WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | The most profitable movie of 2023

Not that I remotely care, but the air of cynicism in the air about them making a film for those that love the games is real. 

I mean, I’ve been playing Mario games for 35 plus years, so if it is full of references and lore that mean something to me and millions of others then I see that as the best possible scenario. I don’t want to watch Mario pining after Peach. I want him interacting with the worlds I’ve spent hundreds, probably thousands of hours delighting in navigating him around. 

I suspect there’s going to be a ton of critics completely alienated - and that fills me with joy tbh.  

33 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The actual critics seem to have hated the film, so I'm bracing myself for a 30% Rotten Tomatoes score tonight. Let's see how audiences respond.

how much longer?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

Not that I remotely care, but the air of cynicism in the air about them making a film for those that love the games is real. 

I mean, I’ve been playing Mario games for 35 plus years, so if it is full of references and lore that mean something to me and millions of others then I see that as the best possible scenario. I don’t want to watch Mario pining after Peach. I want him interacting with the worlds I’ve spent hundreds, probably thousands of hours delighting in navigating him around. 

I suspect there’s going to be a ton of critics completely alienated - and that fills me with joy tbh.  

I mean the game fan in me is happy but the movie fan in me wants a good film too. Not expecting Pixar or SpiderVerse but I want solid character work and development first and foremost even if it means deviation. I want a Puss in Boots: The Last Wish or The Lego Movie over a Minions for example.

Edited by YM!
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, YM! said:

I mean the game fan in me is happy but the movie fan in me wants a good film too. Not expecting Pixar or SpiderVerse but I want solid character work and development first and foremost even if it means deviation. I want a Puss in Boots: The Last Wish or The Lego Movie over a Minions for example.

If it doesnt have solid character work (it probably doesnt), then it better be as funny as minions 2 (it probably isn't)

55 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The actual critics seem to have hated the film, so I'm bracing myself for a 30% Rotten Tomatoes score tonight. Let's see how audiences respond.

Sonic movies getting fresh scores on RT, while Mario movies getting rotten would be wild. I would have imagined plumber traveling to another world to save it would have been easier to do than blue hedgehog doing the same thing. I guess the redesign scandal really saved the first Sonic.

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Anecdotal but a famous tiktoker I’m friends with just called this a “cinematic masterpiece” on his social media’s. Although that may have been ironic :lol: 

zoomers sure can be annoying 

6 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Why did they open this in the middle of the weak if they are expecting bad reviews?

B/c it's the start of Spring Break for almost all the Catholic K-12s schools in the US and it's in the midst of Spring Break for a ton of K-12 this week, which then continues with a different set next week.  The best 2 days of pre-Easter week are almost always Fri, then Thurs...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2