aabattery

Weekend Thread | Actuals (p.100) ~ Thor: Ragnarok - 122.744M, Bad Moms 2 16.759M, Jigsaw 6.558M, Boo 2 4.451M, Geostorm 3.194M | GOLD ACCOUNT SALE (1st post for details) | 91k PTA for Lady Bird

1 minute ago, eXtacy2 said:

You know what is really nuts. Its holding better than the original Thor despite now being the gazzilionth entry in the MCU. Word of mouth definitely confirmed super strong here.

I think we (understandably) take Marvel a bit for granted with their box office results. We only need to look at War for the Planet of the Apes as another critically acclaimed 3rd Installment yet it significantly decreases from its well received predecessor. Obviously there are different factors at play but the fact is what other studios and franchises envy is just the norm for Marvel. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Probably best to not go around sharing these numbers on other sites, in future. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

Probably best to not go around sharing these numbers on other sites, in future. 

Oh, okay. ._. 

I mean, our numbers get spread on SHH and other places all the time, so I didn't see the harm, but I will keep my mouth shut. If you guys want to, I'll edit my post there. :whosad:

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

JL is going to eat into Thor's legs though.

Hard to predict though how much it will effect it. But that is actually its only competition for the next 6 weeks. Maybe a little from Coco. So overall I think its still well positioned for decent enough legs.

Just now, Mojoguy said:

JL isn't in a better position. It opens just 2 weeks after a 300M well liked superhero movie.

I think Thor has the better date coming off an absolute dead September and October (IT excluded).

I will disagree with this. Justice League is in a better position than Captain America: Civil War was, in my opinion. If Justice League manages to get a 70-80% score on RT, it will manage to get the kind of buzz it needs to stay above an $150m ow domestically. If it doesn't, than all bets are off, basically. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, eXtacy2 said:

Hard to predict though how much it will effect it. But that is actually its only competition for the next 6 weeks. Maybe a little from Coco. So overall I think its still well positioned for decent enough legs.

If it had decent legs in spite of JL, I’ll be shocked 

I’ll just leave this here. 

On 30/10/2017 at 9:58 AM, DeeCee said:

This is a very good opening weekend.  The opening on a Wednesday does muddy the comparison slightly.  You also have to take into account the obvious Australian connections although I don't think they add a huge amount to it's box office in Australia.  Taika Waititi is also much better well known in Australia then Domestic.  Boy and Wilderpeople both did very well here.  I'm going to give these factors a 10% boost for Australia relative to Domestic.

As @aabatterypoints out Ragnarok beat SMH by $8,512.  However, when allowing for the Wednesday opening and the fact SMH had school holidays Ragnarok really did much better against SMH.

I'm going to create an adjusted weekend by moving half of Wednesday into the weekend to give an adjust 4 day of AUD10.537.  To allow for the Aussie/Taika factor let's take off 10% to give AUD9.5m. (Yes, this is partially arbitrary but this is all part math and part gut instinct.  It's the vibe)

At this point I'm going to use Doctor Strange as the main comparison as it opened the same time last year and had a comparable performance over the opening weekend.  The adjusted Ragnarok OW of AUD9.5m is 1.47 times DS in Australia.

USD85m x 1.47 gives a Domestic OW of USD125m.  I'll give a range of USD118-132m.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 2