Alli

WEEKEND Thread | 'Jigsaw' -16.2M; TYFYS- 3.7M; Suburbicon- 2.8M

9 minutes ago, YourMother said:

It’s Disney 4th Best Animated opener there and 8th best for animation in Mexico.

Is it wrong to have expected better considering Mexico will most likely be the best OS market for it? Book of Life opened to 4M in Mexico I think.

Just now, grim22 said:

Is it wrong to have expected better considering Mexico will most likely be the best OS market for it? Book of Life opened to 4M in Mexico I think.

I don’t know. Seems good according to the Mexico Box office forum. May reach $500M Pesos.

9 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Well would it be harsh to say that I expected better considering the theme?

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

I also expected a bit more ($10M OW) but it’s a solid start.

BR2049 will end at around 92M domestic in the end. Still an underperformance, but considering the total WW will be about 210-215M in the end, it probably maximized how much ever it could domestic. There just was no nostalgia for the franchise anywhere.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

BR2049 will end at around 92M domestic in the end. Still an underperformance, but considering the total WW will be about 210-215M in the end, it probably maximized how much ever it could domestic. There just was no nostalgia for the franchise anywhere.

Probably will sell sell less tickets than the original doemstically. Performances in China and Sourh Korea were horrendous 

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

When does the Bad Moms embargo lift? WOM is already out from last Wednesday's screenings and seems average, so it's not like STX has much to lose by lifting it.

The first movie was embargoed to day of release, so probably the same embargo here again.

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It’s already at $223M WW. I’d say $250M+ which is still bad. 

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Its already at 224M WW. I think it can approach 240M which ofc still is an underperformance with the budget in mind.

5 minutes ago, Mr Impossible said:

It’s already at $223M WW. I’d say $250M+ which is still bad. 

4 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Its already at 224M WW. I think it can approach 240M which ofc still is an underperformance with the budget in mind.

It made 12M this weekend including 7.5M in China, I guess BOM had not updated when I looked at it previously. Maybe it gets close to 240M as every market is open now, a further 6-7M in China and 5-10M elsewhere I guess.

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

It made 12M this weekend including 7.5M in China, I guess BOM had not updated when I looked at it previously. Maybe it gets close to 240M as every market is open now, a further 6-7M in China and 5-10M elsewhere I guess.

It could make 10M-15M in Japan based on its opening admission this weekend. 

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Between this, Goodbye Christopher Robin, and Breathe all foundering in limited release (plus Stronger and Battle of the Sexes not gaining traction in wide release), it's becoming increasingly evident that if you aren't an immediate Oscar player, you are SOL. Movies like Three Billboards, Call Me by Your Name, The Shape of Water, etc. are all actual players in the awards race and their grosses will reflect that.

Breathe is decent but it was never going to be an award winner and beyond Garfield and Foy, there wasn't much to sell it to a non British audience. Goodbye Christopher Robin had the same issue, Victoria and Abdul overperformed in comparison but that had a much more appealing premise and Judi Dench is still a draw.

October was pretty weak. As per the usual, too many questionable adult-aimed films cannibalized each other, but the real gap came from Blade Runner 2049 not following in the footsteps of other big adult-driven blockbusters that stayed solid all month (namely: Gravity, Gone Girl, The Martian). With such a soft fall outside of It's massive overperformance and the general absence of big PG-13 fare, the market is wide open for Thor to dominate next weekend.

Back to this weekend, Jigsaw got off to an okay start. It was obviously never going to come anywhere near the level of popularity that the Saw sequels enjoyed a decade ago, but this franchise has had such little staying power since the alleged final chapter that it could just as easily have flopped a la Blair Witch. Even with weak legs from here on out, it should still ultimately turn a profit against its small budget.

Jigsaw's performance also puts the popularity of the Saw sequels into perspective. For four straight years, those sequels posted openings over $30 million - even when super-early Friday reports for the fourth and fifth installments suggested that they were finally starting to go soft - on marketing that basically amounted to "Hey everyone, we're back again!" (One of the taglines for the fourth film was even "If it's Halloween, it must be Saw.") Jigsaw's entire opening weekend moved fewer tickets than Saws II-V did in their individual opening days.

Weak hold for Boo! 2, especially given that the previous film held much better after a larger opening weekend. To be fair, though, Boo! didn't have any new real Halloween movies to contend with in its second weekend, whereas this one had to stand against Jigsaw. It should finish in the lower half of the Madea movies, but the fact that they still pump out totals over $50 million twelve years in speaks to their continued popularity with the target audience.

Geostorm could have fared worse, but it's still putting up an abysmal performance overall.

Happy Death Day leveled out a bit after last weekend's awful hold. I'm surprised that it hasn't been able to translate its PG-13 rating and nearness to Halloween to better holds.

Blade Runner 2049 recovered a little after two poor holds in a row, but it's too little too late with Thor on the horizon. We'll see whether it can scrape past $90 million.

Thank You for Your Service bombed. As we've seen with war films in the post-9/11 era, audiences aren't interested in dealing with films that center specifically on PTSD. Sure, PTSD was a major presence in American Sniper, but the combat and heroism of the title character (as depicted in the film) were the main points of focus in the marketing campaign. Without solid reviews, this one probably would have gone the way of Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk last year.

Only the Brave posted a mediocre hold. I was hoping that the strong reviews would carry it a little further, but with so much competition for adults, it's no wonder that it's being ignored or passed over.

The Foreigner should be on track for a total of about $35 million - not bad considering how long Jackie Chan has been away from English-language action films.

Suburbicon had a disastrous opening. As we've seen countless times before, weak reviews are deadly for modestly-budgeted films aimed at adults.

It appears to have gotten some boost with Halloween being right around the corner. There's no surer sign of the general weakness of this month's slate than the fact that It is still playing wider than five of the other films in the top ten.

Let There Be Light broke out a little bit, probably due entirely to Hannity pimping it on his show.

• Like 1