That One Girl

5-Day Weekend Thread | Saturday #s (Asgard p.109) - Coco 17.7, Justice League 15.7, Wonder 8.3, Thor: Ragnarok 6.4, Daddy's Home 2 5.3

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

2018 at least looks like it'll be a much more interesting year for animation. Coco was badly needed.

Agreed on that. I’m curious about Animated Spider-Man’s performance the most.

• Like 1

Just got back from Justice League. It was decent. A lot better than what I was expecting. The common complaints I hear are ones I have as well. The painfully weaksauce villain, the choppy editing, the hit-and-miss humor, the shitty VFX, Mustache-gate, etc. The thing that really helps is the interaction between the heroes which I feel is easily the strong point of the film. The Flash and Aquaman are great editions and I found myself warming up to Cyborg as the film went along.

Overall, it's a very mixed bag but it seems that the folks at Warner Bros. did listen to some of the criticisms of previous films. I just wished that for a film bringing all these great characters to the big screen for the first time could've been done so much better with less mixed results. 

• Like 8

Just now, La Binoche said:

A Wrinkle In Time looks heinously bad. Everything from the shoddy VFX, shitty wigs and costumes and how laughable Reese and Oprah look screams bomb. 

It's going to be Tomorrowland all over again. The most recent trailer only has 2.2M views on Disney's channel, which is pretty weak for an original AND Disney movie.

I have to admit I'm not particularly enthralled with the way WIT is looking. But I still really hope it's just being mismarketed and turns out great because it's really important that a movie with a cast and director like that finds an audience. Honestly it's kind of the same way I was feeling about the MLP Movie.

14 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

It's going to be Tomorrowland all over again. The most recent trailer only has 2.2M views on Disney's channel, which is pretty weak for an original AND Disney movie.

I will admit that a lot of people (guilty as charged myself) are really over-predicting this one. However, I don't think this will be anything like a Tomorrowland-sized flop. The budget is only a little over half of what Tomorrowland's was. Even if it underperforms (I honestly don't know what I'd compare it with to draw the lines of success and failure), it won't lose nearly as much money as Tomorrowland did.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

The combination of Annihilation, Ready Player One, Alita:Battle Angel , Mortal Engines and Wrinkle in Time make 2018 look good to me, I'm all for non-sequel Sci-Fi movies.

Box office aside this is a very interesting line up.

Minds will be blown in March 2018.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Original film based on a book, whatever. This isn't a franchise.

Fair enough, but how is trailers view low for an original, does original get more views than franchise movies I would have thought the other way around.

• Like 1

Anyways, to celebrate cultures different from the standard American white one. Coco is earning a BEAUTIFUL response from the GA, so I would also guide you to look toward the most TALENTED Western girl group who released a platinum edition of their recent record-breaking album, Glory Days.

Give these British LEGENDS a listen or be sexist and xenophobic, you choose!

Edited by Claire of Themyscira

13 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Fair enough, but how is trailers view low for an original, does original get more views than franchise movies I would have thought the other way around.

Of course not :lol: Normally original movies need to be around 3-4M to indicate a big breakout ( @The Panda can explain more)

• Like 2

2018 looks like it could be a solid year for non-comic book and Star Wars movies if some of these titles can deliver.

A Quiet Place, Annihilation, and Red Sparrow all look great

And things like Ready Player One, A Wrinkle in Time Mary Poppins Returns, The Grinch, Mortal Engines and First Man all could be big hits.

Then of course things like Jurassic World 2, The Incredibles 2, Solo, Deadpool 2, Black Panther, and Infinity War will be huge

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Of course not :lol: Normally original movies need to be around 3-4M to indicate a big breakout ( @The Panda can explain more)

3-4m could go either way.  You have to pay attention throughout the movie's run, some movies won't build up hype until a week or so before (like Get Out), some do so well in advance.

I do think trailer views are probably the most consistent metric for looking for a breakout.  Obviously not the only one you should use, but good trailer views (especially relative to similar films of that demo) are strong indications of a high opening.  For example, Incredibles 2 has more views than Dory right now, and so while I'm not sold it will open higher than Dory, I do think over 100m is happening for sure.  Probably in the 110-125m range.