DeeCee

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power | Amazon | September 2, 2022

Not that it would have mattered as I highly doubt they would have made it there in time, but...

Spoiler

This is why you always, ALWAYS, check the cargo to make sure it's the package you're after.

=====

The show is def hitting its stride, and as @Cap said, there were a ton of little character moments that made this episode sing.

In particular, the beginning with Adar and his three-dimensional portrayal throughout.

I do have two slight nitpicks, however.

One:

Spoiler

They should have shown Theo tailing Arondir or done a bit more to show that he knew where the Big Evil Not-A-Sword was being hidden.  

It's easy enough to guess that Theo tailed him, but making it a tiny bit more acknowledged would have worked better for me.

The second is....

Spoiler

Not bothering to check to see if Adar WAS carrying The Big Bad Evil Relic of DOOOOOOOOM was...

Well, the characters had plenty of time to check is all I iz sayin'. Mind, Adar sold it well, and this time we as an audience DID know (or at least was heavily foreshadowed) that this was a false victory. So it is to the episode's credit that we knew that this was a false victory.

I just would have preferred it if they checked just a bit sooner.  Makes the elves look really stupid, and I have to admit that irks me slightly.  

And the thing is, they could have discovered the trickery sooner, been thrown into a blind panic, and still not stop Errand Boy, as he had far too much of a head start.  I think that it not mattering to the plot kinda irks more than anything else, tbh.

That being said, good god was there a lot to love in this episode.  The parallels between Adar and Arondir.  The parallels between Adar and 

Spoiler

Galadriel

The actually semi-subtle

Spoiler

shots of Soon to be Mount Doom in the background.

In fact, where this episode surprised me IS that they pulled the Mount Doom card so early.  It was the proverbial ticking time bomb (and one, I might add that showed that this battle was going to be for naught), but I have to admit I didn't expect it to go off now

And so so much more.   The twists and turns of the battles, for instance, should be highlighted.  But this post has gone on long enough, so I'll let someone else go on about them.

All in all, a continued upswing in both quality and execution.  Can't gush as much as Cap (sorry, Cap :lol:), but I can give it a very high grade.  Again, if only because they are continuing to show it is possible to shoot battle scenes in the dark! 👍

I just wish this series wouldn't have quite as many shortcuts in their storytelling as they do.  Not sure if the story is being rushed (not enough episodes in a season???) or it's just a being a bit careless in execution (writer room not quite up to speed yet).

Either way, said shortcuts are lessening (sign of writers room hitting their stride and getting better?) and aren't impacting the plot as much as they did (said shortcuts aren't nearly as bad as the ones I harped about a couple of episodes ago), so if they keep the up, I'll just chalk to growing pains.

tl;dr:  The good far outshown the bad, with fantastic character moments, but the bad... irked me enough that I had to comment on it. 

• Like 6

Fantastic episode . Yeah some minor issues but overall really enjoyed this episode.

The battle scenes were pretty good. Used the helm's deep strategy of progression ,some may some it's derivative but the reason it works so much is that it's so effective at using rising and lowering tension in a battle.

Southlanders as characters were way  better this episode. 

Adar character is growing on me.

Galadriel scene with halbrand was fantastic and her arc and progression starting look more solid 

9/10

• Like 2

I unironically only watch Halbrand and Galadriel scenes which is quite enough cause all convesation anywhere is Is Halbrand Sauron? so I'm not missing anything. I think this is the best thing about the show, Galadriel and Sauron ship. I fear that Adar will out Halbrand as Sauron. He claimed he killed Sauron but then asked Halbrand who he was and we have way too many winks and nudges that he is Sauron. I just hope that his feelings for Galadriel are real even if he kinda used Sauron phrase "bind" to describe them lol how subtle. :lol:  I like Adar too so I watched his scenes retroactively. Have no interest in the rest. 

Edited by Valonqar

The best episode so far despite some huge logic errors, which i can overlook because the high points this week were damn high. But

Spoiler

thats a LOT of horses for 3 ships.

And the end scene:

Spoiler

epic, BUT: How are they supposed to survive the pyroclastic flow? Theyre all dead and knowing that pretty much all of them will live next episode already kind of bugs me.

• Like 2

Weekly Rings of Prime report:

-This was the best episode of the show so far, but thats only because it wasn't consistently boring as shit from start to end.  Six hours in and this is the first time something of significance actually happened.  The Arondir/Bronwyn stuff is particularly rough still, there is just nothing to those characters whatsoever.  Arondir is horny who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time early on.  Thats his character.

-As I said a few posts up, lul at anyone in the village surviving that pyroclastic flow, needless to say that would instantly kill anyone caught in its path.  And don't tell me its a fantasy show or I'll send you a pizza roll.

-So often through out this show the music is just blaring over scenes where its either unearned or forced.  Its like the showrunners were freaking out in post-production and told Bear McCreary to dial it up to 11.

-Magic evil sword actually being a key to something(good or bad, in this case Doomsday device bad that turns Mordor on) is vintage JJ Abrams/Bad Robot plot mcguffin. The showrunners and producer Lindsey Weber are former JJ Abrams disciples lol so go figure. 

-So Sauron's big secret plan B if Morgoth was defeated was to build a special secret dam that a magic key would break so water would flow down into a trench the orcs(or somebody) would have to dig so it would boot up Mount Doom and create Mordor?  But if they had to go through all the trouble of digging a big ass trench to Mount Doom, wouldn't the orcs just be more than capable of breaking the dam by themselves?  This is just dumb.

-They're really pushing the #Galabrand and #Saurondriel shipping this episode for the twitter/tumblr tweens and Amazon bots.  I thought they were gonna start making out but then the trope of being interrupted by no name extra happens.  I know this show doesn't even try to be accurate at its portrayal of many places, characterizations, or even thematically, but this is still pretty funny considering Galadriel was one of the very, very few elves in Middle Earth who could detect something was off about Sexy Annatar Sauron.  But who cares anymore?  Just fully embrace trashiness already.

-Its odd how Galadriel needs to stop Halbrand from killing Adar, but then the next time we see them all together Halbrand needs to stop Galadriel from killing Adar.  Maybe this was there to make them have something in common for the shipping scene.

-I did find it a bit weird Galadriel having such gleeful blood lust when talking about genociding every last orc.  Yes they're generally henchmen for evil when a Dark Lord is active, but it was still creepy.  Like damn girl, some of them just want to be left alone in their caves far from civilization like that troll you killed in episode 1.

-Sense of time and geography is really dodgey in this show.  For example, earlier in the show Elrond and Celegrandma just seemingly walk on foot from Eregion over to Khazad-dum without any horses or traveling equipment despite being very far apart.  In this episode, Galadriel and the Numenoreans sail hundreds of miles from Numenor to Middle Earth, up a river, disembark, and ride over a land and mountain deep into future Mordor in what, like a day and a half?

Only 2 more episodes and I never have to watch Rings of Prime again.  This show looks and feels exactly like an incompetent version of what you'd expect after a decade+ dominated by empty JJ Abrams style reboots and Marvel movies.  Its corporate content with no vision or voice in it whatsoever.

• Like 1

I lurk here every Friday for @Ozymandias most excellent crazy entertaining reviews. :bravo: I'm devastated that there will be no Season 2 reviews how can we change his mind? :thinking:

-They're really pushing the #Galabrand and #Saurondriel shipping this episode for the twitter/tumblr tweens and Amazon bots.  I thought they were gonna start making out but then the trope of being interrupted by no name extra happens.  I know this show doesn't even try to be accurate at its portrayal of many places, characterizations, or even thematically, but this is still pretty funny considering

Galadriel was one of the very, very few elves in Middle Earth who could detect something was off about Sexy Annatar Sauron.  But who cares anymore?  Just fully embrace trashiness already.

Well, he's sexy Halbrand Sauron, maybe her radar works only for fake Elves which Annatar was? Other than that, spot on about shipper baiting. :lol: 

-Its odd how Galadriel needs to stop Halbrand from killing Adar, but then the next time we see them all together Halbrand needs to stop Galadriel from killing Adar.  Maybe

this was there to make them have something in common for the shipping scene.

HopefulHighlevelCopepod-size_restricted.

• Thanks 1

Ozymandias´takes are funny if nothing else but here he got a point:

45 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

-So Sauron's big secret plan B if Morgoth was defeated was to build a special secret dam that a magic key would break so water would flow down into a trench the orcs(or somebody) would have to dig so it would boot up Mount Doom and create Mordor?  But if they had to go through all the trouble of digging a big ass trench to Mount Doom, wouldn't the orcs just be more than capable of breaking the dam by themselves?  This is just dumb.

It feels kinda convoluted and not believable.

And i liked how they filmed the battle, the flow of it, some cool action, too, but it all felt so small scale, like 100 people fighting over a couple shacks. I'm not expecting a battle of the last alliance in season 1 but for half a billion they could have done a little bit more.

Other than that, pretty great episode!

Forgot to mention that if Isildur's mother drowned, does that mean the sea is still always right? 

And I think this whole Mount Doom angle takes some of the magic out of Middle Earth.  Mount Doom was created by Melkor, the OG big bad.  Then Sauron comes along to use it's fires to create the rings, he crafted them in the Cracks of Doom, fissures within the mountain.  Does it get much more badass than forging your ultimate weapon inside a volcano?  If they REALLY wanted to have Mount Doom be an inactive volcano to be turned on via mcguffin, the eruption should have been the result of some dark sorcery by Sauron himself instead of coming from pouring water on lava and use mundane pressure cooker physics.

One of the most spectacular episodes of TV.

I've been pretty consistently enjoying this series from the start but this just took it to another level. We get these really beautiful, poetic conversations between characters as well as being incredibly cinematic. It fell in line with the things I love about the movies. 

The episode also felt earned.

Not to start diving into comparisons again but we had that Ep.3 of HOTD which gave us a big battle early on. While it was pretty to look at, I don't think I could have had less investment from a narrative/character perspective. And I understand in the grand scheme of HOTD it's just a stepping stone but I'm glad Rings of Power didn't blow it's load early to placate those looking for some zest and instead saved it for a moment where you're actually invested in everything that's happening. 

I'm willing to forgive some of the silly little plot contrivances that happened simply because it was so enjoyable to watch. 

• Like 2

This was easily the best episode yet. It has given me faith that this is a story and show that can find its stride. 

• The narrative this episode really worked - it was tight, while the larger picture is also coming into focus. (If this is the beginning of Mount Doom, we all know what happens here.)
  • The balance of action and character moments hit the sweet spot. Arondir was able to shine this episode - Bronwyn and Theo, too. All capable actors, now that they’ve been given that chance. Adar continues to prove to be a compelling character - and one that brings a compelling moral question to the show, re: orcs. Galadriel and Halbrand’s relationship continues to strengthen each character.
  • This episode let the elves be elves, and it was so satisfying.
  • Did anyone else think they were hearing the Ringwraith theme for a moment there? Nampat sounded eerily similar.
  • I’m curious who directed this episode, because the action and battle sequences were impressively done - and had good ebb and flow, tension and release of tension.

I have some quibbles, but I'll leave it at that for now because this was a strong episode.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Aight last post till next week, saw this in my twitter feed and lol'd.

You can call this show many things, but not boring. This is how Grace Randolph is saying she falls asleep watching the LOTR movies. Do you use that as an excuse for saying LOTR movies are terrible?

I am a huge Tolkien fan (still have a few HOME books to get through, but that’s about it), but this headstrong hate for anything that doesn’t respect Tolkien’s word to the letter is so absurd.

The only thing so far that felt contrived was the mithril thing only because it was useless. Otherwise this is a solid show. You can start nitpicking at it, but then again, if you really love Tolkien that much, you could tear apart the PJ movies (and no, I am not saying this show comes anywhere near those movies). Just goes to show how much unnecessary hate is out there.

• Like 3

I mean, lets all be honest here. This show - not matter how good or bad it actually is - was always going to receive some extreme hate by a big part of the Internet, simply because a ton of people decided they want to hate it no matter what beforehand. May it be because it isnt that accurate to the Tolkien lore, may it be because some actors are black, may it be because the dialogue, pacing or narrative doesnt come close to Peter Jacksons masterpieces - those people will always find something to criticize and hate because they just want to hate this show.

Now im not talking about people who gave it a fair chance and are disappointed; im only referring to those who werent and arent willing to give it an actual fair chance. Speaking just for myself, i think this show so far has been a 7/10 show. It has some logical and narrative issues and the dialogue seems off in a few places, but im still enjoying it. Its never boring to me. Of course it doesnt come close to the LOTR trilogy, but honestly, for me, nothing will ever come close to these Masterpieces. And guess what, even those 3 movies arent loved by everyone.

Im just glad we got a LOTR show, because ... well, id rather have this than nothing, especially because its a solid show so far.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I mean, lets all be honest here. This show - not matter how good or bad it actually is - was always going to receive some extreme hate by a big part of the Internet, simply because a ton of people decided they want to hate it no matter what beforehand. May it be because it isnt that accurate to the Tolkien lore, may it be because some actors are black, may it be because the dialogue, pacing or narrative doesnt come close to Peter Jacksons masterpieces - those people will always find something to criticize and hate because they just want to hate this show.

Now im not talking about people who gave it a fair chance and are disappointed; im only referring to those who werent and arent willing to give it an actual fair chance. Speaking just for myself, i think this show so far has been a 7/10 show. It has some logical and narrative issues and the dialogue seems off in a few places, but im still enjoying it. Its never boring to me. Of course it doesnt come close to the LOTR trilogy, but honestly, for me, nothing will ever come close to these Masterpieces. And guess what, even those 3 movies arent loved by everyone.

Im just glad we got a LOTR show, because ... well, id rather have this than nothing, especially because its a solid show so far.

I think in general this is how most people feel(myself included).

The biggest problem for this show is when it released. Not cause I think it should be compared to HOD, but unfortunately on top of the nitpicking it’s getting compared to that as well. 

• Like 1

I found a good explanation regarding this whole sword / key / dam business on reddit. Makes sense...

Here's one to add. The watchtower makes the sword make sense, and gives us some clues to elements of the Southlands far history that hasn't really been discussed.

I think a lot of people assumed that the Southlanders didn't always live in the Southlands, that this is just where they ended up after the War of Wrath, herded into it by Elves to make sure they were properly corralled and couldn't continue being evil all over the lands. The reveal of what the sword does undoes that idea.

Because the sword opens up a reservoir of water. The way it happened in this latest episode was very destructive, but it needn't be so. Imagine a kingdom ruled by a Godking who wishes to maintain a grip on the population through order, reward, and fear. A classic method of doing this is to control resources. We know that the sword is associated with human sacrifice because of the mural at the tower. We know that the sword's purpose doesn't require human sacrifice, because Waldreg just put it in there.

What does that imply? That the human sacrifice bit was for show. That whoever devised the system wanted the population of these lands to believe human sacrifice was necessary for rewards. Historically, sacrifice has been a way to appease the gods. One of the most frequent asks is to provide water in times of drought. Usually it's rain, but a dam works too (as in, in the real world we use dams for this even today). What we've likely just learned is that whatever evil (maybe Sauron, maybe something more in the direct spirit of one of his developmental precursors, like Tuvo) used to run these lands back when Morgoth was still in power manufactured a system where they could solve the agricultural problems of the population like an actual god.

Because there weren't any tunnels before Adar had them dug. The intended purpose of the sword-key wasn't to bring water to the mountain and cause it to erupt. That's Adar hacking the old infrastructure. The whole system was plainly designed to provide crop-saving support in trade with human sacrifice, and the sword is a ritual object that allows the evil god or a priest thereof to maintain power through this promise. Imagine the sword being only hilt and change, being plunged into a victim laying across the altar, and then growing out of sight in the key slot. Then water is released from the dam (either more measured, because the releaser twists back the lock, or less in total, because it was done in a more regular schedule), and to any gathered it would appear as if it were the ritual killing that was the catalyst.

Suddenly we see why the Southlanders were taken under the direction of evil oh so long ago.
Suddenly we see why the sword works like the opposite of a stage magician's trick dagger.
Suddenly we see why the 'tunnels' were completely underground nearer to human habitation, but open to air deeper into Mordor.
Suddenly we see why Adar was looking for the hilt, but not waiting on his plans to find it. The key is useful, but there are other ways to destroy the dam once he has his canals built.

• Like 2