That One Girl

5-Day Weekend Thread | Saturday #s (Asgard p.109) - Coco 17.7, Justice League 15.7, Wonder 8.3, Thor: Ragnarok 6.4, Daddy's Home 2 5.3

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

Most Cinephiles are , by nature, intolerant, obtuse and condescending creatures.

They are convinced they know "the truth", or at least an important & relevant version of it.

only read these two sentences so far. no way i'm reading the rest but i bet it's pretty ironic.

• Like 13
  • Haha 2

So @raegr did something that was extremely cringey and embarrassing today, surprise surprise.

So I went to the theater to see JL again and then saw Coco.

I went into the auditorium to see Coco, bought a poutine and brought my water from earlier. I sit down and I'm watching the shitty Olaf short before the film. After eating my poutine I start to feel thirsty so I went to go buy a medium sized soft drink, right then and there I needed to use the washroom but I rushed because I was afraid the actual movie was gonna start. I rushed to the bathroom and I saw a sign that said "men" so I enter in that washroom. I saw that there were no urinals and I thought to myself, "that's weird, oh well" so I go into the stall (it was empty so I didn't close the door) I unzipped my fly and was about to pee. I then look over the toilet and see a red tinge on the seat. I still feel completely lost and thought "maybe someone's drink dried on the seat". As I start to pee I hear the voice of an older lady...

it was at this point he knew he f***ed up.

I start to panic and close the stall door. The lady is talking with another lady and the voice gets nearer and nearer, it was then I realized I entered the woman's washroom. So I stayed in the stall for a little bit, waiting for them to leave so that they don't think I'm some kind of creep.

I run out of the washroom and look around, no one was in the lobby. As I walked out I fully read the sign that was obstructed that said "women", I only saw the "men" part. FML

I then returned to the auditorium watching the shitty frozen short feeling like embarrassed, me alone with my thoughts. My God. 

• Haha 11

2 minutes ago, raegr said:

So @raegr did something that was extremely cringey and embarrassing today, surprise surprise.

I went into the auditorium to see Coco, bought a poutine and brought my water from earlier. I sit down and I'm watching the shitty Olaf short before the film. After eating my poutine I start to feel thirsty so I went to go buy a medium sized soft drink, right then and there I needed to use the washroom but I rushed because I was afraid the actual movie was gonna start. I rushed to the bathroom and I saw a sign that said "men" so I enter in that washroom. I saw that there were no urinals and I thought to myself, "that's weird, oh well" so I go into the stall (it was empty so I didn't close the door) I unzipped my fly and was about to pee. I then look over the toilet and see a red tinge on the seat. I still feel completely lost and thought "maybe someone's drink dried on the seat". As I start to pee I hear the voice of an older lady...

I start to panic and close the stall door. The lady is talking with another lady and the voice gets nearer and nearer, it was then I realized I entered the woman's washroom. So I stayed in the stall for a little bit, waiting for them to leave so that they don't think I'm some kind of creep.

I run out of the washroom and look around, no one was in the lobby. As I walked out I fully read the sign that was obstructed that said "women", I only saw the "men" part. FML

I then returned to the auditorium watching the shitty frozen short feeling like embarrassed, me alone with my thoughts. My God. 

three threads? really? it's barely an anecdote. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Play this song as soon as you start reading this for added effect

19 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Most Cinephiles are , by nature, intolerant, obtuse and condescending creatures.

They are convinced they know "the truth", or at least an important & relevant version of it.

They all share about the same idea about what shoud be considered art and what shouldn't.

Like, the only blockbuster art movies this year were BR 2049 & Dunkirk, stupid !

Villeneuve is so in love with the idea he s making art that he thought doing a near 3h movie would give him his cinephile street cred he so clearly lusts.

He was like : "behold my BOLD artistic choices in BR 2049, not your average blockbuster, right ? My Movie is ART !"

Cinephiles have become (always have been ?) caricatures, just like the movies they jerk off to.

I mean, I can watch 15 trailers of the awards/adult/indies/whatever you wanna call them movies of this year and I cringe hard at most of them.

All these movies share the same aesthetics choices, cinematography, style of acting, score & music, tone etc,  the same boring, "important" and "relevant" subject matters, the same lack of ambition in scope, they are mostly undistinguishable from one and other.

I can smell an Oscar movie 25 seconds into the trailer, a Sundance one, probably 15. 

Indies, Blockbusters have become film genres unto themselves and that s a very sad state of affairs.

Eveything now is so compartmentalized it s almost scary.

We re basicaly in movie apartheid/segregation, it probably always has been like this, what I am talking about ain't nothing new, but we re currently living the ultimate version of it.

Jonathan BL is right and he s saying to you water is wet :

the trend is there, as time & decades go by, the average Joe & Jane movie goer is giving less & less a fuck about the awards/adult/indies/whatever you wanna call them movies.

Numbers don't lie, check them out, they are available, it s a box office forum after all.

Besides the coastal crowds in the big american megalopoles of the US of A, nobody gives a crap about the Moonlights and the Phantom Threads and the Manchester by the Seas of the world more than ever.

Movies are slowly but surely entering their painting & "modern art" phase : niches pieces of work proclaimed as real "true art" by a highly educated elite that love nothing more to know they don't share the same basic, vulgar taste of the working woman & man. 

No wonder the daughter of one of the most wealthiest man is the world is financing lots of them (hi Megan !)

Yup, class racism is a thing, even in the so called "progressist" circles,  I ve witnessed it more than I would have liked.

Discussing movie tastes with various types of people is always a fascinating anthropological experience.

A real, serious, educated cinephile cannot talk about Thor Ragnarok the same way  he talks about Lady Bird and to me, that is precisely what makes him so clueless about movies & art in general.

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

Just now, AJG said:

Play this song as soon as you start reading this for added effect

i think it was jack nevada who said every futurist post only makes sense in a tommy wiseau voice and that's basically the way i have to process everything he writes. otherwise NO CLUE

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, raegr said:

I was sure this will lead to something interesting in the story, but it didn't!

Just like in Suicide Squad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

only read these two sentences so far. no way i'm reading the rest but i bet it's pretty ironic.

19 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

zero people are ever gonna read that

i made it to line 6 where he goes on another BR2049/Denis rant :hahaha:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Besides the coastal crowds in the big american megalopoles of the US of A, nobody gives a crap about the Moonlights and the Phantom Threads and the Manchester by the Seas of the world more than ever.

Manchester by the sea made 46m at the domestic box office and was popular in rural area, like the Maine, New-Hampshire, Vermont, Nebraska, not really in the megalopoles:

manchester_sea_full.png

Moonlight was popular mostly in the south-east (black population of the US):

moonlight_full.png

Black population density:

USA_2000_black_density.png

Movies are slowly but surely entering their painting & "modern art" phase : niches pieces of work proclaimed as real "true art" by a highly educated elite that love nothing more to know they don't share the same basic, vulgar taste of the working woman & man. 

Interesting idea (but that you will just throw and never follow up with an explanation, number, trend, etc... ?) But books never did that, music never did that and they are century old by now. I doubt cinema is close to be niche it is still growing and a 80+b industry a year, go see star wars first weekend this December and look if movies have entered some niche reserved to an highly educated elite population. Cinema will be niche like theater is, when something similar to cinema but easier to consume/more fun will take is place.

You would also be surprised how executive level people taste are not necessarily those with the "true art" discourse, those who identify and build value into not sharing the basic vulgar taste than the working man I would imagine do not tend to be elite and rich, those build their value on achievement and would not need that.

"Hipstering" is often built on highly educated people, that always perceived themselves has superior without anything to show for it in career, families, etc... and will use subjective sphere like art to go seek that superiority (were they can use their skills) rather than more objective one, not on the successful elite with a long hours, highly paids jobs, those tend to go see only the big blockbuster spectacle affair and watch 2 and a half men on CBS.

All the bosses I had in my life didn't had high brown taste, much more the other way around.

They all share about the same idea about what shoud be considered art and what shouldn't.

But who does not, certainly not you writting a long message educating us on what is relevant and art just below, who does not think they know the truth ? Do people that say foreign language movie with subtitle are boring affair that no one really enjoy do not think they are saying the truth ? Are not condescending ? Not intolerant an obtuse ?

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 11

Just now, Barnack said:

Manchester by the sea made 46m at the domestic box office and was popular in rural area, like the Maine, New-Hampshire, Vermont, Nebraska, not really in the megalopoles:

manchester_sea_full.png

Moonlight was popular mostly in the south-east (black population of the US):

moonlight_full.png

Black population density:

USA_2000_black_density.png

Interesting idea (but that you will just throw and never follow up with an explanation, number, trend, etc... ?) But books never did that, music never did that and they are century old by now. I doubt cinema is close to be niche it is still growing and a 80+b industry a year, go see star wars first weekend this December and look if movies have entered some niche reserved to an highly educated elite population.

You would also be surprised how executive level people taste are not necessarily those with the "true art" discourse, those who identify and build value into not sharing the basic vulgar taste than the working man I would imagine do not tend to be elite and rich, those build their value on achievement and would not need that.

"Hipstering" is often built on highly educated people, always perceived themselves has superior without anything to show for it in career, families, etc... and will use subjective sphere like art to go seek that superiority (were they can use their skills) rather than more objective one, not on the successful elite with a long hours, highly paids jobs, those tend to go see only the big blockbuster spectacle affair and watch 2 and a half men on CBS.

But who does not, certainly not you writting a long message educating us on what is relevant and art just below, who does not think they know the truth ? Do people that say foreign language movie with subtitle are boring affair that no one really enjoy do not think they are saying the truth ? Are not condescending ? Not intolerant an obtuse ?

I applaud you for making it all the way through a Futurist post.  may God have mercy on your soul.

• Haha 1