Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

They make little sense for anyone with an high speed and unlimited data plan to start with (they never occured for PCs for example) the downside to download your game instead of going physical seem hard to grasp while the upside are so obvious (cannot loose them, easy to reinstall all of them on a new machine automatically and so on).

Only downside for downloads is that they take up a decent of storage, especially games like GTAV and Doom. The 1TB most PS4/Xbox Ones come with full up quick! 

32 minutes ago, Just Tele said:

With both books and movies, physical media is still better quality (admittedly the difference is less noticeable for movies). And physical books still provide a better mechanism for reading in almost every respect.

26 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, call me an old fart, but I still find a ton of value in physical media as well.

old farts

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, franfar said:

lol so many public figures were revealed to have bought twitter followers. It's dumb but doesn't really mean much in the grand scheme of things. They didn't need to suspend him

i hope my boss doesn't find out but i think like half of my twitter followers are bots. i might be fully unemployable.

36 minutes ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

Only downside for downloads is that they take up a decent of storage, especially games like GTAV and Doom. The 1TB most PS4/Xbox Ones come with full up quick! 

But hasn't the disc copied a lot on the machine for you to play or you have to deal with ridiculous slow loading ?

1TB non-solid state for a 2018 gaming machine is just ridiculous..... Bought a Switch the other day and I saw that it was 25 gig ! and terrible loading time...

Sometime it feel like gaming got stuck around 2010 ? (3 TB drive were already out back then but still expensive), because of those extremely low capacity console people use.

Having 2TB instead of one, would be what 20-25$ more ?

54 minutes ago, Barnack said:

but for movies it is 100% artificial...

Can you explain this a bit more?

I mean, at their core, movies are artificial regardless of whether it's physical frames being projected to simulate a "realistic" environment or pixels being displayed or projected. You're right that streaming compression is pretty decent most of the time, but it still doesn't compare to Bluray on a decent TV (banding and artifacting all over the place), and of course you can occasionally get image degradation when your streaming buffer is interrupted or your bandwidth hits a hiccup.

1 hour ago, Just Tele said:

With both books and movies, physical media is still better quality (admittedly the difference is less noticeable for movies). And physical books still provide a better mechanism for reading in almost every respect.

I actually prefer tablet reading with a fast paced schedule.  It’s convenient, less weighty for text books, easy to jump around and I can read on the go.

It also wastes less paper.

Movies, I don’t really notice much of a difference between an actual blu-Ray and good streaming

8 minutes ago, New Year New Panda said:

I actually prefer tablet reading with a fast paced schedule.  It’s convenient, less weighty for text books, easy to jump around and I can read on the go.

Movies, I don’t really notice much of a difference between an actual blu-Ray and good streaming

Well, textbooks..... :gold: 

And yes, there are advantages to e-books for sure. Less paper and less physical space taken up are big pluses. But in terms of the actual process of reading (and the apparatus of reading), it's really really hard to beat pages of paper bound together.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Just Tele said:

Can you explain this a bit more?

I mean, at their core, movies are artificial regardless of whether it's physical frames being projected to simulate a "realistic" environment or pixels being displayed or projected. You're right that streaming compression is pretty decent most of the time, but it still doesn't compare to Bluray on a decent TV (banding and artifacting all over the place), and of course you can occasionally get image degradation when your streaming buffer is interrupted or your bandwidth hits a hiccup.

A bluray movie is a digital files, having the digital file on that disk being a different one than the one you buy online is a bit "artificial" and possibly temporarily, the different between the 2 medium once you watch it on screen does not need to exist.

For a book chance are the difference in experience (at the consuming not just buying/collecting) will always be there, for digital movie not necessarily except if they do it because they decide to keep a difference between the 2 (in a world were 250 gig for your buffer is really cheap and if gigabit internet become common that is, otherwise larger BR could keep a difference)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Just Tele said:

Well, textbooks..... :gold: 

And yes, there are advantages to e-books for sure. Less paper and less physical space taken up are big pluses. But in terms of the actual process of reading (and the apparatus of reading), it's really really hard to beat pages of paper bound together.

I use digital for English and physical for Spanish. A matter of access, but also because English is mostly for genre stuff while Spanish tends to be way more literary.

2 hours ago, New Year New Panda said:

Relevant only if the tablet would have still been bought otherwise, because you would need a giant amount of book to cause the pollution of one tablet (and cutting tree tend to be carbon neutral)

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1