6. Captain Marvel - 375

7. Detective Pikachu - 340

8. Toy Story 4 - 320

9. Joker - 290

10. Secret Life of Pets 2 - 280

11. US - 265

12. Shazam - 250

13. IT 2 - 240

14. Jumanji 2 - 240 (if it even happens?)

15. Aladdin - 215

Very summer and spring heavy, especially considering that Jumanji 2 hasn't started production or even announced casting yet and I have doubts it drops by December. The one-two bunch of Bond and Wonder Woman leaving has hurt 2019 overall for sure, especially near the end. But it will still be a big year.

• Like 1

Haven’t done one of these in awhile.  There’s no fancy analysis either.  DOM only

1. Avengers: Endgame.  725

2.  Lion King. 715

3. Episode IX. 685

4.  Frozen 2.  420

5.  Detective Pikachu 365

6.  Spider-Man.   345

7. Toy Story 4. 320

8.  Captain Marvel 285

9.  It Chapter 2. 275

10.  Shazam. 250

Edited by DAR

1 hour ago, xxoo said:

A lot of people under-appreciating secret life of pets, glass , Godzilla but overestimating toystory and frozen

Toy Story has to be on the same level quality-wise as the previous 3 to make the numbers many of us are predicting. Not easy, but not impossible. Frozen I think people might still be underestimating. Sure, the internet loves to hate it. But that movie is still HUGE with kids. If it's great, I think it could become another Incredibles 2

Sticking with 450 for the time being however. 

Frozen 2 I can see taking the OW, November is weak, I doubt the family films from the time frame of September to November will be big (I still refuse to believe Spies In Disguise will be in theaters and will debut on Disney +, Abominable screams the $80M-$120M range, Addams Family will die after November and Sonic can make a little bit if good but not more than $200M and from the looks of it, O/U $100M seems right.), and I do think it’s loved amongst the GA but I expect some Frozen fatigue as well as loss of interest for younger boys than the first as it shifted to the female market. I think it’ll take the November OW and have Ralph 2’s 5 Day legs, that said it and Shrek 5 have the best chance to beat both Incredibles 2 records.

$165M/$425M

Toy Story 4 is somewhat overpredicted. This summer, for family films, it’s all about trailer views and TS4 hasn’t captured the same attention as Dory/I2 or even Cars 3 online, and it’s competition is tough, in the 6 weeks; Pikachu, Aladdin and Pets 2 all have strong chances of reaching $300M not to mention I suspect Lion King is a 4 quadrant murderer. However, TS4 has some nostalgia and no family competition until TLK. I can’t see higher than $350M, in fact I’d say sub $300M is more likely than over $400M.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

The only issue TS4 has in reaching $500 million plus is that there is competition, mainly from SLOP2. But that competition will only hinder massive numbers and yield great numbers instead. I had originally predicted TS4 to make around $375 million domestic because I, like many others, thought 'WTF are they making another one when TS3 finished it nicely?". But I realized when I went to Disney World in March how massively popular TS is. So I cannot see it making UNDER $400 million. Just not $500 million.

Wow predictions are all over the place! I guess that's good. Should make 2019 the most fun year to watch!

The fandango most anticipated 2019 poll is reassuring for TS4. Its hard for animated movies to crack top 5 on that list, I think it’s just been Dory and I2 in the past. So seems like demand might be there. I’m still very nervous about it after those random teasers and awful plot synopsis. 

26 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The fandango most anticipated 2019 poll is reassuring for TS4. Its hard for animated movies to crack top 5 on that list, I think it’s just been Dory and I2 in the past. So seems like demand might be there. I’m still very nervous about it after those random teasers and awful plot synopsis. 

Polls are irrelevant. People don't even know those even go on or exist. That's one of the worst ways to measure if there's interest or not.

3 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

Polls are irrelevant. People don't even know those even go on or exist. That's one of the worst ways to measure if there's interest or not.

Disagree. The Fandango yearly poll Is often overlooked for how accurate when it comes to gauging if a movie is going to be huge or not. If you go back and look at them through the years, whatever makes the top 5 has almost always opened big at least. The only movies to miss the top 5 anticipated on their respective year this decade and still gross over 400 are Frozen and Jumanji. It’s the 6-10 spots that tend to be a bit shakier. But it’s always a good sign for a movie being massive if it’s in the top 5 of that poll and a bad sign if it’s not.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

On 12/29/2018 at 1:14 PM, Brainbug said:

Yes.

maxresdefault-2_cvgr.jpgCaringIncompleteArchaeocete-size_restric

And somehow it still makes tons of money.

People here (i personally think) tend to underestimate how bulletproof the SW Franchise is in the US. If Episode IX is well received by audiences, it will explode.

The Last Jedi did immense damage, damage that no Jar-Jar or clunky one-liners could ever do. This was reflected in Solo's BO, and will be reflected again and more emphatically with Episode 9. 

You can quote me on this in a year's time. 

• Like 1

Just now, PPZVGOS said:

The Last Jedi did immense damage, damage that no Jar-Jar or clunky one-liners could ever do. This was reflected in Solo's BO, and will be reflected again and more emphatically with Episode 9. 

You can quote me on this in a year's time. 

And heres where we fundamentally disagree. After Attack of the Clones, the Star Wars franchise was officially declared dead and ruined by the "fans". Its a never-ending circle of a part of the SW fanbase which is incredibly hatefull to nearly everything related to new Star Wars films that come out.

And still, after Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith would go on to become the biggest hit of 2005. Because in my eyes, the vast majority of SW-moviegoers - the GA - doesnt care one bit about internet hatred for Star Wars. All the GA wants is an entertaining film that pleases them.

And as long as Episode IX delivers exactly that, it will be a giant hit. Domestically, i see no real danger for main episode SW films. Overseas on the other hand is a different question.

4 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

And heres where we fundamentally disagree. After Attack of the Clones, the Star Wars franchise was officially declared dead and ruined by the "fans". Its a never-ending circle of a part of the SW fanbase which is incredibly hatefull to nearly everything related to new Star Wars films that come out.

And still, after Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith would go on to become the biggest hit of 2005. Because in my eyes, the vast majority of SW-moviegoers - the GA - doesnt care one bit about internet hatred for Star Wars. All the GA wants is an entertaining film that pleases them.

And as long as Episode IX delivers exactly that, it will be a giant hit. Domestically, i see no real danger for main episode SW films. Overseas on the other hand is a different question.

Attack of the Clones was considered by critics and fans to be an improvement over Phantom Menace 

and Revenge of the Sith has a better hook and was seen as the last Star Wars movie at the time 

Just now, John Marston said:

Attack of the Clones was considered by critics and fans to be an improvement over Phantom Menace 

and Revenge of the Sith has a better hook and was seen as the last Star Wars movie at the time 

The history of the old star wars forums disagrees with you.

Mainly TPM, but AotC is also heavily highlighted.

Its goes to show that a part of the SW fan base will never be pleased, no matter what any filmmaker would try.

42 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

The history of the old star wars forums disagrees with you.

Mainly TPM, but AotC is also heavily highlighted.

Its goes to show that a part of the SW fan base will never be pleased, no matter what any filmmaker would try.

I think the problems the prequels and the new films have been quite different though.

The prequels strength was the story and the path of Anakin while the weakness was the acting and such.

The new films strength is the acting and that its very well shot but a lot of the backlash it seems to be is over the story so far and that lacks a clear focus.

Now episode 9 may fix that.