Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

So, in research for film school stuff, I came to find the existance of a documentary called Kate Plays Christine. Apparently the story behind this is that of a news anchor who...... shot and killed herself live on air. Jesus fucking Christ. I ended up not choosing this as my project to watch and discuss (as someone who struggled w/depression before, though thankfully always strong enough to never consider suicide, I feel like this would hit a little too close home), but I searched up more about this story, and found that besides that doc, there's an actual biopic released in the same year starring Rebecca Hall.

Has anyone seen any of these movies? Because it's such a bizarre, bleak, and yet fascinating story at the same time. Must've been traumatizing for everyone on the studio and watching at the time.

28 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

So, in research for film school stuff, I came to find the existance of a documentary called Kate Plays Christine. Apparently the story behind this is that of a news anchor who...... shot and killed herself live on air. Jesus fucking Christ. I ended up not choosing this as my project to watch and discuss (as someone who struggled w/depression before, though thankfully always strong enough to never consider suicide, I feel like this would hit a little too close home), but I searched up more about this story, and found that besides that doc, there's an actual biopic released in the same year starring Rebecca Hall.

Has anyone seen any of these movies? Because it's such a bizarre, bleak, and yet fascinating story at the same time. Must've been traumatizing for everyone on the studio and watching at the time.

The movies had got coverage a couple of years ago when both premiered at Sundance at the same time. There is no surviving video of the suicide

http://www.vulture.com/2016/01/death-hags-christine-chubbuck-suicide-video.html

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The movies had got coverage a couple of years ago when both premiered at Sundance at the same time. There is no surviving video of the suicide

http://www.vulture.com/2016/01/death-hags-christine-chubbuck-suicide-video.html

There is a surviving video tape of the suicide tho. Good on them for not releasing it.

The footage of Chubbuck's death has not been seen since its initial airing, and numerous theories on what happened to the footage have been advanced. One was that the station owner Robert Nelson kept it, and it was in the possession of his widowed wife, Mollie. It was confirmed in June 2016 that the footage of Chubbuck's death exists and had indeed been in Robert Nelson's possession, but was handed over to a "very large law firm" for safekeeping by Mollie Nelson. She has no plans on making it publicly available.[25]

In 2007, Greg Chubbuck spoke publicly about his sister for the first time since 1974 in an E! Entertainment Television special.[26] In 2016, Greg gave an interview to The Sunnewspaper, stating that he had gained possession of the videotape of his sister's suicide, but had never seen it and intended that it never be shown or released.[15]

• Like 1

Taco Hell's Nacho Fries:

Not that bad, actually.  Perhaps surprisingly so.  They're really just seasoned fries with a jumped up name and a dipping sauce.

So, yeah.  Might just become popular enough to stick around for a while.

12 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Taco Hell's Nacho Fries:

Not that bad, actually.  Perhaps surprisingly so.  They're really just seasoned fries with a jumped up name and a dipping sauce.

So, yeah.  Might just become popular enough to stick around for a while.

And when someone else  tried to eat one you said those are nach yo fries

• Like 2

Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:

Curious to know why did you find it annoying.

i just feel like they went with the most obvious socially awkward weirdo character study imaginable. Hall, who i usually like, was hamming it up too much for me. i dunno if the real christine was like that but as a movie i didn't buy it. that movie had a lot of fans though, so i dunno, don't let me put you off.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 75Live said:

saw the finale of the Assassination of Gianni Versace and I hate to say it, it kind of went off with a whimper.  I thought there were some really good episodes and moments in the series, but I had issues with some of this episode which I won't spoil.

Overall, still a good series and worth a watch, but not sure how they could have made the ending better, but which they found a way

I thought it was a fine finale to a mostly strong season. I think the backwards way of telling the story and detailing Andrew Cunanan's descent is why the series ended up working so well. The title ended up being really misleading, although I guess they wanted a hook to lure in people (I'm legit curious how many people went into this unaware that Versace's murder was the culmination of a series of murders by Cunanan).

It was obviously a step down from People v. O.J. Simpson (which was always going to be a tall order to match up to anyway) but I will say that this season was a much stronger acting showcase than that one was. That was all about the transcendent performances from Sarah Paulson and Courtney B. Vance with everyone else working in their shadow (or just over the top - hi, Travolta!). Darren Criss was obviously a tour de force in this, but they did an impeccable job of giving the various other players like Judith Light, Max Greenfield, Cody Fern, Finn Wittrock, etc. their moments to shine.

Edited by filmlover

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

btw i think i got to about episode 4 when i determined that Pete was the best character and in 8 years of the show that opinion NEVER CHANGED

Pete's such a shitlord. I love him. I want my Pete Campbell spinoff. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1