Impact

2012-Best Actress thread!

Jennifer Lawrence: The only lock we have of the field, her movie is very well received, and she got raves out of TIFF. Plus she is hot, fuckable, and she's had an extraordinary year with THG crossing $400 million, which is close to HP1 adjusted if I'm not wrong.

:rofl: Does "fuckable" count when it comes to Oscar votes?

Ugh... Hyde Park is out of any awards contention except for maybe actor. And Hunt has been moved supporting accord to Fox Searchlght so they can focus their efforts on a 9 year old girl. However with the weakness of Actress I can see her getting moved back to lead. As for Watts she could happen but personally I think that the role isn't meaty enough for her to pull it off.

My current guesses

Helen Hunt- The Sessions

Laura Linney- Hyde Park on Hudson

Marion Cotillard- Rust and Bone

Naomi Watts- The Impossible

Michelle Williams- Take This Waltz

No Lawrence? She`s getting the best reviews of the bunch, trully stunning response. Also, the kid from BoSW is going to be nominated. Those 2 are locked and loaded. 3 more spots are up for grabs. Could be anyone from your list plus KK, Smith, Riva, Winstead, Gerwig.

Ugh... Hyde Park is out of any awards contention except for maybe actor. And Hunt has been moved supporting accord to Fox Searchlght so they can focus their efforts on a 9 year old girl. However with the weakness of Actress I can see her getting moved back to lead. As for Watts she could happen but personally I think that the role isn't meaty enough for her to pull it off.

I think they might throw her back into Lead if they feel Wallis' film can't sustain the momentum.But right now I'm feeling:Cotillard- Rust and BoneLawrence- Silver Linings PlaybookWallis- Beasts of the Southern WildWatts- The ImpossibleRiva- Amour

I think they might throw her back into Lead if they feel Wallis' film can't sustain the momentum.But right now I'm feeling:Cotillard- Rust and BoneLawrence- Silver Linings PlaybookWallis- Beasts of the Southern WildWatts- The ImpossibleRiva- Amour

I cna see a scenario where Riva kicks Cotillard out like Oldman kicked Fassy. Not the same situation, I know, but sometimes AMPAS like to make room for an oldie over a you`ll-have-your-chance younger actor. Plus, Cotillard has already won. They won`t give her the second Oscar so soon.And PLEASE NO STREEP FOR THE NEXT 10 YEARS PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAESE!

Actresses like Winstead, Gerwig, etc will need to make an impression at the various critic awards in December before I see them as realistic threats.Since Streep just won I'm banking on her being passed over, especially since her performance wasn't that buzzy anyway.I think the biggest people who can supplant the five I listed are Hunt if she gets moved back to Lead and Knightley who seems to be getting praise for Anna Karenina even when the overall film review is mixed.

Hilary Swank and Sean Penn received their second Oscars five years after their first, for Cotillard to do the same wouldn't be unprecedented. (of course, there's Tom Hanks as well, but that was more of an anomaly, some incredibly perfect timing).

Penn and Swank were in BP nominees when they received their second Oscars. Rust&Bone isn`t getting rave save for Cotillard so if she gets in she`ll be the sole nominee. Penn is a legend and Swank went through physcial transformation that was a huge talk of the town. Cotillard is playing a paraplegic which is what John Hawkes does in The Sessions and he is shoo-in for nomination if not for a win (real life paraplegic wants to lose his viginity is more baity than paraplegic). They won`t award 2 people for the same type of role. Edited by fishnets