That One Girl

5-Day Weekend Thread | Saturday #s (Asgard p.109) - Coco 17.7, Justice League 15.7, Wonder 8.3, Thor: Ragnarok 6.4, Daddy's Home 2 5.3

On another note, Lady Bird is following Wind River somewhat closely:

Aug 4–6 29 $161,558 - 4 - $40,390 $161,558 1
Aug 11–13 20 $622,567 +285% 45 +41 $13,835 $850,785 2
Aug 18–20 10 $2,975,732 +378% 694 +649 $4,288 $4,089,001 3

The current estimate has it doing a PTA just under $4,600 for the 3 day in about fifty more theaters. If A24's history was better with expanding, I'd say it'd go into 2k theaters next weekend.

Pretty sure everything is being lowballed here, as per usual with super early DHD estimates. It's unlikely for even JL to drop from Tuesday on a holiday Wednesday, and like it has mentioned, Coco could play out just like Moana and rise substantially through the night.

I really do hope that Thanksgiving is, well, giving.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Seriously lay off it.

There’s nothing so far to indicate that it’s following CF

all he did was compare it with another pre-Thanksgiving opener.  should I yell at someone else when they compare Just Getting Started to another film that opened on the same weekend a few years ago and this comp has it opening sub-5M?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

all he did was compare it with another pre-Thanksgiving opener.  should I yell at someone else when they compare Just Getting Started to another film that opened on the same weekend a few years ago and this comp has it opening sub-5M?

dhMeAzK.gif

Not to mention the actuals haven’t arrived yet. So Han is just making an early guess. I really don’t get the anger for the comparison.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

I mean i mocked JL in the weekend thread but at this point its not as funny to me as then. It really is a dead horse it doesnt even matter what it does the next few weeks, its a failure of epic proportions for all of eternity anyway, nothing could save it except Greek Wedding Legs and that doesnt seem likely to me, i wonder if we ever see a disaster of this scale ever agai....

Oh snap, im in my immature modus again :jeb!:

Go Coco. With every minute that goes by i want to see this movie. I really hope it can match Moanas numbers somehow :)

Edited by Brainbug

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

I wont tolerate any mocking of Dinosaur (2000). That fucking thing was a big part of my childhood along with The Land Before Time and Jurassic Park.

Dinosaur is probably one of my fondest theater experiences as a kid. Sure the film doesn't hold up that well, but as a child the animation and the dinosaurs kept me enthralled. I even had the video game for the PS1. It sucked ass though. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

^^ In terms of budget and eventual gross, JL isn’t even all that astonishing. Stuff like LONE RANGER is way worse. Still, considering expectations and how high-profile the property was.... yeah, it’s ugly. 

Yeah, stuff like Lone Ranger and John Carter are much worse financially.  However, those films were risky movies from the start.  Justice League should have been a safe bet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

^^ In terms of budget and eventual gross, JL isn’t even all that astonishing. Stuff like LONE RANGER is way worse. Still, considering expectations and how high-profile the property was.... yeah, it’s ugly. 

Ugly as your Avatar ? Did DammitGeorge hack your account agin ? :rofl:

• ...wtf 1

And the theaters themselves dont care that much i think. Seeing the raw numbers, a 94M OW and 210-260M final gross is very good for them and the overall box office. If that movie woudnt have been JL but something like Two Men and three Pandas it woundt be that different for them i think.

11 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Go Coco. With every minute that goes by i want to see this movie. I really hope it can match Moanas numbers somehow :)

Even if not the 5 day weekend, I hope eventually it would catch up. I have to wait til Friday to see it, but I'll be contributing for the 5 day for sure :)

11 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

The amount of money that LR made isn't antonishing. The amount of money they spent on it is.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

@The Panda hasn't this been in development for a while?  do you know when they're gonna move forward with it?

It has been, but they've renamed the both the film and the Pandas.  The Pandas are now porgs and the movie is called 'The Last Jedi'.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

On another note, Lady Bird is following Wind River somewhat closely:

Aug 4–6 29 $161,558 - 4 - $40,390 $161,558 1
Aug 11–13 20 $622,567 +285% 45 +41 $13,835 $850,785 2
Aug 18–20 10 $2,975,732 +378% 694 +649 $4,288 $4,089,001 3

The current estimate has it doing a PTA just under $4,600 for the 3 day in about fifty more theaters. If A24's history was better with expanding, I'd say it'd go into 2k theaters next weekend.

Historically there's never been any huge theater expansions on the post-Thanksgiving weekend (biggest I can recall recently was The Descendants going from 390 theaters to 574), presumably because the PTA on all movies drops like a rock anyway and with a big expansion it'd drop even harder. All studios prefer to wait it out. 

• Like 1