WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | The most profitable movie of 2023

People expecting “character arcs” in a Mario movie 😂. As long as Miyamoto is alive and involved, there will be no such thing. Miyamoto has spoken out again and again against complex stories and as well as things that could change the perception of these iconic characters.

Spoiler

He’s out there saying no to stories even now. They were hesitant to even add a back story in the movie:

Edited by OceanBlvd
  • Like 1

I agree the Sonic films are better. I've seldom seen chemistry between a live action and animated character on the same level as Schwartz and Marsden. Mario Bros beats those two films on an aesthetic level, but Sonic is better in every other department. That's not to say I didn't enjoy the Mario Bros film. It's just the Sonic films are more well rounded.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Eric is Gay for Bowser said:

It's bizarre. I don't watch the show, but I assumed having them in it, they would think they would have added some cynicism or edge or a sardonic humor to it, but they made the blandest movie you could possibly make from this concept.

They aren't amazing, but the Sonic movies have actual character arcs and good voice acting. They have better-written heroes and way more personality than this, which is just a patronizing 90-minute commercial for Nintendo products. But I guess that makes me a stupid moron who has some ultra bias against this poor innocent corporate product designed to sell theme park tickets. Oh well 🙄

Way to turn my post into a personal attack when it literally had nothing to do with you, but alrighty then.

As a big fan of both game franchises since childhood, I can say I found the Mario movie FAR more fun and entertaining to sit through than both Sonics combined. Does Sonic have the better plots? Yeah. If you’re going to any of these movies for the plot though, to me you’re doing it way wrong.

Sonic’s plot is more developed but is still far from riveting or anything. So the fact that it’s not as entertaining as this movie drags it down in comparison. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

5 hours ago, OceanBlvd said:

People expecting “character arcs” in a Mario movie 😂. As long as Miyamoto is alive and involved, there will be no such thing. Miyamoto has spoken out again and again against complex stories and as well as things that could change the perception of these iconic characters.

Reveal hidden contents

"Nintendo won't let them so it's not ok to criticize it" is not as good of an argument as you think it is.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

"Nintendo won't let them so it's not ok to criticize it" is not as good of an argument as you think it is.

Or ya know, you could just accept that tons of others are finding the movie to be a blast and doing exactly what it needs to as a Mario movie as more than good enough for them to not care about a thin plot…

If I based Mario games on the plots vs how entertained I am by them, they would go form one of my favorite game series of all time to utter garbage in my book. 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Or ya know, you could just accept that tons of others are finding the movie to be a blast and doing exactly what it needs to as a Mario movie as more than good enough for them to not care about a thin plot…

If I based Mario games on the plots vs how entertained I am by them, they would go form one of my favorite game series of all time to utter garbage in my book. 

Dude, nobody has to like a movie because other people like it. That's absolutely ridiculous logic.

Just now, Mulder said:

Dude, nobody has to like a movie because other people like it. That's absolutely ridiculous logic.

Sadly, "How Dare Somebody Not Like Something I Like" or vice versa has become a standard attitude a lot  of fanboys have nowdays.

I am not going to see this movie simply because it does not Interess me.

Just now, Mulder said:

Who’s saying that? I believe the main argument here is that plenty of critics missed the point of what this movie is supposed to be. The true fans of the franchise are overwhelmingly backing that sentiment up. You’re entitled to your opinion of it, but anyone saying some critics missed the point of a Mario movie have a valid point. Has nothing to do with attacking how you liked the movie. 

And also, judging by the weekend thread you seem hellbent on arguing with anyone saying favorable things about the movie or the box office, so I doubt I will respond to it again after this if you continue to hold that chip on your shoulder. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Who’s saying that? I believe the main argument here is that plenty of critics missed the point of what this movie is supposed to be. The true fans of the franchise are overwhelmingly backing that sentiment up. You’re entitled to your opinion of it, but anyone saying some critics missed the point of a Mario movie have a valid point. Has nothing to do with attacking how you liked the movie. 

And also, judging by the weekend thread you seem hellbent on arguing with anyone saying favorable things about the movie or the box office, so I doubt I will respond to it again after this if you continue to hold that chip on your shoulder. 

ddc.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I think the Critics were smart enough to know what kind of movie the was trying to be; they just thought it failed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

I think the Critics were smart enough to know what kind of movie the was trying to be; they just thought it failed.

I strongly disagree that this movie fails if you understand what it’s going for, but that’s me. Now if they wanted a plot and character arcs vastly deeper and more complex than the source material, yeah I get it fails for them. 

I put my review in the weekend thread.

I liked it a lot.  Kids LOVED it.  Spouse HATED it.

Now that's he hated Detective Pikachu, Sonic, and Mario, I think I'll wait for him to want to go to a video game movie:)...one redeeming note is he did like it better than the other 2 with a D grade, vs an F one:)...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

is this what people mean when they talk about the great replacement?

• Knock It Off 1

8 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I strongly disagree that this movie fails if you understand what it’s going for, but that’s me. Now if they wanted a plot and character arcs vastly deeper and more complex than the source material, yeah I get it fails for them. 

I have not seen the film, but would more of a plot and chrecters with more then one dmension have hurt the film any?

• Like 1