A Marvel Fanboy

Prometheus OS thread

The "tiny" budget of 120-130 million almost guarantees us the two sequels (yes, two, Ridley just said so a couple of days ago) that Ridley wants to make!

I'll believe it when i see it. Ridley is attached to so many other projects right now and he isn't getting younger. I hope he doesn't waste too much of his time with stuff other than sci-fi, just because i'm a fan of the genre.

Alien connection would have almost no affect at all, this looked completely different, the trailer hints very little at that connection, TV spots barely did at all. R rated 'horror' making 300m OS isn't a guarantee, 3D does help admittedly.

Alien connection will cause people who wouldn't be normally interested in this kind of film to go, check it out.

MIB 3 scored $78.6M this weekend internationally w/ $274M total--already surpassing the foreign total for MIB 2. Worldwide cume = $386.9M.

This basically supports my argument about OS markets being so good for 3D tentpole pics. If mediocre junk like MIB can hit 400M OS by the end of its run, this is definitely possible for Prometheus.

JC did not really have "pretty visuals". In fact it looked extremely bland from the marketing

You're showing your bias here. Prometheus is dominated by dark, cold colours, black and shades of grey. JC was more bright and colourful by comparison, JC looked more similar to Avatar.

You're showing your bias here. Prometheus is dominated by dark, cold colours, black and shades of grey. JC was more bright and colourful by comparison, JC looked more similar to Avatar.

:lol:

Show me yours and i´ll show you mine
  • Like 1

they did a smart think by NOT marketing it as an Alien film but as a spectacular looking Sci Fi movie kind of like Avatar.

Whatever you say. Pretty visuals will only get you so far. If people weren't aware of the Alien connection, the film would probably open to JC numbers.

They were smart to keep the Alien connection to a subtle level. This way they get the best of both strategies: Alien fandom would create expectation around the movie and casual viewers would feel it as something fresh and new.

They were smart to keep the Alien connection to a subtle level. This way they get the best of both strategies: Alien fandom would create expectation around the movie and casual viewers would feel it as something fresh and new.

It seems this strategy backfired somewhat, since hardcore Alien fans are voicing their disappointment now. It's a good film, but not an Alien film. I actually think the WOM among general audiences will be better than among fanboys.

It seems this strategy backfired somewhat, since hardcore Alien fans are voicing their disappointment now. It's a good film, but not an Alien film. I actually think the WOM among general audiences will be better than among fanboys.

The marketing has been very careful NOT to specifically mention the Alien universe or connection. (They've alluded to it, with the style of the title appearance).That being said, I think you're right that general audiences will be far more accepting of it than diehard Alienverse peeps.