WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | The most profitable movie of 2023

I think the characters who have their own franchises within the Mario series probably have the best chance of film adaptations. With Wario for example you could introduce him in a SMBM sequel and then have a spin off film two years later 

18 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I think the characters who have their own franchises within the Mario series probably have the best chance of film adaptations. With Wario for example you could introduce him in a SMBM sequel and then have a spin off film two years later 

Sure do a Wario as your villain who frees Bowser. 

I'm down for that. Heck if they go where he is literally made of the bad of Mario I'd be there.

41 minutes ago, RandomCat said:

Sure do a Wario as your villain who frees Bowser. 

I'm down for that. Heck if they go where he is literally made of the bad of Mario I'd be there.

Has the games ever explained where Wario comes from? I'd be curious to see how they would do that. Maybe have him come from some kind of bizarro universe or something.

I think Wario probably will end up being like Knuckles where he helps Bowser to escape for monetary gain only to be betrayed so teams up with the Mario Bros to get his money. 

Wario is more anti hero than villain and a lot of the fun of the Land series is that he ends up saving the day unintentionally. 

• Like 2

On 4/15/2023 at 8:13 AM, TwoMisfits said:

Yes, I expected a Mario universe (ala sequels and spin offs), not an overall Nintendo verse...

And Illumination would be perfect for that...heck, through in a Yoshi film, too...

I would be first in line with my kids for a Yoshi movie lol Yoshi has been my Mario Kart character ever since I was their age

This movie feels like the definition of knowing your target audience. Is it a great movie for all movie goers, absolutely not as shown by critic ratings. But the people going that go see the movie it just plays well too. 

• Like 2

On 4/17/2023 at 3:42 PM, poweranimals said:

Has the games ever explained where Wario comes from? I'd be curious to see how they would do that. Maybe have him come from some kind of bizarro universe or something.

Don't believe so. All I've ever seen from him is just a little chaos demon gremlin.

Waluigi has even less of a backstory. 

On 4/17/2023 at 10:12 PM, Jonwo said:

I think Wario probably will end up being like Knuckles where he helps Bowser to escape for monetary gain only to be betrayed so teams up with the Mario Bros to get his money. 

Wario is more anti hero than villain and a lot of the fun of the Land series is that he ends up saving the day unintentionally. 

See, I'd love to see the reverse, where bowser turns on Wario. Kind of like any Mario RPG where Bowser isn't the main baddy, he'll side with Mario to stop that baddy.

Edited by RandomCat

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I want it to stay rotten now just to have the title of highest grossing rotten movie of all time lol. I feel like that’s the ultimate karma for the critical reception being so far off from the audience. 

It’s at 59% now. Kind of funny how far we’ve come from the embargo getting lifted and everyone panicking.

8 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

241 reviews is really low for movie that will make a billion. I definitely can see Mario hitting 60% and ending up Fresh because negative reviews tend to come in first, and positive come in later.

Minions only had 226 reviews.

On the flip side, Toy Story 4 got 460 reviews.

It’s probably not going to get that many more reviews. But flipping to fresh is still in play.