WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | Reviews are in. It's-a bad!

12 minutes ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

Wonder if finally drop a trailer for this during the next Nintendo Direct

Depends on when it is. I can see them having one in time for Lyle Lyle Crocodile, Strange World or even waiting until Avatar 2/Puss in Boots like they did with The Bad Guys.

Edited by YM!

2 hours ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

Wonder if finally drop a trailer for this during the next Nintendo Direct

Recent rumours point to the next Direct happening the week starting on the 12th. That being said, said rumours don't specify what kind of Direct it is, so it might just be a Mini for all we know. Personally I'm leaning towards that, especially after similar rumours in June led to nothing more than a crummy Partner Direct.

They'll most likely save the trailer until The Game Awards IMO. Nintendo's been close with Keighley and have had a presence there the last few years. 4 months of marketing is unusually small for an Illumination movie, but in my opinion it's more than enough. Paramount premiered the first Sonic 2 trailer there last year, and that worked out just fine. Waiting until then also helps them attach it to Puss in Boots which is being released just a couple of weeks after.

I don’t think they’ll tie in for a games awards or a direct, mainly because at the end of the day while it’s big IP, Mario is definitely skewing younger. I think we get a trailer in time for Thanksgiving.

I threw that web page into the Wayback Machine, and as recently as two days ago, the page still said "Holiday 2022". It's entirely possible someone just changed the 2022 to 2023 and accidentally forgot to change the portion before the year.

5 hours ago, cookie said:

Apparently been delayed to Holiday 2023 unless this is an error.

https://www.illuminationmacguff.com/portfolio/mario/

The Switch would be 6 years old by then.

I know there’s a curse on Video Games made to take advantage of the movie (Tomb Raider, Prince of Persia) but could this possibly tie in to a new console release?

4 hours ago, AJG said:

The Switch would be 6 years old by then.

I know there’s a curse on Video Games made to take advantage of the movie (Tomb Raider, Prince of Persia) but could this possibly tie in to a new console release?

I don’t see a Switch successor happening as long as there’s still a global chip shortage. They’re struggling to keep up with demand for the Switch as is.

Edited by cookie