that is the danger of all "roast comics" — moving from good natured ribbing to mean spirited bile.

I can't say when exactly they made that transition, but they're long past their sell date regardless of when exactly it happened.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJG said:

It still doesn't sit right in my spirit that the Razzies tried to shame that man for having the gall to continue to work and be employed at damn near 70 during a pandemic.

A lot of people dont know is a lot of veteran actors try to get in the roles and make some money so their familiess can be well taken care off especially if they had money issues or something. 

Their name has a lot of value so they to use it before they are gone. 

Edited by Torontofan

18 minutes ago, Porthos said:

At one point the Razzies were, I don't want to say "good", but at least "in on the joke" themselves.  More akin to a good roast than anything else.

But at some point they transitioned from roasting to being deeply unfunny and mean spirited. And that is the danger of all "roast comics" — moving from good natured ribbing to mean spirited bile.

I can't say when exactly they made that transition, but they're long past their sell date regardless of when exactly it happened.

Recently there was an interview with one of the voters for the Razzies who said they regretted voting for Shelley Duvall in The Shining knowing now all the hell that Stanley Kubrick put her through while making it. You could probably go through a bunch of them and find winners/nominees that are now regrettable.

Razzie Awards Founders Regret Shelley Duvall's 'Shining' Nomination - Variety

• Like 1

And thr Will Smith conttroversy is not going away.

Academy said it wil take appropriate action.

A coupld o days ago I would have  said the chances of Smith  being stripped of is Oscar were about zero. Now I think it is a real possibility.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

A coupld o days ago I would have  said the chances of Smith  being stripped of is Oscar were about zero. Now I think it is a real possibility.

Oscars and Oscar nominations are in the hands of child molesters, violent racists, rapists, homophobes, and murderers (this years in-memoriam honoured a man that raped and attacked one of the lead actresses from Coda who was in attendance). 

They’re not gonna do a damn thing over a man slapping a man that insulted his wife. Maybe suspend him for a year

• Like 5

5 hours ago, AJG said:

Oscars and Oscar nominations are in the hands of child molesters, violent racists, rapists, homophobes, and murderers (this years in-memoriam honoured a man that raped and attacked one of the lead actresses from Coda who was in attendance). 

They’re not gonna do a damn thing over a man slapping a man that insulted his wife. Maybe suspend him for a year

It's destined for next year for Will and Chris to present an award together and make some cringe jokes about it

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AJG said:

FWIW Matlin did respond to Hurt's death as her allegations against him resurfaced at the time.

“You’re the first person to ask me about him,” Matlin told ET. “We’ve lost a really great actor and working with him on set in ‘Children of a Lesser God’ will always be something I remember very fondly. He taught me a great deal as an actor and he was one-of-a-kind.”

Marlee Matlin Reacts to William Hurt's Death Following Rape Allegation - Variety

Just gonna assume they made up over the years and, at least publicly, she no longer harbors any ill feelings towards him.

Edited by filmlover

15 hours ago, dudalb said:

Harvey Weinstein raped people.  He still has his Oscars.  Smith will keep his,

8 hours ago, baumer said:

Harvey Weinstein raped people.  He still has his Oscars.  Smith will keep his,

I think Smith will keep his Oscar, but be stripped of his Acedemy membership.and sure as hell will not be asked to give out the best actress Oscar next year.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 5:42 PM, AJG said:

It still doesn't sit right in my spirit that the Razzies tried to shame that man for having the gall to continue to work and be employed at damn near 70 during a pandemic.

damn. Just like that

36 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I think Smith will keep his Oscar, but be stripped of his Acedemy membership.and sure as hell will not be asked to give out the best actress Oscar next year.

They’re not going to give him the same punishment they gave Weinstein and Polanski. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I AM A CINEMATIC UNIVERSE BAH GAWD

I am no longer the Resident SW Shill and Apologist tho. :sadfleck:

(seriously though, hope User Titles come back at some point, as they were a fun perk)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

The release of The Bubble made me ponder how COVID storytelling developed. Its almost like Marvel Phases.

Phase 1. Shows drastically altering or shutting down production to laughable results (Empire finale, The Blacklist)

Phase 2. Shows and Movies made in lockdown about COVID (Michael Bay's Songbird / NBC's Connecting [which was promptly cancelled]).

Phase 3. Mainstream Shows having COVID 'special' episodes (which were derided online).

Phase 4. Shows only briefly acknowledging COVID (Insecure)

Phase 5. Shows acting like Lockdown never even happened (Succession).

• Like 1

The Bubble looks so lame and immediately dated. Pretty sad how Apatow has fallen from The New King of Hollywood to making no1curr projects such as this in a span of less than 15 years (even though it's hardly his biggest public blunder this week).

The Bubble just looks like hacky shit. the jokes people were making two years ago. also i know it's apatow and this is his whole thing but that movie being over 2 hours is insane. that is such a 90 minute premise c'mon man.

• Like 1