WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | The most profitable movie of 2023

34 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I don't get why some fans of the film are upset over the critics;The film is going make a shitload of money and they are going to get their franchise; what have they got to complain about?

thats just the way videogamers have been trained to be

movies can survive and even thrive with a yellow mc, while for games that is a death sentence

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

6 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

movies can survive and even thrive with a yellow mc, while for games that is a death sentence

I also think gamers are still chasing that "First Good Video Game" movie thing.

8 hours ago, dudalb said:

I have not seen the film, but would more of a plot and chrecters with more then one dmension have hurt the film any?

It was a simple story told to engage 5 year olds and 45 year olds and 85 year olds...the more dimensions you add to movies, the longer they get and the more they disengage some of those age groups.

The movie is crisp, gives everything you want for the story it tells (villain motivation, hero backstory and relationship, zero plot holes but crisp and clean from a to be to c), etc...

• Like 2

The ones most attuned to getting good reviews are gonna be series adaptations, because stuff like Last of Us is so narrative heavy adapting it to a series isn't hard. The stuff being adapted to films, like Mario and Minecraft, might struggle more since those aren't really super heavy on plot.

Also, don't be surprised if we get news on some big deal with Illumination for other Nintendo stuff in the near future.

10 hours ago, dudalb said:

I don't get why some fans of the film are upset over the critics;The film is going make a shitload of money and they are going to get their franchise; what have they got to complain about?

Critics and audiences come from two different perspectives, and can articulate both fan and professional opinions --  but casual audiences don't get that. Even for critical reviews for this movie, I've seen "There's nothing to it, but I had a smile on my face the entire time."

But ordinary viewers just see a number on RT, don't understand how it's calculated, and draw the conclusion that "all critics are stupid because it made money and I like it.".

Edited by Morieris

13 hours ago, dudalb said:

• Fans can be tribal and want all the success/respect, not just in one area.
  • Movies based on video games don't have the best track record historically, so fans are defensive from the start.
  • Some film critics feel a certain type of way about video game movies/gamers and it shows in their reviews, so it's not surprising if gamers react badly to that. Different genre, but with Joker's bad reviews, some said, "Scorsese ripoff, very basic social commentary", while other critics were mad it was by The Hangover director and saying, "It's too dangerous to exist and will inspire incel sleeper cells nationwide!" Obviously not all negative Mario reviews are about the critics' personal baggage with video games, but some have been extremely weird.
Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, dudalb said:

I have not seen the film, but would more of a plot and chrecters with more then one dmension have hurt the film any?

Yeah, it would have elevated the movie to something truly special for sure. But plenty of room for improvement in the sequel/spin offs. 

And Luigi, bowser, and peach as characters are fantastic in this. I loved the fan idea I saw of the sequel being “Mario is missing!” and focusing on the 3 of them the whole time. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

On 4/10/2023 at 7:13 AM, interiorgatordecorator said:

Never thought about it but you might be right. Any big game has to be total trash and almost unplayable to get below 70 at metacritic.

I saw the movie on Sunday and it was fine. It barely has any story and the only ones that got an actual character are Bowser and maybe Luigi, but the "videogame" scenes with platforming or racing got me. And I'm not some big fan, haven't played a single mainline Mario game in more than 20 years, but everything and everyone is so inherently iconic the movie goes over very smooth despite all the things it lacks. I just hope they 'll have a real adventure with more characters being actual characters the next time around. Because "look the rainbow road is so pretty" ain't gonna work that well a second time.

• Like 1