Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

11 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

There's an entire different context around that movie c'mon I think you know that.

lol I do, of course. Obviously Set It Up wouldn't have been a smash hit as a theatrical release but it could've done some decent numbers. If anything, we're seeing these days that will people will check a film out when the quality is there (I can barely remember the last non-comic book, non-Fifty Shades movie that got poor reviews that actually flourished at the box office). 

Edit: oh yeah, those Daddy's Home movies. I did my best to block them out.

Edited by filmlover

35 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

it seems like it's done well on netflix though. both that and To All The Boys I Loved Before both probably got more eyes on them and buzz through that release strategy. can't imagine either making a dent with a cinema release.

Speaking of Netflix, this came across my Twitter feed. Fans saying "We didn't pay for it but we might watch it for free"

Just now, grim22 said:

Speaking of Netflix, this came across my Twitter feed. Fans saying "We didn't pay for it but we might watch it for free"

I predict this will go about as well as that Vampire Academy sequel Kickstarter that ended tragically.

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

lol I do, of course. Obviously Set It Up wouldn't have been a smash hit as a theatrical release but it could've done some decent numbers. If anything, we're seeing these days that will people will check a film out when the quality is there (I can barely remember the last non-comic book, non-Fifty Shades movie that got poor reviews that actually flourished at the box office). 

Edit: oh yeah, those Daddy's Home movies. I did my best to block them out.

In the family genre it happen, Boss Baby and Greatest showman were 2 rotten movie big phenomenom. Sequels always can obviously (Pitch Perfect 3), religious I can Only Imagine got bunker bo with a 65% RT, horror is an other one that can pull it like with Insidious the last key (32% RT, 160m at the box office).

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

In the family genre it happen, Boss Baby and Greatest showman were 2 rotten movie big phenomenom. Sequels always can obviously (Pitch Perfect 3), religious I can Only Imagine got bunker bo with a 65% RT, horror is an other one that can pull it like with Insidious the last key (32% RT, 160m at the box office).

Neither of those movies were even close to savaged though. I'm talking the last movie that actually did well but got a sub-20% RT score (and wasn't a sequel that saw a drop-off). Closest I can find is Ride Along with 19%.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Neither of those movies were even close to savaged though. I'm talking the last movie that actually did well but got a sub-20% RT score (and wasn't a sequel that saw a drop-off). Closest I can find is Ride Along with 19%.

Ride Along is 19%?? How?? That’s a pretty decent entertainer which never pretends to be anything more than that. How did 81% of critics hate it 

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Ride Along is 19%?? How?? That’s a pretty decent entertainer which never pretends to be anything more than that. How did 81% of critics hate it 

I didn't hate it that much but it's definitely extremely forgettable. Like I can't remember anything about it four years later other than that Laurence Fishburne showed up late in the movie for the reveal of the real bad guy.

Edited by filmlover

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Well pre-establish franchise not really counting those can work.

The shack made 5.x times is budget with a 100m run

All eyes on me is a biopic

Truth or dare made 100m with a 14 RT

Emoji made 217m with a 8% RT

Really not many, using that web site to get all the movie with a less than 20% RT:

https://flickmetrix.com/

They do tend to fail.

But if you look at those above 95%, it is quite common to fail also.

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

But if you look at those above 95%, it is quite common to fail also.

I feel like most studio efforts that score that high tend to succeed big time these days. It's stuff that's either too indie or too inaccessible that struggles to reach a broader audience.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I feel like most studio efforts that score that high tend to succeed big time these days. It's stuff that's either too indie or too inaccessible that struggles to reach a broader audience.

It is rare, but even 85%+ with studio distribution it still happen to not succeed big time.

Nice Guys (92%)

Kube & 2 strings (97%), I think that one even appear on the list of the biggest bomb ever wikipedia page

The Edge of Seventeen (95%)

Paddington 2 40m dbo with is 100% RT, not impressive.

Blader Runner (87%)

Arguably War for the planet of the apes (93%)

Annihiliation 87%

Hail Ceasar 85%

American Made 86%

A monster Call (87%)

Everybody Wants Some!! (86%)

Florence Foster Jenkins (87% that commercial failure is a really strange one)

Only the brave (87%)

Or non-studio stuff that looked accessible like

Logan Lucky 93%

Quickly made, could have some error in that list.

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

It is rare, but even 85%+ with studio distribution it still happen to not succeed big time.

Nice Guys (92%)

Kube & 2 strings (97%), I think that one even appear on the list of the biggest bomb ever wikipedia page

The Edge of Seventeen (95%)

Paddington 2 40m dbo with is 100% RT, not impressive.

Blader Runner (87%)

Arguably War for the planet of the apes (93%)

Annihiliation 87%

Hail Ceasar 85%

American Made 86%

A monster Call (87%)

Everybody Wants Some!! (86%)

Florence Foster Jenkins (87% that commercial failure is a really strange one)

Only the brave (87%)

Or non-studio stuff that looked accessible like

Logan Lucky 93%

Quickly made, could have some error in that list.

A lot of these can be easily explained as to why they didn't break out though.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

A lot of these can be easily explained as to why they didn't break out though.

Yes no doubt specialy in hindsight we can pretty much always come up with a reason, but I am not sure lack of quality apply.

Except if we define quality by ability to bring audience in, in some trivial way but that would be constructing a circular argument.

Also I don't see how Florence Foster Jenkins is a "commercial failure?" $27M seems like a fine number for a biopic about a famously untalented singer that was a British-financed production released here long after it had been released overseas.

Edited by filmlover

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Also I don't see how Florence Foster Jenkins is a "commercial failure?" $27M seems like a fine number for a biopic about a famously untalented singer that was a British-financed production released here long after it had been released overseas.

Made 56m on a 29M budget (less than it's budget domestic) for an oscar nominated starring Streep, 4 golden globes with a GG BP nom, a crowd pleasing/emotional affair with good reviews.

It was MPAA studio distributed with what that usually involved in marketing push, maybe it ended playing very well at home, but it did fail to succeed big time.