Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Moderation: Please abstain from politics in this thread. We have a dedicated thread for US politics as well as other countries in the Politics section of the General Forum. Thanks

On 6/29/2024 at 10:23 AM, cannastop said:

EDIT: removed misleading news link about SONY and physical media. The news link was about about rewritable media, not home physical media.

Just your edit about this a few days later, and I have to admit the precise wording did strike me at the time that it might be about the physical manufacturing of discs and not about movies/games/what have you.  Still, exiting the rewritable media market ain't exactly good, either, but perhaps not as catastrophic as it might have seemed.

(will admit to also wondering if they were also talking about manufacturing discs for other companies/outfits which would be bad, but more second-order/knock off effects bad).

Good to see that my instincts were in fact right about this.

• Like 1

Can't do it in the US for a loooooong list of reasons, but I have to say that the UK system of getting all the local candidates on a stage and announcing the results in front of their faces is hella cool.  One of the things I've always loved about watching UK Election Nights.

(election junkie making a VERY non-political post here)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Porthos said:

Can't do it in the US for a loooooong list of reasons, but I have to say that the UK system of getting all the local candidates on a stage and announcing the results in front of their faces is hella cool.  One of the things I've always loved about watching UK Election Nights.

(election junkie making a VERY non-political post here)

Would be so cool to have Vermin Supreme standing next to The Rent is too Goddamn High guy.

• Like 2

Who knew Little Women was such a valuable IP to these Christian entertainment groups lol? There was another modern day version produced by one of those faith-based studios that arrived a year before the Gerwig version and flopped into oblivion.

34 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Who knew Little Women was such a valuable IP to these Christian entertainment groups lol? There was another modern day version produced by one of those faith-based studios that arrived a year before the Gerwig version and flopped into oblivion.

Great American Family is the network that sprang up after Hallmark became too "woke" aka putting diverse and same-sex couples in their G-rated romances, and all the conservative types flounced. Last year GAF ranked as the 77th most watched network in the US (Hallmark was 12th), so they might as well try latching onto legacy IP since extra cheap Christmas movies aren't doing much for them.

That cast, though... It's called "Little Women" because it takes place as the sisters go on a journey from being girls to young women during the story. Jen Lilley hits 40 this year and Laura Osnes turns 39. Must be a loose adaptation lol...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Great American Family is the network that sprang up after Hallmark became too "woke" aka putting diverse and same-sex couples in their G-rated romances, and all the conservative types flounced. Last year GAF ranked as the 77th most watched network in the US (Hallmark was 12th), so they might as well try latching onto legacy IP since extra cheap Christmas movies aren't doing much for them.

That cast, though... It's called "Little Women" because it takes place as the sisters go on a journey from being girls to young women during the story. Jen Lilley hits 40 this year and Laura Osnes turns 39. Must be a loose adaptation lol...

I already knew it was the network Candace Cameron Bure endorsed and was then mocked for over her tone deaf statements (followed by her pathetic attempts at victimhood by blaming the media for the idiocy that comes out of her mouth). They ain't looking to compete for any Emmys, that's for sure.

They probably thought if Miss Flo could try and pass as a young girl in the flashbacks in the Gerwig movie, they could go in the opposite direction by casting people obviously too old for the roles in this one lmao.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I already knew it was the network Candace Cameron Bure endorsed and was then mocked for over her tone deaf statements (followed by her pathetic attempts at victimhood by blaming the media for the idiocy that comes out of her mouth). They ain't looking to compete for any Emmys, that's for sure.

They probably thought if Miss Flo could try and pass as a young girl in the flashbacks in the Gerwig movie, they could go in the opposite direction by casting people obviously too old for the roles in this one lmao.

I'd love to see how any version of Little Women with a 39 year old Beth would even work. There's a version where you can catch up with them later in life, and adulthood in the US is often delayed now compared to the 1860s, but still... In G-rated TV Christmas movies, I guess everyone gets to live happily ever after?

...congratulations? She's really making up for all the lost time in prison.