Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

4 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

But that's what you are saying; that harming a person that is already harmed gives an aliby.

Yep, for a person to commit suicide they need to have faced lots of shit and also done mistakes by themselves but that doesn't give the show the right to romanticize the idea for them.

i just don't think a show needs to curb itself for a certain segment of people who may or may not watch it. i think it has "the right" to do what it wants.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i just don't think a show needs to curb itself for a certain segment of people who may or may not watch it. i think it has "the right" to do what it wants.

Well it's ok... I respect your approach although I personally disagree.

At least I got happy that with the second season there was a warning.

Edited by FantasticBeasts
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

The backlash against 13RY is from actual professionals who realized the show could serve as a trigger due to the mishandling of the issue and not appropriately showing how an individual could get help (and even worse, showing the counselors and parents to be oblivious idiots)

It does. Hell it pushes it to the point where the writers want the audience to root for the shooter. 

Btw, I have that one friend of mine that's got depression for many years and his psychiatrist strongly warned his parents for the show. When I first watched it, I was a bit nah on the whole criticism that it was facing but after they told me  I started seeing it from a different perspective...

I may actually be biased due to that though...

Edited by FantasticBeasts

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Completely disagree, given that certain segment is their target audience.

Media is highly influential, and show creators choosing to cover real or sticky topics have a responsibility to cover them accurately and with reservation.

While this isnt isn’t an exact comparison It’s the same reason things like Song of the South got buried from Disney and that Pocahontas is wildly criticized.  Because they take hard subjects and romanticize them in a dangerous way that miseducates a young target audience.

Media is influential and so I don’t believe creators should be given public permission to spew whatever message they please on a major platform.

• Like 1

Ok but that sounds like a show that's conveying a message poorly (because I think we agree that "suicide is pretty cool" is not the intention of the message they "spew") so it sounds like u just want bad art to be banned? idk. Also again I just don't think they have a responsibility to anything. I'm not sure suicidal people was the target demo like you're saying. We just disagree on this.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AJG said:

“That guy didn’t shoot up the school because he had ‘mental health’ issues, he shot it because he played Call of Duty”

Thats how dumb the 13 Reasons Why-Causes Suicide argument sounds to me.

Everyone engaging in some one source/one cause for an action is almost certainly wrong.

Those shows, music, games or imagery glorified are not necessarily causing the distress in all case (in very few case, usually when involving something really strong like religion you can see that happening too people with a long history of reasonable life, no identifiable brain illness engaging into extreme behavior in just 6 month), but can orient the action or trigger the little difference between passing to the act or not, everybody has mental issues all around the world how they act with it change from culture to culture and do not lead to school shooting at the sate rate, who they target for example can be affected by the zeitgeist (that said for your specific example, everybody is playing call of duty).

And there is 2 different and distinct subject here, the scientific claim did a show/art expression that is massively seen has a reasonable risk of having effect X that can be talked about. Than a different claim that this is effect is a big enough one to do something about it, one that make it ok to try to force people into censorship and so on. Who decide what is dangerous enough and for who ?, etc....

There is some strange extreme that take it so far, if a cast member of a Netflix TV show scream racial stuff in real life, the show should be cancelled !?!! What about a sound guy, a grip or a PA ? What does has simple actor in real life has anything to do with any of this ?

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AJG said:

People should be addressing the issues that caused those people to initially have those thoughts and ideas rather than wasting time and distracting from the actual problems by blaming a TV show.

This is a completely different show from 13RW, but remember the whole "controversy" around Peter Rabbit because parents were worried they would imitate it and make kids with allergies eat the food they're allergic to or some shit?  I'm pretty sure if your kid decides to do that after watching that movie, they're a fucking psychopath.

18 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Apple really need to start detailing how this is all gonna work. What’s the name of the service? Currently you need a £100+ Apple TV to watch their current Apple Music stuff on a TV, will it be on Roku?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

This "modern sensibility" thing strikes me as such lazy bullshit. Yay let's stick it to the "constraints of society, gender, and family" of the 19th century by turning Emily fucking Dickinson into a character from 2018.