Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Just now, filmlover said:

Is it me or has Sundance been quieter than usual this year? 

It doesn't feel that quiet to me. But I am spending to much time typing "Sundance Film Festival" into Google for news, so I might be an outlier.

Maybe it's because there's a cluster of big films amidst a largely subdued collection of films, while past years have had a hodgepodge of moderately buzz-worthy titles. Nevertheless, I'm sure many notable films of the year of 2019 are going to come out of this festival regardless, as that's what usually happens.

There are certain Sundance films that haven't been purchased yet or haven't premiered yet that I still think are going to leave an impact on the year: sci-fi thriller "I Am Mother", desert island horror "Sweetheart", Shia Labeouf's screenwriting debut "Honey Boy", Naomi Watts social thriller "The Wolf Hour" all seem interesting to me thus far.

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

there was a couple years ago where amazon bought literally every movie that didn't have distribution from SXSW. it was like 40 movies and you've never heard of any of them. they don't give a fuck.

IIRC, they were offering 2M or something for sight unseen buys for all movies at all festivals that year. Lots of movies took that offer, I think I Tonya was one movie which refused that offer and instead screened for all distributors. Ended up well for the movie.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Porthos said:

Even in times of sadness, Grant finds a way to put a smile on the face:

(two weeks later, Grant joins The Athletic anyway :ph34r:)

17 hours ago, Telemachos said:

The end of a legend.

(Seriously, I want him on The Athletic though.)

NOT EVEN 24 HOURS LATER!!!! :rofl:

(Half expected this to be honest given that Grant loves to joke that he IS a cliche - but I thought it would be longer than 24 hours :hahaha:)

@4815162342

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

9 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

I actually have to get an Athletic subscription now don't I.

I'm still trying to hold out, but I don't think I'll be able to now. 

(otherwise known as: The EXACT same thought went through my head)

3 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Wow how shocking, I could’ve never seen this coming

Yeah, I imagine the person at varierty let ask 2 person of the industry:

Does a giant director got is usual at leat 10% participation on this movie ?

- Suppose he did yes, if not 15%+

Calculate only what he will make from the theatrical rental bonus and not for the rest of this movie lifetime and write and article about it

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

I actually have to get an Athletic subscription now don't I.

39 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I'm still trying to hold out, but I don't think I'll be able to now. 

(otherwise known as: The EXACT same thought went through my head)

The Athletic is great. I held out for awhile and then realized it was very affordable. Bought a year-long subscription up front so I wouldn't have to think about it and I haven't regretted it at all. Lots of great content, updated daily -- it's like your own customized selection of beat reporters for some mythical local paper that happens to cover all your favorite teams.

8 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

The Athletic is great. I held out for awhile and then realized it was very affordable. Bought a year-long subscription up front so I wouldn't have to think about it and I haven't regretted it at all. Lots of great content, updated daily -- it's like your own customized selection of beat reporters for some mythical local paper that happens to cover all your favorite teams.

Grant right now after being assimilated by The Athletic:

KiaJOW0.jpg

(If I knew how to photoshop, I'd take a pic of Grant's mug and put it where Picard's face is :ph34r:)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Avatree said:

to all the haters:

he deserves every penny of it.

I gotta bite at this, bait or not. :lol: 

Putting aside all the accusations and scandal, why do you think this? He didn't write it. He was fired from it because he wasn't doing his job, and the remaining filmmakers and crew finished the rest of the shoot and took the film through post to completion. Someone can reasonably argue the movie's success is in spite of him, not because of him.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I gotta bite at this, bait or not. :lol: 

Putting aside all the accusations and scandal, why do you think this? He didn't write it. He was fired from it because he wasn't doing his job, and the remaining filmmakers and crew finished the rest of the shoot and took the film through post to completion. Someone can reasonably argue the movie's success is in spite of him, not because of him.

what? No, it's all Bryan's doing!

all those times he was late to set, frustrating the crew and no doubt the actors... that frustration is what RamiMalek was able to turn in such a magnificent star performance. 

Bryan Singer ran the production into the ground, and the result of that that we saw, was a rubbish film - and because it was a rubbish film, that is why global audiences ate it up.

He deserves all the credit for making such a profitable movie.

Edited by Avatree
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Avatree said:

what? No, it's all Bryan's doing!

all those times he was late to set, frustrating the crew and no doubt the actors... that frustration is what RamiMalek was able to turn in such a magnificent star performance. 

Bryan Singer ran the production into the ground, and the result of that that we saw, was a rubbish film - and because it was a rubbish film, that is why global audiences ate it up.

He deserves all the credit for making such a profitable movie.

:rofl: 

One credit card purchase later:

SVXZuC6.png

I showed them though.  Grabbed the 50% off discount for 1/year from the banner ads that got populated when visiting the website, instead of the 40% off one they were promoting right now.

If i'm gonna get dragged kicking and screaming into another subscription, I'm gonna be as miserly and as big of a tightwad as I can be about it. :ph34r:

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

A lot of people on Twitter have been going after Rami Malek and the rest of the Bohemian Rhapsody crew for barely addressing the Singer controversy (especially when multiple people involved with Green Book have had to make apologies in regards to the various controversies that film has endured) but if I had to guess it's because they are under legal obligation by Fox not to address it.