WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | The most profitable movie of 2023

Are they still giving Mario a ridiculously early digital release? After just 5 weekends in theaters, with 5th weekend likely around $25m it hits digital already.

They still haven't announced the physical release date for Mario. But if we go by Minions 2 digital after 5th weekend, physical media release after 10th weekend.

Didn't Nintendo pay for half the budget? Should have just Tom Cruised it and demanded a 6 month theatrical window.

Edited by Mojoguy

Special Japanese language screenings on April 28th. Yeah, they are starting to milk this movie. 😆

Edited by Mojoguy

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

Special Japanese language screenings on April 28th. Yeah, they are starting to milk this movie. 😆

No subs either lmao

34 minutes ago, Lurrrrk said:

Apparently, the Japanese version is very different from the American version

I would guess they removed the pop songs and replaced it with actual Mario music, and probably some other changes.

If it's that different I hope they make a version on the home release that removes the pop songs

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lurrrrk said:

Apparently, the Japanese version is very different from the American version

I would guess they removed the pop songs and replaced it with actual Mario music, and probably some other changes.

I bet THEY get Drivin' Me Bananas in its original context!

On 4/25/2023 at 8:33 PM, Mojoguy said:

Nintendo personally oversaw the Japanese script, it's not a 1:1 translation. I haven't seen the movie yet and I'll go see this cut next week.

Edit: Nvm it's basically the same...no subtitles either.

Edited by TheDude391
  • ...wtf 1

On 4/25/2023 at 12:42 PM, Mojoguy said:

Are they still giving Mario a ridiculously early digital release? After just 5 weekends in theaters, with 5th weekend likely around $25m it hits digital already.

If you were on Twitter, it was already there:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Morieris said:

If you were on Twitter, it was already there:

Of course I was talking about an official digital release, not a illegal leak that was taken down after a few hours. At this point the movie can't be stopped by piracy, the rest of its run in May will be gravy.

On 4/27/2023 at 11:05 PM, TheDude391 said:

Nintendo personally oversaw the Japanese script, it's not a 1:1 translation. I haven't seen the movie yet and I'll go see this cut next week.

Edit: Nvm it's basically the same...no subtitles either.

It's the same?

6 minutes ago, DisposedData said:

It's the same?

It's Mario, BUT IN JAPANESE was its only gimmick.

Ridiculous it had no English subtitles. They could have ran it through Google translation and not had to pay anyone.

Happy 1 billion Mario.

I'll be honest, Illumination is not my favorite animation studio but they know what audiences/children like. The panic over the reviews was hilarious to go back and read. As if audiences have ever cared about critics feelings on Illumination movies. The Sonic movies aren't good either and Sonic hasn't been hugely popular since the 90's and his franchise is a hit. All the Mario movie needed to do was follow the games and not be like that 93 abomination that smugly hated the games and it would succeed. The lesson is, follow the darn source material. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, cannastop said:

LMAO

Lincoln Square IMAX STILL has MARIO

At one showing...

But still.

Hey, if it sells... why not?

TBH, Mario doesn't required PLF to be enjoyed. Mario losing all PLF screens to GOTG3 shouldn't hurt Mario too much. We could be getting another 33% drop this weekend for SMB.