Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

57 minutes ago, Slave Animal Rights said:

in elementary schools after P.E., were you supposed to take showers together?

can members please share their stories on this?

when did the showers stop and how many decades was it normalized?

No, didn't have showers at school.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

me when i see Dance Yrself Clean is #54 of the 'best songs of the 2010s' list when it's clearly top 5

eTwBlyb.jpg

That site is like crack. Wouldn't have listened to The Smiths or R.E.M. as a 13 year old without it.

Edited by cannastop

for REM nightswimming should be their song in the 90s top 10 but i guess losing my religion was just more popular. not that i mind, but everybody hurts should be waaaay lower in favour of sidewinder, or electrolite or ebow the letter.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

for REM nightswimming should be their song in the 90s top 10 but i guess losing my religion was just more popular. not that i mind, but everybody hurts should be waaaay lower in favour of sidewinder, or electrolite or ebow the letter.

Their late 90s stuff is underrated. But their 80s stuff is still king. But 80s REM and 90s REM are like two different bands altogether.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Their late 90s stuff is underrated. But their 80s stuff is still king. But 80s REM and 90s REM are like two different bands altogether.

Up is a super underrated record even if they themselves say they were just trying to whittle down their fanbase with that one.

For me Document is their best album.

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

The site is based on music magazines, which favor singles over album cuts.

i figured, but all the songs i mentioned were singles! though nightswimming, ebow etc charted a lot better here in the UK than they did in the US. that's probably got something to do with them being lower.

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Up is a super underrated record even if they themselves say they were just trying to whittle down their fanbase with that one.

For me Document is their best album.

i figured, but all the songs i mentioned were singles! though nightswimming, ebow etc charted a lot better here in the UK than they did in the US. that's probably got something to do with them being lower.

They try to get sources from around the world. They even had a list that showed what US critics listed and what UK critics ranked. I dunno if it's still there.

REM's Murmur was quite popular with American critics rather than British ones.

It's bullshit they don't tour anymore. I want to go back to my college town of Athens GA and see them play.

Edited by cannastop

15 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Like Elton John or Alan Menken.

Fun Fact.  I have had Elton John and Alan Menken on continuously for about the past 4 days.

Another Fun Fact. Rejecting an offer 30K over the asking prices isn't "an interesting scenario".  It means you underpriced your house, you god damn stupid dumb idiot listing broker.

2 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Fun Fact.  I have had Elton John and Alan Menken on continuously for about the past 4 days.

Another Fun Fact. Rejecting an offer 30K over the asking prices isn't "an interesting scenario".  It means you underpriced your house, you god damn stupid dumb idiot listing broker.

Oh. Are those connected facts?

I mean preferably the average consumer wouldn't even own their own homes. Like in Germany, Japan, or the UK.

Wait wait, I just found out the US has a comparatively low rate of home ownership.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_home_ownership_rate

Why is Singapore so high and Hong Kong so low? They're both basically city-states.

Edited by cannastop

12 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I mean preferably the average consumer wouldn't even own their own homes. Like in Germany, Japan, or the UK.

Wait wait, I just found out the US has a comparatively low rate of home ownership.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_home_ownership_rate

Why is Singapore so high and Hong Kong so low? They're both basically city-states.

I think this might be due to the more nomadic culture of the USA, but it's offset by the federal government support of home ownership.

2 minutes ago, Slave Animal Rights said:

when you pay big $ to go to a 12-step drug rehab,

watch out for the tattlers.  i've been warned. 

like i've said before, expect nothing from the group classes.

Sounds like you need serious help.