DeeCee

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power | Amazon | September 2, 2022

28 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

The first season was utter garbage but credit where it’s due: that’s an ok trailer. If their strategy is “ok, we fucked up, let’s just copy the trilogy” then better late than never. 

Problem they have is the first season reallly mucked up the Numenoriean Story l ine if they intend to follow Tolkien on that.

Big mistake was not getting the rights to the Simarallion first, which is where TOlkine goes into the Second Age in much greater detail then in the Appencided to the Trilogy.

But there is a definent diviging line between the Tolkien fans and the LOTR Movie fans. Allways there, now has become a chasm.

• Like 1

The first half of the first season was terrible (I stopped watching around episode 5 I think). Flat characters, crappy acting and crap CGI. This teaser looks like more of the same. But, most shows improve after their first season, so I'm willing to give it a second chance.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2024 at 12:59 PM, Porthos said:

insert: you crazy son of a bitch meme... HERE

I admit this makes me curious.

I am one of those who thinks that the Bombadil chapters are the weakest part of LOTR and PJ was wise to omit them, but lets' see if they can pull off Tom without becoming ridiculous.

I am afriad they will feel compelled to go into the Origin of Tom Bombadil, which would be a big mistake because  he has no origin, Tolkien , left who he was and how he came to be a mystery, and did so very delibertely. He was meant by Tolkine to be an enigma.

On 5/15/2024 at 9:29 AM, Avatree said:

The first half of the first season was terrible (I stopped watching around episode 5 I think). Flat characters, crappy acting and crap CGI. This teaser looks like more of the same. But, most shows improve after their first season, so I'm willing to give it a second chance.

I will watch out of curiosity, but that they messed up Tolkien so bad, and oftern went contrary to what he wrote about the second age is an absolute deal breaker for me .

Gee, does not seem to have much in common with what Tolkien actually wrote about the Second Age.

And take on Gandalf is just wrong, wrong,wrong. And it is BOmbadil lecturing Gandalf it is even more wrong.Bits an pieces of it might be interesting but once again, that they could not use material from the Silmrallin, which is where Tolkine really goes into detail on the fate of Numenor and the Second Age, dooms the project overall.

And they are going to have to do something which the movies have not done so far: Deal with the religious backgroud of Tolkien's universe, and it most definently has onem and is central to what happens to Numenor.

Edited by dudalb

Trailer was quite good. Looks like season 2 will have a lot more action than the first season. 

Being a huge LoTR fan I was irked by the many many changes they did while I was watching season 1. Which diminished my enjoyment of it. But overtime I have come to accept that this show is like an alternate universe version of events. So while I did notice a lot of departures from canon in the trailer it did not bother me as much. 

• Like 1

This is like the only show that where i truly despised the first season. As a huge Tolkien nerd, it was just an insult on so many levels to me.

Still, i will give season 2 a shot. Maybe it will work much better for me, who knows? And of not, well, hate-watching is also entertaining.

• Sad 1

For me, unfortunately, the conclusion of the first season was a disappointment. The show had some lovely highs and a good deal that I appreciated about it (including the excellent score - that Númenor theme *chefs kiss*), but also some lows. It may have been easier if I hadn't liked it at all, but I saw the potential in it.

But viewing these trailers, I will inevitably continue watching. I'm hopeful maybe I can just enjoy the show for what it is now that this is the second go around.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 3

I'm one of the few people on earth that liked Season 1 but that trailer for Season 2 already looks much better than anything on Season 1. I really hope it delivers cause it looks fantastic. I don't know if many people will be back but I sure will. 

• Like 1

Ill give the trailer this: From a visual standpoint, Season 2 looks better than Season 1 which had disappointingly bland cinematography and looked just cheap. It seems like theyre making an effort to make Season 2 look more appealing visually.

Now, if they actually have good dialogue as well as semi-decent fight choreography ... ah well lets see

• Like 1

There are bits which are confusing me, though. The much talked about Sauron fooling them AGAIN by putting on a blond wig? Elves ain't the brightest fellows, it seems. Maybe i'm missing something here, have to rewatch the first season, how the forging of the rings played out, who exactly knows about Halbrand etc. Maybe Celebrimbor knowingly decided to colaborate with Sauron coz he has the hots for the rings, i dunno. Or maybe he got bewitched lol.

And then the whole angle of the rings being dangerous. As far as i remember, only after the master ring got forged Sauron started to exert his will over all the other rings.

I really hope there are some good explanations for this, preferably also for things that happend in Season 1 that i found quite... strange, to say the least, like the whole Mithril having healing properties business.

Edited by Elessar

This looks great to me. I think the elves getting fooled will be explained by smth like this: Sauron actually looks different to them and we will see that when he looks in a mirror or smth, but they are using the same actor for familiarity. A lot of shows used this over the years.