WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | The most profitable movie of 2023

Just now, Eric Claus said:

Also surprised at seeing the Yoshis in here. I assumed that was going to be the Tails-style sequel bait trick. Guess now the job will be given to Wario?

Tbh it looks like they're packing everything mainstream mario into a single movie, with a runtime of only 85 minutes, that's a lot of content to cover. I have a worry it might end up being overwhelming.

Also, the voices concern me, Pratt just sounds like Emmet from Lego Movie, and Anya sounds like herself, which personally doesn't feel like it matches the character visually. Everyone else sounded great though

• Like 2

I’m expecting it to do its job as a 3/5 I forget about. I though Teen Titans Go movie was cute enough and I surprisingly enjoyed Gru. Seems like fun as the Teen Titans Go duo and the Dick Figures guy I enjoyed their work but the plot seems really busy, especially with the obvious Mario Kart race climax.

7 minutes ago, Stewart said:

Tbh it looks like they're packing everything mainstream mario into a single movie, with a runtime of only 85 minutes, that's a lot of content to cover. I have a worry it might end up being overwhelming.

You explained it better than I could have. I really give the Sonic movies credit for taking their time introducing things, while the kart stuff and the DK/Yoshi stuff feel like things that would be cool to see in a sequel instead of having everything seem so busy. I'm sure I'll be proven wrong when it comes out of course.

And yes, I know that this is a vague 2 minute trailer and that I'm probably taking this Mario thing too seriously. Don't need to point that out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eric Claus said:

You explained it better than I could have. I really give the Sonic movies credit for taking their time introducing things, while the kart stuff and the DK/Yoshi stuff feel like things that would be cool to see in a sequel instead of having everything seem so busy. I'm sure I'll be proven wrong when it comes out of course.

And yes, I know that this is a vague 2 minute trailer and that I'm probably taking this Mario thing too seriously. Don't need to point that out.

I doubt the Yoshis play a big part, really. It seems like the DK stuff is more vital to the plot.

33 minutes ago, Stewart said:

Also, the voices concern me, Pratt just sounds like Emmet from Lego Movie, and Anya sounds like herself, which personally doesn't feel like it matches the character visually. Everyone else sounded great though

I'm not even a big Mario fan (outside of Kart, I don't care and know just enough of the lore to keep up) and even I was like "Ok, I know what all of these things are, but it's clearly 'give the people what they want' and not establish a universe, but I guess they don't really need to. Sonic had a lot to prove, not just from the awkward reaction to the first version, but as a franchise that has put out lackluster products for 8 years.

Mario is consistent enough that they can make this a celebration instead of trying to get people on board.

Edited by Morieris

It looks like the Mario movie I always dreamed of. I’m less bothered about them saving Yoshi etc for a sequel. Give it all to me in one movie, as long as it delivers. 

Besides, a sequel could spin off into Luigi’s Mansion. Or into DK’s jungle. There’s tons of stuff they could do.