Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

In movie news, I finally watched Deadpool 2 and Wreck It Ralph 2 this week...and both exceeded my lowered expectations from the originals (I didn't think either could recreate the magic, and while they didn't, they did better that I thought:)...

Both had some weird tonal moments and weird plot decisions (and WIR2 struggled to get started)...but both had some of the funniest moments I've seen all year (especially their post credit scenes - there should be an award for that one on here, soon, b/c sometimes these are better than the movies:)...

I gave Deadpool 2 a B+ (leaning to the A-) and Wreck It Ralph 2 another B+ (leaning to the B)...the spouse concurred on Deadpool 2, and the kids agreed for WIR2 (okay, the teens agreed - the boys gave it an A+ and couldn't stop laughing through the entire climax of the film)...

I even put Deadpool 2 into my "probably deserves a top 25 place" this year, even with the plot decision it made with the spouse - not one that I'd have chosen, but they made it work, even if sometimes by literally forcing it to do so...PS - the jumping out of the airplane scene could not have been better - that was worth the price of the movie alone:)...

I only have 1-2 blockbusters left (including MI6, which is next, b/c that seems like one of the most beloved here) and then I can take some time to find some smaller films as we move into a lazier spring (where kid stuff winds down and my time gets longer:)...

• Like 1

@WrathOfHan merry january:

16x:

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World: Incredibles 2, Incredibles 2 Round 2, Incredibles 2 Round 3, Incredibles 2 Round 4, Incredibles 2 Round 5, Smallfoot, The House with a Clock in Its Walls, Ralph Breaks the Internet, Instant Family, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Round 2 3D, The Grinch, Ralph Breaks the Internet Round 2, Bumblebee, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Round 3 Dolby, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Round 4 IMAX, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Round 5 Dolby

13x:

Alita: Battle Angel: Star Wars: The Last Jedi Round 2, Star Wars: The Last Jedi Round 3, Star Wars: The Last Jedi Round 4, Mission: Impossible – Fallout, Alpha, Venom, Once Upon a Deadpool, Widows Round 2, Bohemian Rhapsody, Aquaman, A Star is Born Round 3 Dolby, Free Solo IMAX, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Round 5 Dolby

11x:

Wonder Park: Leave No Trace, Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation, Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again, Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again Round 2, Smallfoot, Ralph Breaks the Internet, Instant Family, Ralph Breaks the Internet Round 2, Bumblebee, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Round 4 IMAX, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Round 5 Dolby

10x:

The Kid Who Would Be King: The House with a Clock in Its Walls, Ralph Breaks the Internet, Instant Family, Once Upon a Deadpool, Ralph Breaks the Internet Round 2, Bumblebee, Mary Poppins Returns, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Round 3 Dolby, The Favourite, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Round 4 IMAX

8x:

The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part: Teen Titans Go! To the Movies, Smallfoot, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Round 2 3D, The Grinch, Aquaman, Ralph Breaks the Internet Round 2, Mary Poppins Returns, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Round 4 IMAX

The Secret Life of Pets 2: Ralph Breaks the Internet, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Round 2 3D, The Grinch, Ralph Breaks the Internet Round 2, Mary Poppins Returns, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Round 3 Dolby, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Round 4 IMAX, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Round 5 Dolby

7x:

A Dog’s Way Home: The Front Runner, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Round 2 3D, The Grinch, Bumblebee, Mary Poppins Returns, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Round 3 Dolby

Rocketman: A Private War, Bohemian Rhapsody, If Beale Street Could Talk, Ben Is Back, A Star is Born Round 3 Dolby, The Mule, On the Basis of Sex

6x:

Dumbo: Ant-Man and the Wasp, Dog Days, Alpha, Ralph Breaks the Internet, Ralph Breaks the Internet Round 2, Mary Poppins Returns

What Men Want: Crazy Rich Asians, Juliet, Naked, Widows Round 2, Bumblebee, Vice, Green Book

Godzilla: King of the Monsters: First Man IMAX, Aquaman, Bumblebee, Vice, Free Solo IMAX, The Mule

Isn’t It Romantic: Instant Family, Vox Lux, The Favourite, If Beale Street Could Talk A Star is Born Round 3 Dolby, Can You Ever Forgive Me? Round 2

The Aftermath: Can You Ever Forgive Me?, A Private War, Vice, The Favourite, Ben Is Back, Can You Ever Forgive Me? Round 2

5x:

Glass: Venom, Halloween Dolby, Overlord, Aquaman, Creed II

Captain Marvel: Halloween Dolby, Overlord, Creed II, Free Solo IMAX, On the Basis of Sex

Miss Bala: The Front Runner, Widows Round 2, The Favourite, Green Book, On the Basis of Sex

Breakthrough: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Round 2 3D, Bohemian Rhapsody, Green Book, The Mule, On the Basis of Sex

Overcomer: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Round 2 3D, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Round 3 Dolby, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Round 4 IMAX, Can You Ever Forgive Me? Round 2, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Round 5 Dolby

4x:

Pet Sematary: Halloween Dolby, Overlord, Once Upon a Deadpool, Aquaman

Escape Room: Overlord, Once Upon a Deadpool, Vox Lux, Vice

SHAZAM!: Smallfoot, Mid90s, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Round 3 Dolby, Free Solo IMAX

Serenity: The Karate Kid, A Private War, Green Book, The Mule

3x:

Cold Pursuit: A Private War, Once Upon a Deadpool, Widows Round 2

Dark Phoenix: First Man IMAX, Overlord, Free Solo IMAX

Arctic: A Star is Born Round 3 Dolby, The Mule, Can You Ever Forgive Me? Round 2

Detective Pikachu: Ralph Breaks the Internet, Once Upon a Deadpool, The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part

2x:

Polaroid: Wind River, Happy Death Day

The New Mutants: Thor: Ragnarok, Thor: Ragnarok Round 2

The Curse of La Llorona: Halloween Dolby, Overlord

Happy Death Day 2U: Halloween Dolby, Once Upon a Deadpool

The Beach Bum: Mid90s, Vox Lux

Stan and Ollie: Widows Round 2, Bohemian Rhapsody

Capernaum: Burning, Shoplifters

Toy Story 4: Ralph Breaks the Internet, Ralph Breaks the Internet Round 2

Uglydolls: Ralph Breaks the Internet Round 2, Mary Poppins Returns

Fighting with My Family: Creed II, Vice

The Prodigy: Overlord, The Mule

Where’d You Go, Bernadette?: Vice, If Beale Street Could Talk

Us: Vice, The Mule

Greta: A Star is Born Round 3 Dolby, On the Basis of Sex

Downton Abbey: Green Book, On the Basis of Sex

Gloria Bell: Ben Is Back, Can You Ever Forgive Me? Round 2

1x:

The Current War: Wind River

Farmageddon: A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Early Man

City of Lies: Hotel Artemis

Aladdin: The Nutcracker and the Four Realms

Avengers: Endgame: Aquaman

The Upside: Aquaman

Missing Link: Bumblebee

The Lion King: Mary Poppins Returns

Five Feet Apart: Ben Is Back

Run the Race: Ben is Back

Police Story 1 & 2 4K: MacGruber

The Best of Enemies: Green Book

Little: Green Book

A Dog’s Journey: On the Basis of Sex

The Mustang: Can You Ever Forgive Me? Round 2

Men in Black International: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Round 5 Dolby

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, DAR said:

It’s -18 below zero right now.   

Celcius or Fahrenheit? If Fahrenheit I hope you do not drive a diesel engine without winter ... term?

Here it got a lot warmer the last few days, we are at -6 °C / ~ 20 °F for the moment (midday)

2 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Celcius or Fahrenheit? If Fahrenheit I hope you do not drive a diesel engine without winter ... term?

Here it got a lot warmer the last few days, we are at -6 °C / ~ 20 °F for the moment (midday)

F

• Astonished 1

26 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Also:

Is Amazon bound and determined to not let Netflix show them up this year? This is like the third movie they paid double digit millions to pick up at Sundance. :lol: But I'm here for Jillian Bell having a leading lady breakthrough!

Pretty sure Amazon's just burning money at this point.

Either that, or more people are watching indie films on Amazon Prime than we could even imagine. One of the two.

2 minutes ago, Slambros said:

Pretty sure Amazon's just burning money at this point.

Either that, or more people are watching indie films on Amazon Prime than we could even imagine. One of the two.

The time it takes for Jeff Bezos to sneeze has him earning a trillion dollars. Amazon's got the coin.

• Like 1

looking at last year

Sundance 2018

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Lifetime Gross / Theaters Opening / Theaters Date
1 Hereditary A24 $44,069,456 2,998 $13,575,172 2,964 6/8/18
2 Searching SGem $26,020,957 2,009 $388,769 9 8/24/18
3 Won't You Be My Neighbor? Focus $22,835,787 893 $475,419 29 6/8/18
4 Sorry to Bother You Annapurna $17,493,096 1,050 $727,266 16 7/6/18
5 RBG Magn. $14,017,361 432 $578,470 34 5/4/18
6 Eighth Grade A24 $13,539,709 1,084 $263,797 4 7/13/18
7 Three Identical Strangers Neon $12,320,845 433 $171,503 5 6/29/18
8 Leave No Trace BST $6,046,104 361 $219,140 9 6/29/18
9 Colette BST $5,137,622 593 $161,179 4 9/21/18
10 Beirut BST $5,019,226 755 $1,734,497 755 4/11/18

actually a little better box office wise than i realized. don't know what's gonna be the highest grossing this year. probably late night? maybe the report if that takes off as an oscar movie?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1