Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

I just re-watched American Beauty for the first time since the damning revelations about Kevin Spacey came to light. The movie is still damned amazing, but it's definitely now a prime example of a movie that necessitates separating the art from the artist.

Edited by Webslinger

I was randomly watching YouTube videos of Americans staying in Australia comparing both countries. I was surprised to learn that a mundane kitchen appliance that is in virtually every kitchen in Australia is mostly unheard of in the US. 

The electric kettle. 

Apparently it’s mainly due to 110 V mains electricity in the US compared to 240 V mains in Australia.  You guys simply don’t have enough power for a simple electric kettle. 

• Astonished 2
  • ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

I was randomly watching YouTube videos of Americans staying in Australia comparing both countries. I was surprised to learn that a mundane kitchen appliance that is in virtually every kitchen in Australia is mostly unheard of in the US. 

The electric kettle. 

Apparently it’s mainly due to 110 V mains electricity in the US compared to 240 V mains in Australia.  You guys simply don’t have enough power for a simple electric kettle. 

I use an electric kettle (more my brother) but it's a godsend and much faster than a normal kettle. 

22 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

The electric kettle. 

This really explains a lot of what is wrong with America.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DeeCee said:

The electric kettle. 

Trash.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DeeCee said:

The electric kettle. 

It was one of the best things to discover when I moved to the UK, when I visit family back home it feels like going back to the iron age. 

just revisited Changeling (2008) and cleansed my soul from the memories of sitting through it before.  Still have yet to watch Synecdoche, N.Y. but I've been forced to sit through the first half at least 3 times.  I will likely never watch it.

I noticed on the Wikipedia page how much detail went into the making.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changeling_(film)

Eastwood puts a lot of passion into these movies and he even did the scoring on this one + w/ Gran Torino too.

15:17 to Paris flopped with bad reviews and cinemascore this year, but I'm thinking if I read the book first it should put me at an advantage to like the movie and possibly technically differentiate with the critics.

Edited by dX airdry zid

9 hours ago, DeeCee said:

The electric kettle. 

America is best at being behind like 90% of developed countries.

We have a kettle but it's not electric...in retrospect that's a lot of energy to put on a pot on the stovetop when I could just use the Keurig.