Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

7 hours ago, rukaio101 said:

So I had an interesting double screening last night with Ocean's 8 and Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms. Went somewhat like this.

Ocean's 8: *after screening* "Hah, that was cute. It was a bit slight and probably fairly forgettable, but I still had fun. Hope the other movie will be as enjoyable."

Maquia: *after screening*

1z9pg1.jpg

Maquia didn't click with me that much. It was good, but it didn't smack me in the feels like I hoped it would. 

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I do not. Chungking is still OOP but it’s rumored for a rerelease later this year. Colonel Blimp is one I should check out

Looking through the 275 Criterions icheckmovies tells me I've seen. The 400 Blows, Stray Dog, High and Low, Andrei Rublev, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Day of Wrath, Brief Encounter, The Third Man, Withnail & I, Smiles of a Summer Night, Diary of a Country Priest, Naked, Topsy-Turvy, Pierrot le Fou, The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, The Last Days of Disco, The Night of the Hunter, Five Easy Pieces, Design for Living, Letter Never Sent, Repo Man, Nashville, Thief, The Long Day Closes, Persona, The Innocents, Safe, The Palm Beach Story, Chimes at Midnight, Barry Lyndon, The Age of Innocence are all among my favorites. And that's to start with (and in addition to what's already been mentioned). Not sure if I'm helping you here or just making the choice more difficult, but there ya go

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Looking through the 275 Criterions icheckmovies tells me I've seen. The 400 Blows, Stray Dog, High and Low, Andrei Rublev, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Day of Wrath, Brief Encounter, The Third Man, Withnail & I, Smiles of a Summer Night, Diary of a Country Priest, Naked, Topsy-Turvy, Pierrot le Fou, The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, The Last Days of Disco, The Night of the Hunter, Five Easy Pieces, Design for Living, Letter Never Sent, Repo Man, Nashville, Thief, The Long Day Closes, Persona, The Innocents, Safe, The Palm Beach Story, Chimes at Midnight, Barry Lyndon, The Age of Innocence are all among my favorites. And that's to start with (and in addition to what's already been mentioned). Not sure if I'm helping you here or just making the choice more difficult, but there ya go

🤔

Age of Innocence is one of my likely buys. I was looking to get another Altman after The Player last summer, so perhaps Nashville is my best option. As far as Bergman’s stuff, Persona is generally considered a little out there for an introduction to his filmography, yes?

Wow! One of the greats of science fiction writing. His scripts for the 80's Twilight Zone were some of the best of the series. I might watch his episode of Star Trek later tonight. RIP!!!

Edited by Fancyarcher

26 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Maquia didn't click with me that much. It was good, but it didn't smack me in the feels like I hoped it would. 

Oh, I can definitely understand not loving it. I'll be the first to admit it was flawed, melodramatic as all hell and a bit sloppy pacing-wise in a few places.

But for me, it hit like a freighter-truck in all the weak points that get me right in the feels. Family, growing older and apart, lost opportunities, farewells and the lingering inevitability of death and loss. Didn't cry, but it was a damn close thing. (Plus, I can count the number of movies I've actually cried at on one hand, so...)

In addition, I also went into the movie with the foreknowledge that the writer/director, Mari Okoda, was apparently raised by her young, single mother who she had a bit of a tumultuous relationship with, and that really just added an extra layer of meaning, passion and emotional honesty to it for me. Especially since there are a bunch of exchanges I could easily see possibly just being outright taken from Okoda's own life.

Like I said, it's not without its flaws and I can entirely see why you wouldn't be so enamored if it didn't quite click with you, but trust me when I say that, as someone it did click with, it really did hit me hard. Gonna have to wait a few weeks to see how it settles but at the moment, it genuinely has a really good chance of topping my Best of 2018 list.

*Which also inevitably means it has no chance of a Best Animated Feature nomination in the Oscars because everything I always stan for there almost inevitably withers and dies.

13 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

🤔

Age of Innocence is one of my likely buys. I was looking to get another Altman after The Player last summer, so perhaps Nashville is my best option. As far as Bergman’s stuff, Persona is generally considered a little out there for an introduction to his filmography, yes?

A little but really that's because it's just too awesome. It was my second Bergman and I immediately loved it. Although I was disappointed afterwards when nothing else I saw from him was quite as great. But if you wanna proceed with more caution then The Seventh Seal is a better place to start, sure. Summer Interlude and Smiles of a Summer Night are two other very good early ones. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

I do not. Chungking is still OOP but it’s rumored for a rerelease later this year. Colonel Blimp is one I should check out

I haven't seen Colonel Blimp but if they have A Matter of Life and Death from Powell and Pressburger definitely give that one some consideration

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rukaio101 said:

Oh, I can definitely understand not loving it. I'll be the first to admit it was flawed, melodramatic as all hell and a bit sloppy pacing-wise in a few places.

But for me, it hit like a freighter-truck in all the weak points that get me right in the feels. Family, growing older and apart, lost opportunities, farewells and the lingering inevitability of death and loss. Didn't cry, but it was a damn close thing. (Plus, I can count the number of movies I've actually cried at on one hand, so...)

In addition, I also went into the movie with the foreknowledge that the writer/director, Mari Okoda, was apparently raised by her young, single mother who she had a bit of a tumultuous relationship with, and that really just added an extra layer of meaning, passion and emotional honesty to it for me. Especially since there are a bunch of exchanges I could easily see possibly just being outright taken from Okoda's own life.

Like I said, it's not without its flaws and I can entirely see why you wouldn't be so enamored if it didn't quite click with you, but trust me when I say that, as someone it did click with, it really did hit me hard. Gonna have to wait a few weeks to see how it settles but at the moment, it genuinely has a really good chance of topping my Best of 2018 list.

*Which also inevitably means it has no chance of a Best Animated Feature nomination in the Oscars because everything I always stan for there almost inevitably withers and dies.

Have we got any other big anime releases coming this year? Seems very quiet this year. Especially given Mirai is autumn at best. 

22 minutes ago, DAR said:

I haven't seen Colonel Blimp but if they have A Matter of Life and Death from Powell and Pressburger definitely give that one some consideration

Can't really go wrong with those guys in general. Blimp is my fav of those I've seen though. Maybe my favorite protagonist in all of film.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Have we got any other big anime releases coming this year? Seems very quiet this year. Especially given Mirai is autumn at best. 

Theres this. It says it’s from the studio behind “Your Name” but apparently that only means it’s animated by the same people

8 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

red shoes is my favourite. red shoes, yeah! that ballet sequence though. the best 15 minute chunk of movie ever period.

I was also considering this one. Scorsese has some special features on the disc 🤔