Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

9 hours ago, Napoleon said:

It's interesting to see the Lord of the Rings show being picked on by the anti-woke people when House of the Dragon is the one with a much more explicit political message and it's facing no backlash. I guess there are more nuance to the complaints (it's more about being faithful to the source material than pure hate for diversity) but still, I would never guess Rings of Power would be the one generating that kind of controversy if I was just watching them without any knowledge.

I think one of the added benefits of having a product that is really engaging with voice & vision behind it is that it tends to make it a lot harder for people of any stripe to dog-pile it.  The fact that House of the Dragon doesn't seem to be getting any backlash at all despite the obvious feminist undertones, the race-swapping of House Velaryon, and a famously bad final season of GOT makes a strong case for that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

If Avatar 2 lives up to half the hype some parts of this forum have for it, it could really throw some weight around

i can see it, but top gun being really embraced by the oldheads who are all "CGI is ruining movies*. they don't make 'em like this anymore!" might give it a leg up i feel. it will succeed where all the recent mega blockbusters failed because of the boomer appeal.

*yes i know top gun actually has lots of CGI in it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cannastop said:

Kind of a flop year for Oscar bait, no?

Not a great year for Netflix either. Mentioned in the other thread that this is looking to be the first year in a while that all the Best Picture nominees are likely to be theatrical exclusives first, which is a bit of a "take that" to those claiming movie theaters are dead (and feeding into the notion that The Netflix Era is beginning to wind down).

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Not a great year for Netflix either. Mentioned in the other thread that this is looking to be the first year in a while that all the Best Picture nominees are likely to be theatrical exclusives first, which is a bit of a "take that" to those claiming movie theaters are dead (and feeding into the notion that The Netflix Era is beginning to wind down).

It's a great year for Netflix animation, though.

They could have three nominations at the Oscars (Del Toro's Pinocchio, Wendell & Wild, My Father's Dragon) and they even have Sea Beast which got great reviews.

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

If the reviews are strong, I think they could get the new All Quiet on the Western Front into the lineup. There’s usually at least one international movie in Best Picture. It's in German, so that should help differentiate it from the other versions and blunt some of the anti-remake sentiments.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl