A Marvel Fanboy

Prometheus OS thread

You're showing your bias here. Prometheus is dominated by dark, cold colours, black and shades of grey. JC was more bright and colourful by comparison, JC looked more similar to Avatar.

That's certainly true to some extent. Except of cause, Pandora in Avatar is 853463243 times more beautiful than Mars in JC. In fact Mars in JC looked too much like the earth, and I think thats one of the reasons why the film flopped. Edited by vc2002
  • Like 1

I disagree that planet Pandora in Avatar is beatiful, but one thing Cameron's film did prove is that children and audiences in general are suckers for bright, saturated colours.I this respect I can't think of anything less appealing to general audiences than the colour palette of Prometheus.

I disagree that planet Pandora in Avatar is beatiful, but one thing Cameron's film did prove is that children and audiences in general are suckers for bright, saturated colours.I this respect I can't think of anything less appealing to general audiences than the colour palette of Prometheus.

Keep in mind that what Cameron did on Avatar was basically magnifing the beauty of our own planet to 100 times bigger and more colorful. It's actually quite risky for a big budget film like that because audience these days are dominated by young males and they usually prefer something dark, gloomy, something so called "cool" like Tron Legacy and Prometheus, and Avatar didnt look "cool". To make the general audience fall in love with a bright and colorful world like Pandora means much more difficuties.
  • Like 2

Prometheus appears to be bombing in Hong Kong: OD presales below MIB in its 3rd week. :( Hong Kong is a place where "spectacular looking Sci Fi movies kind of like Avatar" do very well.This supports my thesis that Prometheus success in Europe is due to Alien connection, not its visuals.

Keep in mind that what Cameron did on Avatar was basically magnifing the beauty of our own planet to 100 times bigger and more colorful. It's actually quite risky for a big budget film like that because audience these days are dominated by young males and they usually prefer something dark, gloomy, something so called "cool" like Tron Legacy and Prometheus, and Avatar didnt look "cool". To make the general audience fall in love with a bright and colorful world like Pandora means much more difficuties.

1. young males by far prefer Transformers movies, which are both colorful and bright, and apparently this is where Cameron was taking his visual cues from. ;)

2. young males make up just one quadrant of the moviegoing public, but there are also women, children, adults with emotional maturity of children - these segments of the audience have differing notions of "cool", but they all adore bright colours.

To suggest Cameron was actually taking a risk by making Pandora look like a fairy-tale paradise is plainly absurd.

Cameron's color palette and visual scheme is completely different than Bay's. It's rooted in a very 80s mindset (which makes sense), and comes from a traditional color-timing perspective.Bay's is super-saturated with teal/orange complimentary colors pushed to the max by the colorist.

1. young males by far prefer Transformers movies, which are both colorful and bright, and apparently this is where Cameron was taking his visual cues from. ;)2. young males make up just one quadrant of the moviegoing public, but there are also women, children, adults with emotional maturity of children - these segments of the audience have differing notions of "cool", but they all adore bright colours.To suggest Cameron was actually taking a risk by making Pandora look like a fairy-tale paradise is plainly absurd.

TF is the worst case one could ever come up with to defend your theory. Big fighting robots are exactly the "COOL" things by today's definition.Women have Twilight. Children have Pixar. And IMO you simply just dont appreciate Avatar's appearing to four quadrants because you think it comes easy.Try to argue about "risk" against a Cameron film is plainly absurd. Cameron took risks at all levels on making Avatar. Edited by vc2002