Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

The Little Stranger, a strange little haunted-house yarn from director Lenny Abrahamson (Room), creeps into theaters this weekend as quietly as a cold breeze slipping in through a cracked window. Normally, when a studio goes to great lengths to hide an upcoming release—prohibiting reviews until the eleventh hour, mounting an almost nonexistent marketing campaign—it’s because the film in question is plainly an embarrassment, to be buried and then forgotten. But it’s almost the opposite problem facing Focus Features, whose efforts to pass off this Gothic slow burn as a kind of midcentury Conjuring are complicated by the restraint—the unfashionable subtlety—that Abrahamson brings to his material. [...] The director expertly evokes a postwar England without a lot of fuss, sustains an atmosphere of quiet unease, and uses composition to link the physical spaces to the psychic ones. It amounts to his most controlled, elegant filmmaking, and the classiest portrait of paranormal activity to make it to theaters in ages.

That said, very little of the film qualifies as scary. Not that it’s really aiming for that; most of the violence happens off camera, its aftermath given precedence. In truth, The Little Stranger is barely a horror movie at all. It’s more of an impeccably crafted chamber drama with a supernatural bent, like Edith Wharton by way of Shirley Jackson.

https://film.avclub.com/the-little-stranger-isnt-scary-but-it-is-a-supremely-e-1828731407

well I'll keep an eye out for this then. 

1 hour ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Eminem dropped a new album??!?!

Well... I guess I will give it a shot despite the disapointment of Revival.

At least it's way better than the abomination that was Revival. There are a few surprisingly good tracks in there (I thought Eminem in 2018 was incapable of making good music). Obviously there are some awful ones as well.

• Like 1

Today’s the day we find out why Amazon have refused to stop blasting Jack Ryan in for my face for the last 8 months.

I still maintain that the show has one of worst posters of all time

jack-ryan-krasinski-poster-pic.jpg

Mans in 3 countries at once with his arm on fire.

It's sad that Hollywood turned their backs on Woody Allen just for publicity. He's not a sexual predator and he doesn't represent any risk for women in the workplace. He's actually one of the rare male filmmakers who constantly provides good leading roles for actresses. I don't remember exactly the details of the incident with his adopted daughter but that was made public ages ago, he was already judged and forgiven for it. Why bring it back again to punish him? It doesn't make sense to me.

• Knock It Off 2

2 hours ago, The Stingray said:

At least it's way better than the abomination that was Revival. There are a few surprisingly good tracks in there (I thought Eminem in 2018 was incapable of making good music). Obviously there are some awful ones as well.

Good to hear I guess. I listened to Fall and I kinda enjoyed it. Lucky You was kinda meh.

Edited by FantasticBeasts

30 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

It's sad that Hollywood turned their backs on Woody Allen just for publicity. He's not a sexual predator and he doesn't represent any risk for women in the workplace. He's actually one of the rare male filmmakers who constantly provides good leading roles for actresses. I don't remember exactly the details of the incident with his adopted daughter but that was made public ages ago, he was already judged and forgiven for it. Why bring it back again to punish him? It doesn't make sense to me.

I feel as if Woody Allen marrying his teenage foster daughter is all the proof I need to know that he molested his biological daughter.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AJG said:

I feel as if Woody Allen marrying his teenage foster daughter is all the proof I need to know that he molested his biological daughter.

27 is not teenage and she herself has repeatedly stated that he wasn't any kind of a father figure to her while she was growing up.

Edited by Jake Gittes

21 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

27 is not teenage and she herself has repeatedly stated that he wasn't any kind of a father figure to her while she was growing up.

This makes them dating since her teenage years and those nude pics even more fucked up.

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

No he was never forgiven. Hollywood forgive him for the same reason they did Polanski for being one of them. 

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2014/02/woody-allen-sex-abuse-10-facts

Insidious: The Last Key is boring and dry.  There wasn’t a single good scare and the film’s about as generic as horror movies get.

Dont ask me why I’ve seen this one before Eighth Grade, Leave No Trace or Crazy Rich Asians

5 hours ago, Premium George said:

This makes them dating since her teenage years and those nude pics even more fucked up.

I don't follow. How would it make it more fucked-up if they weren't close when she was growing up?

In her own interview with Time, Previn again defended their relationship, saying “I was not raped, molested or manipulated as Mia has hysterically charged, nor am I retarded or mentally slow as she would have you believe.”

“To think that Woody was in any way a father or stepfather to me is laughable,” she continued. “My parents are Andre Previn and Mia, but obviously they're not even my real parents. I came to America when I was 7. I was never remotely close to Woody.”

“Please don't try and dramatize my relationship with Woody Allen,” she said in a statement to Newsweek. “He was never any kind of father figure to me. I never had any dealings with him. He rarely came to our apartment before his own children were born.”

Vehemently denying Mia Farrow’s allegations that Allen had molested the pair’s adopted daughter Dylan Farrow (another major scandal that was simultaneously engulfing the director), Previn continued, “I'm not a retarded little underage flower who was raped, molested and spoiled by some evil stepfather — not by a long shot. I'm a psychology major at college who fell for a man who happens to be the ex-boyfriend of Mia. I admit it's offbeat, but let's not get hysterical. The tragedy here is that, because of Mia's vindictiveness, the children must suffer. I will always have a feeling of love for her because of the opportunities she gave me, but it's hard to forgive much that followed.”

https://www.salon.com/2015/07/30/a_history_of_woody_allen_and_soon_yi_previn_describing_their_relationship_from_the_heart_wants_what_it_wants_to_i_was_paternal/

Those quotes sound pretty straightforward to me. Putting the Dylan Farrow allegation aside, all the Soon-Yi related pearl-clutching has always seemed ridiculous to me, not helped by people's total willingness to muddy the waters by not checking any actually available facts. 

• Like 1