Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

38 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

http://deadline.com/2017/11/ava-duvernay-boycott-disney-screenings-los-angeles-times-blackout-1202203326/

Ava DuVernay’s standing with the journalists and the Disney boycott. Good.

I am sure Bob Iger is loosing his sleep at night over this.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I give it by Thursday that Disney changes their mind about the whole LAT thing. They're all about protecting their image, and this definitely isn't a good look for them.

And in the grand scheme it's a mere blip on their radar.

Just now, cannastop said:

4 Critics Groups Denounce Disney’s Blackout of LA Times, Disqualify Studio From Awards

https://www.thewrap.com/critics-denounce-disney-blackout-la-times-disqualify-awards/

I really hope that Disney sees the light here.

I was just about to post this. If people who have actually worked or are working with them (like DuVernay) continue joining in, they will drop this blackout faster than you can say "Luke Skywalker."

25 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Are you really defending Disney here?

No they're wrong for the blackout.   But at the same time they do have to defend their business interests. 

Edited by DAR

1 hour ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

“Basic reporting” isn’t being unfairly attacked, though. 

It wasn't 'basic reporting'.  It was a hatchet job.  It misconstrued, distorted and in a few cases made up 'facts' that have been in the public domain for years.  Those of us that covered the Disney parks are very well aware of the events leading to the building of the 2nd gate.  Many of us were pushing the idea that it was time for Disneyland to expand outside of Anaheim and that it was pointless to reinvest in an park that had such limited  and expensive expansion potential.  The Disney Sea park ( best Disney park in the world ) could've been built in CA instead of Japan.  I am more than happy to debate the issues brought up by the article point by point but that belongs in another thread.  However I'm guessing that people are more interested in just bashing the 'evil large company' without worrying about both sides of the story. ( like the LA times did )

The public-private relationship between Anaheim and the multitude of companies ( not just the evil Disney ) that have invested billions in the resort district has been beneficial to all parties.  

Those that believe that Disney (and the other companies) would have made the investments into the area without the tax subsidies do not know what they are talking about.  The parks had fallen into disarray  and zero investment was happening.  Multiple times the idea of selling the operating rights to the USA Disney parks was explored and about 10 or so years ago the board approved negotiations to do so.  Luckily for everyone involved that fell through and Disney decided to invest billions into the new DCA and  having continued with Star Wars land and (finally) a new hotel.

Is it smart to retaliate against a newspaper?  Probably not but it gets old that newspapers are portraying biased opinion articles  as 'journalism'  

• Like 1

Disney needs to calm the fuck down. They're by far the most successful studio and the only one to hit a staggering $3b at the domestic box office in a single year, but this reeks of putrid greed. 

Bravo on Ava for being a director to an upcoming blockbuster Disney film and standing against them. I was always going to see A Wrinkle In Time in theaters, but this might make me book an extra ticket just for the sake of it. 

• Like 3