Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Considering the bidding war that a bid sad for the creator, reaction to the recent turmoil and the Blum movie release pushed/cancelled ? That would already be quite the precedent setted for that, a company like Apple (google/amazon) has a risk of becoming the worst about fearing controversy of any sort on their content.

Apple is just making some bad decisions man. I mean it's good for the working class of the film industry that they're spending so much on production though.

Just now, cannastop said:

Apple is just making some bad decisions man. I mean it's good for the working class of the film industry that they're spending so much on production though.

How so ? (Except if the article is lying about the project being a competitive bidding war, it would mean that a lot of buyer were making a bad decision ?). Sound true: 

Apple is in advanced talks to buy rights to a gritty Israeli TV show called “Nevelot” (English translation: “Bastards”) and adapt it for the U.S., beating out bids from competitors including Showtime, FX and Amazon, according to several people with knowledge of the deal

And in light of what happened since, not sure we can say it is a bad business decision to cancel the project either, that was a project that started first at a really good company HBO:

https://www.israel21c.org/hbo-picks-up-israels-nevelot-drama-series/

Or do you mean they are making a bad decision not going through with it ?

32 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Or do you mean they are making a bad decision not going through with it ?

I'm basing my judgement that they're making bad decisions because they even almost made a series about two old farts shooting people up.

Also they're spending way too much money on a certain comedy they want on their service.

Edited by cannastop

This is my favourite part of the article.

"Apple, which multiple sources note is looking for aspirational programming, wanted to ensure the series was focused on the heart and emotion of the central friendship."

Production notes from Apple:"More friendship.  Less millennial killing."

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I'm basing my judgement that they're making bad decisions because they even almost made a series about two old farts shooting people up.

Yes something all time great like FX, HBO also almost made it, so I am not sure how we can say without any details it would have been a bad show.

But reading reaction from 2018 when it was announced on macrumors message board they seem to give you reason that it is a bad idea for a brand so completely obsessed by it's image.

Anyway premise has some element of Battle Royal adults feeling youth lack respect and start killing them in a showing manner for a lessons with the Millennium education reform act.

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Yes something all time great like FX, HBO also almost made it, so I am not sure how we can say without any details it would have been a bad show.

But reading reaction from 2018 when it was announced on macrumors message board they seem to give you reason that it is a bad idea for a brand so completely obsessed by it's image.

Anyway premise has some element of Battle Royal adults feeling youth lack respect and start killing them in a showing manner for a lessons with the Millennium education reform act.

man sometimes you don't make any sense at all.

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I want to give the Apple streaming service the benefit of the doubt since they've got so many projects with talented people in the pipeline, but I dunno. The Morning Show's trailer was a bit...eh, which is a shame considering that cast.

yeah that's the one with the unnecessarily huge budget.

49 minutes ago, cannastop said:

man sometimes you don't make any sense at all.

Using who tried to acquire the project to judge it's quality do not make sense ?, not only they know more about the project than me but they know much more about TV than me, seem natural to use their judgement way before mine.

Using showrunner trackrecord I guess is the other way, they were very big name TV producer (homeland, 24, X-Files) as well.

Edited by Barnack

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

The Morning Show's trailer was a bit...eh, which is a shame considering that cast.

I feel something with news like that, that people are not fully aware on how much American tv shows tend to cost.

Veep spent 175m for 3 season in the state of California (about 30 episode), American Horror Story 245m for 4 seasons (about 48 episode ), 184 million for 2 season of Lucifer. I imagine being an unknown platform and possibly no residual/syndication meaning you need to overpay upfront, lot of buyers right now and the price tags sound about right.

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Veep spent 175m for 3 season in the state of California (about 30 episode), American Horror Story 245m for 4 seasons (about 48 episode ), 184 million for 2 season of Lucifer.

Jesus Christ, no wonder shows get cancelled so much.     

On the other hand this makes it even harder to understand how many stupid show concepts get greenlit.

Edited by Thanos Legion

@CJohn Dude, it seems TVI has finally woken up from their slumber.

Firstly, they're starting to actually promote their new soap, Na Corda Bamba. They released a bunch of new promos, which look cool, if a bit confusing for those unaware of the plot; they're constantly updating their social media on the soap; they've already put a countdown clock on the top corner of the screen despite the launch still being weeks away; and they announced that the premiere will be on the 15th, the same Sunday as the launch of Gente Que Não Sabe Estar season 2. Meaning TVI will have Somos Portugal + Jornal das 8 with Somos Portugal lead-in + RAP + new soap, a pretty strong line-up, all things considered.

And second, they also announced (or at least, it's being reported on magazines) that Fátima isn't going away from the noons, as she said, but Goucha IS moving to the noons nonetheless with his own show that may actually be an outdoors show and may preceed Fátima's show, which could also no longer be A Tarde é Sua. Meaning that it would likely be Goucha at 2PM, Fátima at 4PM and then Quem Diria, the Pedro Fernandes game show, at 7PM, with a chance of O Resto é Conversa (which did close to 11% share in its premiere, which is about the expected given the circunstances it launched on) staying somewhere in the noon as well. That is actually not half bad.

It is also being reported that Maria Cerqueira Gomes will be reduced to a reporter for the morning show which will be then hosted by Fernanda Serrano, though, so... not all is great news.

12 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

@CJohn Dude, it seems TVI has finally woken up from their slumber.

Firstly, they're starting to actually promote their new soap, Na Corda Bamba. They released a bunch of new promos, which look cool, if a bit confusing for those unaware of the plot; they're constantly updating their social media on the soap; they've already put a countdown clock on the top corner of the screen despite the launch still being weeks away; and they announced that the premiere will be on the 15th, the same Sunday as the launch of Gente Que Não Sabe Estar season 2. Meaning TVI will have Somos Portugal + Jornal das 8 with Somos Portugal lead-in + RAP + new soap, a pretty strong line-up, all things considered.

And second, they also announced (or at least, it's being reported on magazines) that Fátima isn't going away from the noons, as she said, but Goucha IS moving to the noons nonetheless with his own show that may actually be an outdoors show and may preceed Fátima's show, which could also no longer be A Tarde é Sua. Meaning that it would likely be Goucha at 2PM, Fátima at 4PM and then Quem Diria, the Pedro Fernandes game show, at 7PM, with a chance of O Resto é Conversa (which did close to 11% share in its premiere, which is about the expected given the circunstances it launched on) staying somewhere in the noon as well. That is actually not half bad.

It is also being reported that Maria Cerqueira Gomes will be reduced to a reporter for the morning show which will be then hosted by Fernanda Serrano, though, so... not all is great news.

That Sunday is gonna be easily won by TVI. They need to make the promos for the soap less confusing tho. Also, I thought RAP was gonna be a weekday show until the elections day? Guess not.

That lineup for the afternoon has very strong potential. The Resto é Conversa thing can become a thing during whatever A Tarde é Sua becomes in the reboot. 

Poor MCC. She doesn't deserve this. I also think Fernando Serrano is gonna tank in the mornings harder than Goucha is right now.

7 minutes ago, CJohn said:

That Sunday is gonna be easily won by TVI. They need to make the promos for the soap less confusing tho. Also, I thought RAP was gonna be a weekday show until the elections day? Guess not.

That lineup for the afternoon has very strong potential. The Resto é Conversa thing can become a thing during whatever A Tarde é Sua becomes in the reboot. 

Poor MCC. She doesn't deserve this. I also think Fernando Serrano is gonna tank in the mornings harder than Goucha is right now.

I dunno about easily, but I do believe that TVI will win that Sunday. That's a line-up that just cannot possibly hyper flop like MasterChef did. Especially now that the soap is getting real promotion. As for RAP, I thought that too... maybe it will launch on Sunday and continue as a daily show afterwards? We'll see.

Yeah, I believe that's what they're gonna do with the Resto é Conversa deal. Either that, or stick it at 9AM to fight SIC's Alô Portugal. Either way, I like the afternoon concept a lot. But I think swapping Fátima and Goucha to make her go 1st would be a better way to counter Júlia.

I agree. They've should have kept Maria in the mornings, either by herself or in a The View-style trio of people with other talented renegades like Leonor Poeiras and Isabel Silva. Shoving her to be a reporter in the Porto-area only is a total insult that she doesn't deserve. Not to mention that, even though she's a good host, there's no chance in Hell that Fernanda Serrano will do better than Você na TV.