That One Girl

5-Day Weekend Thread | Saturday #s (Asgard p.109) - Coco 17.7, Justice League 15.7, Wonder 8.3, Thor: Ragnarok 6.4, Daddy's Home 2 5.3

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

One thing that worried me since I saw it is that I don't know if I think it's going to go over great with younger kids (9 and under). Not sure how much they will get out of it, I feel like the themes and overall ability to enjoy it are on a more mature level than your average animated film or even your average Pixar film. Then again, Ratatouille is one of Pixar's most mature and had a crazy multi. Also, the Mexican culture aspect just might not carry as much widespread appeal unfortunately. 

Inside Out was very mature, Zootopia was very mature.

There have been a lot of quite deep animated movies before that did big numbers.

Actually Rattatouille isn't Pixar's deepest at all.

• Like 1

Coco's drops continue above what I expected.  I would've been confident about the Saturday drop...but here we are.  I blame:

3) People waiting for discount Tuesday

2) Frozen short - literally had a friend say he read it was awful and he will wait til they pull it before he watches Coco.

1) Roman J. Israel

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Inside Out was very mature, Zootopia was very mature.

There have been a lot of quite deep animated movies before that did big numbers.

Actually Rattatouille isn't Pixar's deepest at all.

I didn't feel that Inside Out or Zootopia were mature at all..

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Anymore I'm starting to feel like IW is the most underpredicted movie on the whole forum. You'd think people would know better than to doubt MCU at this point, especially after this year.

People have inferiority issues when it comes to marvel movies.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

In the cinema, trailers are on before Murder on the Orient Express.

That trailer for The Greatest Showman gets big laughs from every audience I’ve seen it with. And there aren’t any jokes in the trailer. Woof! 

:hahaha:

My friend and I laughed at the trailer when it played in front of Wonder.  It's what they deserve for casting Zac Efron.  I feel bad for Michelle Williams, but it serves her right doing a movie with him. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

It's much too early to draw conclusions about why Coco's last couple holds weren't quite what you hoped for. Perhaps it really is just a course correction after it held better than Moana on Thursday.

The movie is not that good, A+ Cinemascore or not. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Saw Three Billboards.  Liked it but the questionable writing in the second half of it took down a few points for me.  It was pretty damn funny though.

• Like 2

That 57% drop for JL is just bad any way you look at it. 

BD1 - 69,8%

BD2 - 69,1%

CF - 53,1%

MJ1 - 53,3%

MJ2 - 49,3%

FB - 39,4%

The only pre-thanksgiving blockbusters that JL had a better drop against where the final twilights which were as frontloaded and fan-driven as big blockbusters get and also did 45m more than JL on OW. MJ2 was not exactly a movie with great WOM and still dropped way better while opening 8m higher. That's just bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Joel M said:

That 57% drop for JL is just bad any way you look at it. 

BD1 - 69,8%

BD2 - 69,1%

CF - 53,1%

MJ1 - 53,3%

MJ2 - 49,3%

FB - 39,4%

The only pre-thanksgiving blockbusters that JL had a better drop against where the final twilights which were as frontloaded and fan-driven as big blockbusters get and also did 45m more than JL on OW. MJ2 was not exactly a movie with great WOM and still dropped way better while opening 8m higher. That's just bad.

So wait, you're telling me it's a bad drop?  

The opening was bad.

The Saturday was bad

All is bad.

Been hearing this for ten days now.  

It's bad.

Bad.

So bad.

Not sure if you guys know, but his is bad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Anymore I'm starting to feel like IW is the most underpredicted movie on the whole forum. You'd think people would know better than to doubt MCU at this point, especially after this year.

I don't think it's underpredicted at all.  I'm seeing people give it crazy 500m+ prediction, which are not in line at all with movies like Civil War and AoU (Its two best comps).  As you see with JL, there's no reason a team up movie has to gangbuster numbers just because the solo movies did (WW).

There's room for movies like SM:H, GOTG2, Thor: Ragnarok, etc. to succeed and have decent legs because they don't have a high 'barrier of entry' in order to see the movies.  You saw it with both AoU and Civil War, even with really strong reception, there's just so many movies you have to keep up to date with in order to follow the 'climax' crossover movies that it really limits appeal of anybody outside of the fanbase (who are seeing these solo movies as well).  It's the reason Civil War had terrible legs, despite being a really well-received movie.  I think this effect can only get worse with Infinity War, because it requires even more movies for a GA to see in order to follow it and appreciate it.  

I'm not doubting Marvel, I'm still predicting a large 380m total (off of a large 180m OW), but I'm not sold that it can perform as well as Civil War.  Infinity War is a movie strictly for the fans, and that's fine, but it does mean it has a set ceiling.

• Like 5