Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Just now, Plain Old Tele said:

Taking the hypothetical situation that a billionaire will choose to keep putting money into a studio, why do we care how much money they spend?

I'm just worried they won't. Same thing happened to the Pacific Standard. One benefactor decided not to give anymore, now it's shutting down.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Adam McKay (director of Vice) made The Big Short at Paramount for less than half the cost with a cast just as starry a few years prior.

McKay and/or Annapurna might've spent wildly, but two productions aren't identical situations and it's hard to say anything without seeing some line items. As far as I can tell, VICE had something like triple the shooting days of BIG SHORT, for example.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

McKay and/or Annapurna might've spent wildly, but two productions aren't identical situations and it's hard to say anything without seeing some line items. As far as I can tell, VICE had something like triple the shooting days of BIG SHORT, for example.

There were also rumors during this past awards season that McKay's connections (he has no shortage of those just by looking at his filmography alone) are what got Vice as far as it did despite a reserved critical response and weak box office returns (things that would've traditionally killed most movies from receiving as much love as it did) more than anything Annapurna did for it (which might also explain the underperformance of If Beale Street Could Talk during the same season). Guessing his industry status is why the project ended up at Annapurna after Paramount passed on it since the former allowed him to do whatever he wanted.

Edited by filmlover

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

There were also rumors during this past awards season that McKay's connections (he has no shortage of those just by looking at his filmography alone) are what got Vice as far as it did despite a reserved critical response and weak box office returns (things that would've traditionally killed most movies from receiving as much love as it did) more than anything Annapurna did for it (which might also explain the underperformance of If Beale Street Could Talk during the same season). Guessing his industry status is why the project ended up at Annapurna after Paramount passed on it since the former allowed him to do whatever he wanted.

...maybe? But in terms of Annapurna, they took a chance and it didn't work out. I can't really get mad at them for that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Avatree said:

I personally don't see the point of the Ignore function, if I don't like someones posts i just will not reply to those people. 

Why should I have to scroll endlessly if not needed? This is the only forum I have more than one member on ignore (mostly its 0), in opposition to that its even a lot of ignored members here, in the sum its a way nicer read.

Funnily a lot of those end up banned within weeks or months anyway, or get found out as a double accounts of already banned former members.

3 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

I dont ignore as frankly the wacky posts is what makes a forum interesting or else it turns into a boring ...

to me posts with only numbers all over the forum, maybe with some casting news / new projects announcements sprinkled in between would not be boring.

Members who constantly got OT, especially if looking like stirring the pot could be a reason and similar ... not needed, I wont read that (too often BS) anyway, so its faster to scroll, much cleaner to read, and I can check up on more movies with the time saved 😉

11 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

...maybe? But in terms of Annapurna, they took a chance and it didn't work out. I can't really get mad at them for that.

Considering it got nominated for so many Oscars and even won one, I'd say it did work out? :lol: Does feel like that's gonna go down as one of the more classic examples of "fake it until you make it" Best Picture nominees though (and that's saying something considering most of this past ceremony's winners/nominees seem to destined to age...not well).

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Adam McKay (director of Vice) made The Big Short at Paramount for less than half the cost with a cast just as starry a few years prior.

Not really, both movie simply had very different reporting surrounding them.

Fastlane website from Louisiana now ask for an account with a password, so I cannot go check back, but The Big Short budget was 50M from memory.

Edited by Barnack

1 hour ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Taking the hypothetical situation that a billionaire will choose to keep putting money into a studio, why do we care how much money they spend?

In a limited resource and man hours worked world, it is normal to care with how the powerful entity that have the ability to influence how they are used (states, companies, rich individual), it is one thing to spend 200 M buying a painting (almost no work/resource was spent) than making movie, throwing cars in space or constructing and moving around giant yacht/private plane, this is because of the perceived opportunity cost of a different spending that would created more happiness in the world.

8 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Not really, both movie simply had very different reporting surrounding them.

Fastlane website from Louisiana now ask for an account with a password, so I cannot go check back, but The Big Short budget was 50M from memory.

wait they filmed in Louisiana? huh

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

wait they filmed in Louisiana? huh

A lot of it yes, with just some days in New York.

Filming

Principal photography on the film began on March 18, 2015 in New Orleans, Louisiana.[17][18] On March 25, filming was taking place on General De Gaulle Boulevard in the Algiers section of New Orleans.[19] On May 8, Gillan confirmed she was shooting her scenes.[16] On May 20, 2015, filming took place on a short stretch of Mercer Street, between Prince Street and Spring Street, in Manhattan, New York City.[20] On May 22, the production crew recreated the offices of failed investment firm Lehman Brothers in the lobby of the New York State Department of Financial Services in Manhattan.[21] An assistant counsel for the Department of Financial Services played one of the extras in the scene

25 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Based on how it was run it was not run as a business lol 

That is the issue with kinds of business they usually always fail as they run on a failed model of limitless money 

Edited by Lordmandeep