That One Girl

5-Day Weekend Thread | Saturday #s (Asgard p.109) - Coco 17.7, Justice League 15.7, Wonder 8.3, Thor: Ragnarok 6.4, Daddy's Home 2 5.3

2 hours ago, The Panda said:

I think an Adapted Screenplay nod is its best shot at a nomination given how barren that field is.  Although, I personally think it's good enough to be a major player, being a funny book film will be its death sentence.

In an ideal world, Logan would be a best picture nominee, but this isn't an ideal world, so will just have to settle for some technical noms. 

• Like 1

Birdman is so wildly overrated. 

I loved basically every scene with Stone in it (especially the truth or dare scenes). It's got innovative camerawork but boy is it fucking pretentious sometimes and the story leaves a lot to be desired.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, DAR said:

It is except Jeff Bridges has basically been playing Rooster Cogburn the last seven years

Love Jeff but this is so true - Me & my husband laugh watching him because he talks like he has no teeth in his mouth yet has a full set - so weird.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Stallone is actually the only supporting actor nominee from 2015 I haven't seen lol 

Creed is a damn good film. I highly recommend it.

1 hour ago, Ethan Hunt said:

If we're being real Shia gave the best supporting performance in 2016. No question. Lane gave the best leading performance too

Don't entirely disagree about Lane. She was great in American Honey. That film also deserved more attention then it got. 

1 hour ago, Ethan Hunt said:

BTW what the hell is David O Russell doing these days?

Ditto for David Fincher

Was watching Mindhunter on Netflix last weekend & was pleasantly surprised that the director was David Fincher.  Didn't know he was involved with this series.

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

DOR probably not gonna make a real movie again or his abuse allegations will make another round, and this time ppl will pay attention

Definitely not right now... I wonder if this awards season, as Nolan makes the rounds, will anyone dare ask about DOR putting him in a headlock and threatening him so he'd drop Jude Law from The Prestige? Allegedly, but the story goes that it happened at a party with witnesses, and no less than the New York Times reported it so...

50 minutes ago, The Panda said:

True Grit is excellent, much better than the original.

Mattie is so annoying in the 1960s version, I couldn't get through the whole thing.

The Black Friday increases don't seem to be as high this year. Is everyone shopping online? The big chains are also having insane in-store only sales to get people to come back. 

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 3

A guy dyed his hair pink last year for a month or two at my school. I wore a pink wig as a part of my costume for school stereotype day for spirit week.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

Definitely not right now... I wonder if this awards season, as Nolan makes the rounds, will anyone dare ask about DOR putting him in a headlock and threatening him so he'd drop Jude Law from The Prestige? Allegedly, but the story goes that it happened at a party with witnesses, and no less than the New York Times reported it so...

Mattie is so annoying in the 1960s version, I couldn't get through the whole thing.

The Black Friday increases don't seem to be as high this year. Is everyone shopping online? The big chains are also having insane in-store only sales to get people to come back. 

This was before he bulked up. Now Nolan is jacked and no one would dare ask him about that incident.

giphy.gif 

• Like 4
  • Haha 7
  • Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

LOL it’s ok I have a good friend on FB (from real life, film school) whose movie tastes I don’t agree with ever basically and he thinks Boyhood is the greatest movie ever. Sorry but Waking Life is an amazing Linklater film, that’s a great movie! 

I don’t get offended by the explosion jokes by the way, it’s just not true. I ran a successful film review site for years and if you listed 500 movies from before 1995 let’s say that were classic films it’s good odds I liked or loved 400 of them. I am a philosophy major from the past after all, we love thoughtful movies. I just don’t see how most of this recent garbage is thoughtful. To me it wasn’t at all. A movie with explosions and action can still be one of the most horrible things ever. Look at the last xXx, what a goddamn piece of shit that was. 

I don’t “get” the modern sensibility for awards films at all. In the past I probably agreed with consensus opinions as high of a percent as would be normal, maybe 75-85% agreement with most classic films. Some, I don’t like still (Breakfast at Tiffany’s is a piece of shit about a truly horrible implied prostitute with overt racism to boot, it’s garbage and I think everyone who sees it today knows it they just like the one still image of Aubrey Hepburn - who is gorgeous to be fair). Most I do. Now, last 10 years, it’s 20%. The 10 years before that maybe 30-40%. 

What happened between great movies being Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction, Gladiator, Braveheart, RotK, etc. and suddenly Boyhood, Danish Girl, Moonlight, Manchester and other things nobody watches or cares about? It’s like suddenly what everyone loves is shit all over and whatever the fewest number of people could even tolerate is put on a pedestal so those pretentious clowns can pretend to have some intellectual superiority over “the masses, who need their bang bang pew pew pew while we lucky few smarties can enjoy our movies about transsexuals, gay love, boredom, and other adult issues that only we understand.” Nah, everyone else gets it too...they just don’t care.

Image result for i have a blog sir

Edited by MOVIEGUY
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

I don't know...WOM isn't that great in the family realm, especially when parents discuss their kid reactions...it's whether the movie can get a higher than normal share of teens and adults with no kids that will determine if it can go bigger...b/c those folks are the ones in love with it (although they are in hate with the Frozen short)...

Yeah there are some opposing forces here.  It'll be interesting to see how it goes.  They really should scrap that short - it is a clear fail.  At this point though people may already be planning to come 40min late so they have to make it clear...maybe they can at least remove it from the non-reserved seating shows