That One Girl

5-Day Weekend Thread | Saturday #s (Asgard p.109) - Coco 17.7, Justice League 15.7, Wonder 8.3, Thor: Ragnarok 6.4, Daddy's Home 2 5.3

8 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i think it was jack nevada who said every futurist post only makes sense in a tommy wiseau voice and that's basically the way i have to process everything he writes. otherwise NO CLUE

I think I may take a cue from TOG's new avatar and just read the posts as being said in

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

I can smell an Oscar movie 25 seconds into the trailer, a Sundance one, probably 15. 

Indies, Blockbusters have become film genres unto themselves and that s a very sad state of affairs.

Eveything now is so compartmentalized it s almost scary.

We re basicaly in movie apartheid/segregation, it probably always has been like this, what I am talking about ain't nothing new, but we re currently living the ultimate version of it.

Do you really find it crazy, you are hard to follow, are you complaining about Villeneuve bringing art movie aesthetic in is big budget movie (or Nolan with Dunkirk, or in the last Apes movie) and complaining about not enough people doing so, with clearcut distinction between them ?

I really do not think we are in some ultimate version of it vs say the 1980s, independant movies and studio movie had a much clearer distinction back then, Hollywood vs rest of the world in the 50s/60s, now it is an unclear and muddier affair between those term.

How different part of Logan are for example or large portion of Guardian of the Galaxy 2 being a bit plotless than some smaller movies ?, Snowpiercer/The Host can play to an american audience without anything really much different than what they are used too. Comedy/Drama/Action/Romance and so on, most movie are multigenre, almost none are mono-genre.

The Revenant/La la land/Gravity all made over 400m, same theme really ? same aesthetic ? knew for all 3 they were Oscar movies 25s into the trailer ?, you make a mono-analysis of a subset of award/adult movies that do not include them, it does not sound serious.

You and Johnathan include Social Network, American Hustle, Wolf of Wall Street, Inception, Moneyball, KingSpeech, La la land, Fury, Foxcatcher, Hidden Figures, The Martian, etc... well all of them in the analysis.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm 17 years old and "thin" (I sure as hell don't feel like it). I'm nowhere on the level of Chalamet :hahaha: 

Wow, you're only 17? You have good taste in film for your age. You also have way better coming of age films than I did.

I don't remember being interested in that much indie stuff then? Or if there was even that big a market for it....I don't think there was.

I was in my later years of high school at the same time as Christine/Ladybird (speaking of your avatar). 

Damn, I feel old. It's like watching those react channel videos to teens reacting to movies/music/tv that doesn't feel like it was that long ago.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Manchester by the sea made 46m at the domestic box office and was popular in rural area, like the Maine, New-Hampshire, Vermont, Nebraska, not really in the megalopoles:

manchester_sea_full.png

Moonlight was popular mostly in the south-east (black population of the US):

moonlight_full.png

Black population density:

USA_2000_black_density.png

Interesting idea (but that you will just throw and never follow up with an explanation, number, trend, etc... ?) But books never did that, music never did that and they are century old by now. I doubt cinema is close to be niche it is still growing and a 80+b industry a year, go see star wars first weekend this December and look if movies have entered some niche reserved to an highly educated elite population.

You would also be surprised how executive level people taste are not necessarily those with the "true art" discourse, those who identify and build value into not sharing the basic vulgar taste than the working man I would imagine do not tend to be elite and rich, those build their value on achievement and would not need that.

"Hipstering" is often built on highly educated people, always perceived themselves has superior without anything to show for it in career, families, etc... and will use subjective sphere like art to go seek that superiority (were they can use their skills) rather than more objective one, not on the successful elite with a long hours, highly paids jobs, those tend to go see only the big blockbuster spectacle affair and watch 2 and a half men on CBS.

But who does not, certainly not you writting a long message educating us on what is relevant and art just below, who does not think they know the truth ? Do people that say foreign language movie with subtitle are boring affair that no one really enjoy do not think they are saying the truth ? Are not condescending ? Not intolerant an obtuse ?

Where did you get that blue map from? Do they have that for other movies too?

• Like 1