Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

What absolutely strikes me in current popular music is that every song is driven by the beat and rhythm.

So much that melodies & chord progession ( the actual music) are either 

- non existent

- poor

- lame

- simplisistic

- unmemorable

- buried under the Beat

- a horrible and insufferable combination of all of the above

Only The Beat Matters it seems.

#Progress

29 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

What absolutely strikes me in current popular music is that every song is driven by the beat and rhythm.

So much that melodies & chord progession ( the actual music) are either 

- non existent

- poor

- lame

- simplisistic

- unmemorable

- buried under the Beat

- a horrible and insufferable combination of all of the above

Only The Beat Matters it seems.

#Progress

2 hours ago, aabattery said:

The NZIFF schedule was put up.

https://www.nziff.co.nz/2018/auckland/films/title/

Lotsa neat things, dunno which ones I wanna try check out. Was hoping BlacKkKlansman would make it down here but alas.

If I were you I’d try to see Burning, Climax, Cold War, Disobedience, First Reformed, Miseducation of Cameron Post, RBG, The Rider, Searching, Shoplifters, Wildlife, and You Were Never Really Here.  For the record, I have no idea how many of these you can actually see but I’m just throwing out some suggestions.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AJG said:

Westworld season 2 DONE

Let's get to it: this shit is ridiculous. They told what turned out to be a fairly simple story completely out of order, for what I assume was a lazy attempt to have several cliffhangers in each episode. Sadly this resulted in a confused mess of a show that I couldn't follow or was just too bored to follow. 

I decided to wait until the last episode before I judged the whole thing. The revelations presented here were so fucking basic that I kinda got mad that I decided to fight and power through this season. Part of me thinks that even if they re-edited the season to be coherent I doubt I'd view the season and it's finale favourably. 

You can skip it if you're on the fence.

I might finish the season out of curiosity, but I’m not looking forward to it. The ratings dropoff next season is going to be massive, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the Emmys dropped it for Killing Eve this year

6 hours ago, AJG said:

It did fine. It came out on a Saturday, not a Friday so they had one less days to chart, had no promo, and didn't appear on any other paid streaming service apart from Tidal until Tuesday (three days after release. It didn't come to any free streaming app until today)

No it didn't do fine. Lemonade was a Tidal excluaive all week. Her self titled had 3 days of sales.

Both of those two did 6 times more. That's like Avengers 4 opening with 40m without previews and saying it did "fine".

The only reasonable argument is that it was titled as The Carters so a bit of brand name was worn out.

8 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

No it didn't do fine. Lemonade was a Tidal excluaive all week. Her self titled had 3 days of sales.

Both of those two did 6 times more. That's like Avengers 4 opening with 40m without previews and saying it did "fine".

The only reasonable argument is that it was titled as The Carters so a bit of brand name was worn out.

Didn't Lemonade have a promotional single and music video, and weeks of promo that culminated in a full length movie on HBO or did that not happen?

Edited by AJG

39 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I might finish the season out of curiosity, but I’m not looking forward to it. The ratings dropoff next season is going to be massive, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the Emmys dropped it for Killing Eve this year

It wasn't good. The episode featured things so baffling and random the creator of the show gave an immeadiate interview to explain what just happened. 

And yeah... the ratings for season 3 will be absolutely toilet. I can't think of a single person that I could recommend it to and that shouldn't be the case. It's such a basic story but it's told so frustratingly.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

The Gambino song and the Harley song have the same subject/flow/structure but it's not enough to take to court because the lyrics/melody are different. Gambino was for sure "inspired" by it though that much is obvious

I don’t even know if you could prove that Gambino was inspired by it.

The content is similar, but it’s not an entirely unique subject for the genre. And the rhythms are similar, but certainly not the same.  The structure also has similarities, but that’s just because most modern music follows a couple of musical structures.

The songs aren’t anymore alike than two generic country songs about boobs and beer.

7 hours ago, AJG said:

Westworld season 2 DONE

Let's get to it: this shit is ridiculous. They told what turned out to be a fairly simple story completely out of order, for what I assume was a lazy attempt to have several cliffhangers in each episode. Sadly this resulted in a confused mess of a show that I couldn't follow or was just too bored to follow. 

I decided to wait until the last episode before I judged the whole thing. The revelations presented here were so fucking basic that I kinda got mad that I decided to fight and power through this season. Part of me thinks that even if they re-edited the season to be coherent I doubt I'd view the season and it's finale favourably. 

You can skip it if you're on the fence.

I was curious about starting the show because I had heard good things (but not great).  But I’ve been more on the fence because it just wasn’t something I felt overly interested in watching.

Seems like I might just skip it entirely

35 minutes ago, AJG said:

Didn't Lemonade have a promotional single and music video, and weeks of promo that culminated in a full length movie on HBO or did that not happen?

With due respect, I have followed the music industry for nearly a decade. I think I know very well when an album is doing fine or not. Lemonade didn't have that much of promo If you consider that the release of it was a surprise. Yes it had a promotional single which wasn't available for purchase. was a Tidal exclusive and was receiving small impressions on radio. I am not doubting that it had more promo. But that promo cannot explain such a huge drop.

Also, as I said her Self-titled album with absolutely no promo, a surprise release and 3 days of availability sold 10 times more. 

The numbers are underwhelming and there is no way to spin it. Anything for Beyonce under 200,000 is a disapointment under any circumstances.

4 hours ago, aabattery said:

The NZIFF schedule was put up.

https://www.nziff.co.nz/2018/auckland/films/title/

Lotsa neat things, dunno which ones I wanna try check out. Was hoping BlacKkKlansman would make it down here but alas.

My picks would be Burning, Climax, Cold War, First Reformed, The Green Fog (but make sure to rewatch or watch Vertigo before that one), Let the Corpses Tan, Madeline's Madeline and Shoplifters. You Were Never Really Here will have already been out on streaming by that time (if it's not already) but it's very much worth seeing on the big screen.

Might as well catch The General and Wings of Desire on the big screen too since you're getting the chance.

• Like 1