Impact

2012-Best Actress thread!

I think Quvenzhane's chances at this point is low although I hope she can still make it. People are forgetting Helen Mirren, she scored a Globe and most importantly a SAG nod despite the movie's, lukewarm reception. Here's my predictions:ChastainLawrenceWattsMirrenCotillard (or Riva)I still think Streep's Hope Springs performance is nomination worthy (I like it better than her performances in Iron Lady and Doubt) but well she seated this one out. If she didn't win last year or Sony at campaigned, she's an easy nod.

Edited by forg

Lawrence's performance, while great, didn't strike me as potentially unbeatable, or even an all-time kind of great. If Chastain's work is at least as good, I won't mind at all if she wins; especially considering that she definitely appears to be more of a lead in her movie than Lawrence does in hers. Honestly, she's practically supporting.

Lawrence's performance, while great, didn't strike me as potentially unbeatable, or even an all-time kind of great. If Chastain's work is at least as good, I won't mind at all if she wins; especially considering that she definitely appears to be more of a lead in her movie than Lawrence does in hers. Honestly, she's practically supporting.

And here we go yet again.

So? It's a legitimate reason to downgrade a performance nominated in Lead Actress if you feel that the role really isn't a leading one.

It is but it's tiring and annoying at this point. It happens every year, Lawrence this year, Davis last year, Streep in 09 and 06, Winslet in 08, & etc. it's something that while big gets blown completely out of proportion every year during, before, and after the awards race.

It is but it's tiring and annoying at this point. It happens every year, Lawrence this year, Davis last year, Streep in 09 and 06, Winslet in 08, & etc. it's something that while big gets blown completely out of proportion every year during, before, and after the awards race.

Most of the time it happens is because it's true. But truth pales to studio campaigning and money being thrown around.

Most of the time it happens is because it's true. But truth pales to studio campaigning and money being thrown around.

I find something like this actually a surprisingly gray area. Davis was debatable, Lawrence is debatable. I have both of them in lead personally. Most of the time it's debatable. Only blatant case of category fraud recently would be Steinfeld, IMO.

Davis- leadWinslet- supportingStreep (06)- Same gray netherworld as Day-Lewis in 2002 (though Day-Lewis was a shade more lead than Streep was)

Yeah, I agree with this. Winslet was definitely supporting in the reader and IMO won and was nommed for the wrong performance.

I seriously don't know a single person who would say Kate Winslet's performance in The Reader was better than her performance in Revolutionary Road. And pretty much every other group, even SAG and GGs knew The Reader was a supporting performance. That whole business was one of the weirder academy moments...

• Like 3

The problem with this whole lead supporting thing for females is that most often the LEAD role (as in the person with the most screentime) goes to a male. Very few movies don't have a male that is a true lead. So, if a female has the second most screentime, she is considered a lead as far as females are concerned. It's just the way things work. Society is sexist. Most movies revolve around a guy and not a woman. That's the problem.

• Like 1

The problem with this whole lead supporting thing for females is that most often the LEAD role (as in the person with the most screentime) goes to a male. Very few movies don't have a male that is a true lead. So, if a female has the second most screentime, she is considered a lead as far as females are concerned. It's just the way things work. Society is sexist. Most movies revolve around a guy and not a woman. That's the problem.

BINGO.

I seriously don't know a single person who would say Kate Winslet's performance in The Reader was better than her performance in Revolutionary Road. And pretty much every other group, even SAG and GGs knew The Reader was a supporting performance. That whole business was one of the weirder academy moments...

She should have won for RR. Leo should have been nominated and won for RR. That film was brilliant imo.