WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | The most profitable movie of 2023

Holy shit. This looks fucking badass. Not quite sure how I feel about Pratt, but the final line before the title reveal does make me optimistic.

I was not expecting the fucking Minion factory to go this hard. I am overjoyed by Bowser's portrayal here. Jack Black's casting made me worried they'd make him a Marvel-style quip machine, but he looks incredibly menacing and badass. And Black absolutely nails it.

I also enjoyed what we heard of Keegan Michael Key as Toad. He sounds just right. He evokes the scrappy voice from the games without sounding annoying at all.

I don't give a shit if it's dub-only here in Turkey, I'm seeing this opening weekend. I just hope the reviews are good.

• Like 2

The animation is stunning which makes me wonder if Illumination is spending a bit more than usual. Even Chris Pratt's Mario is fine. 

Still wondering how Donkey Kong, Cranky Kong and Foreman Spike fit in? I'm guessing perhaps Mario is from the 'real' world and ends up in the Mushroom Kingdom.

I assume if Mario is successful, we'll get only sequels but also spin-offs, Donkey Kong Country as a film would probably make the most sense as well as Yoshi and possibly Wario who in particular would be quite funny having the total opposite of Mario.

• Astonished 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I assume if Mario is successful, we'll get only sequels but also spin-offs, Donkey Kong Country as a film would probably make the most sense as well as Yoshi and possibly Wario who in particular would be quite funny having the total opposite of Mario.

I think a DK spin-off was already announced. 

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I think a DK spin-off was already announced. 

DK would work as a spin-off because it's in own little world and has it own characters. It's interesting that both DK and Wario were antagonists that later became protagonists, that rarely happens in fiction.

The end of the trailer mentioned "see it in real 3d", has been a while since movies have done that isnt it?

the avatar 2 effect?

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

This is gonna be the highest grossing animated film next year.

admittedly I have no clue what other animation is coming out but this will win. Illumination/Universal marketing plus Nintendo marketing, with 40 years of cross generation appeal.

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

DK would work as a spin-off because it's in own little world and has it own characters. It's interesting that both DK and Wario were antagonists that later became protagonists, that rarely happens in fiction.

Does it? I feel like the "bad guy becomes good guy/anti-hero" trope is pretty well-trodden territory with long-running franchises.

Edited by cookie