That One Girl

5-Day Weekend Thread | Saturday #s (Asgard p.109) - Coco 17.7, Justice League 15.7, Wonder 8.3, Thor: Ragnarok 6.4, Daddy's Home 2 5.3

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Yeah. I would have picked Jason Bateman in The Gift and Jason Segel in The End of the Tour for best actor before anyone else to start with. Liev Schreiber in Spotlight was my favorite supporting actor, it's a better less-is-more performance than even the one Rylance gave. 

Fucking littttt Bateman getting some notice. I also agree with Liev in spotlight,  just rewatched  and he's excellent. Would have gone Jordan/Hanks/Keaton  (he's the fucking lead in Spotlight guys)/Bateman/Jackson in Lead and Del Toro/Isaac/Mitchell/Dano/Liev in Supporting.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 1

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Fucking littttt Bateman getting some notice. I also agree with Liev in spotlight,  just reached and he's excellent. Would have gone Jordan/Hanks/Keaton  (he's the fucking lead in Spotlight guys)/Bateman/Jackson in Lead and Del Toro/Isaac/Mitchell/Dano/Liev in Supporting.

Am I dumb because I'm drawing a blank on what who and what were referring to when we say Jordan

Ranking the BP noms of the decade (only 20% of them aren't great).  The only year with a bad batch of nominees is 2011 imo, and that's because 2011 didn't have that many good movies.

1. Gravity
  2. Life of Pi
  3. Boyhood
  4. The Social Network
  5. Her
  6. La La Land
  7. Django Unchained
  8. Mad Max: Fury Road
  9. Whiplash
  10. Beasts of the Southern Wild
  11. True Grit
  12. Moonlight
  13. The Revenant
  14. The Big Short
  15. The Wolf of Wall Street
  16. Arrival
  17. The Grand Budapest Hotel
  18. Hell or High Water
  19. 12 Years a Slave
  20. Bridge of Spies
  21. Manchester by the Sea
  22. Silver Linings Playbook
  23. Spotlight
  24. Zero Dark Thirty
  25. Winter's Bone
  26. Lincoln
  27. Room
  28. Black Swan
  29. The Tree of Life
  30. Birdman
  31. Amour
  32. Toy Story 3
  33. Moneyball
  34. Nebraska
  35. Selma
  36. The Fighter
  37. Hacksaw Ridge
  38. Fences
  39. Captain Phillips
  40. Hidden Figures
  41. The Kids Are All Right
  42. Philomena
  43. The Help
  44. The Descendants
  45. 127 Hours
  46. Inception
  47. The Artist
  48. Argo
  49. Dallas Buyers Club
  50. The King's Speech
  51. The Theory of Everything
  52. The Imitation Game
  53. Midnight in Paris
  54. Brooklyn
  55. Lion
  56. Hugo
  57. War Horse
  58. The Martian
  59. Les Miserables
  60. American Hustle
  61. American Sniper
  62. Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

Bolding the great ones

Italics  for the very good ones

Nothing for the Decent to Eh ones

Strike for the bad ones

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JonathanLB said:

What happened between great movies being Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction, Gladiator, Braveheart, RotK, etc. and suddenly Boyhood, Danish Girl, Moonlight, Manchester and other things nobody watches or cares about? It’s like suddenly what everyone loves is shit all over and whatever the fewest number of people could even tolerate is put on a pedestal so those pretentious clowns can pretend to have some intellectual superiority over “the masses, who need their bang bang pew pew pew while we lucky few smarties can enjoy our movies about transsexuals, gay love, boredom, and other adult issues that only we understand.” Nah, everyone else gets it too...they just don’t care.

They cannot not watch it and gets it (or not get it, they have not watched it).

I think that is one element that changed, there is less and less connection between a movie quality and a movie being watched or not (see Suicide Squad vs Whiplash box office) the more the industry become frontloaded and 90% of the box office made in 3 weeks with the first wide weekend making or killing movies we cannot even see an correlation between opening weekend box office and Rotten tomatoes scores, sometime even a small negative one.

And if in a year there is 50 movie that are well watched vs 280 that are not well watched eligible for awards and the correlation between people caring about a movies and the movie being good or bad is really low, than mathematics say we will get much more from the group of 280 than from the smaller group of 50 nominated (not only because there is more of them, but it is not a perfectly random sample of the thousand of movie made in a year, they made that small list of movie getting a theatrical release because of their awards prospect quality/festival success and so on).

When people watch Manchester they love it (my audience in my theater did), it was a great movie, they just don't watch it.

Maybe individual member of the academy are pretentious but has a group it average out to an extremely unpretentious entity (that what happen when you have 7,000 voters of different age and background) any time a non sequel blockbuster is any good, chance are huge they will nominate it and they almost never nominate any foreign or art movies, they are far from pretentious.

Cannot name many blockbuster that missed nominations in the last 10 year's and if a Coppola would have made a Godfather movie that ended up being the biggest movie of the year at the box office like it did in the 70s, it would win again in 2018, it is a group that nominated Toy Story 3, actors from Rocky 7, gave an Oscar to Suicide Squad, nominated Blind Side, Hidden Figure, King Speech, Imitation Game, etc....

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2