Ezen Baklattan

2017 Critics/Alternate Awards Discussion

Full winners for the Spirit Awards:

Spoiler

BEST FEATURE

“Get Out”
Producers: Jason Blum, Edward H. Hamm Jr., Sean McKittrick, Jordan Peele

“Call Me by Your Name”
Producers: Peter Spears, Luca Guadagnino, Emilie Georges, Rodrigo Teixeira, Marco Morabito, James Ivory, Howard Rosenman

“The Florida Project”
Producers: Sean Baker, Chris Bergoch, Kevin Chinoy, Andrew Duncan, Alex Saks, Francesca Silvestri, Shih-Ching Tsou

“Lady Bird”
Producers: Eli Bush, Evelyn O’Neill, Scott Rudin

“The Rider”
Producers: Mollye Asher, Bert Hamelinck, Sacha Ben Harroche, Chloé Zhao

BEST FEMALE LEAD

Frances McDormand
“Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri”

Salma Hayek
“Beatriz at Dinner”

Margot Robbie
“I, Tonya”

Saoirse Ronan
“Lady Bird”

Shinobu Terajima
“Oh Lucy!”

Regina Williams
“Life and Nothing More”

BEST MALE LEAD

Timothée Chalamet
“Call Me by Your Name”

Harris Dickinson
“Beach Rats”

James Franco
“The Disaster Artist”

Daniel Kaluuya
“Get Out”

Robert Pattinson
“Good Time”

BEST DIRECTOR

Jordan Peele
“Get Out”

Sean Baker
“The Florida Project”

Jonas Carpignano
“A Ciambra”

Luca Guadagnino
“Call Me by Your Name”

Benny Safdie, Josh Safdie
“Good Time”

Chloé Zhao
“The Rider”

BEST DOCUMENTARY

“Faces Places”
Directors: Agnés Varda, JR
Producer: Rosalie Varda

“The Departure”
Director/Producer: Lana Wilson

“Last Men in Aleppo”
Director: Feras Fayyad
Producers: Kareem Abeed, Søeren Steen Jespersen, Stefan Kloos

“Motherland”
Director/Producer: Ramona S. Diaz
Producer: Rey Cuerdo

“Quest”
Director: Jonathan Olshefski
Producer: Sabrina Schmidt Gordon

PIAGET PRODUCERS AWARD – The 21st annual Producers Award, funded by Piaget, honors emerging producers who, despite highly limited resources, demonstrate the creativity, tenacity and vision required to produce quality, independent films.

Summer Shelton

Giulia Caruso & Ki Jin Kim
Ben LeClair

BEST SUPPORTING MALE

Sam Rockwell

Nnamdi Asomugha
“Crown Heights”

Armie Hammer
“Call Me by Your Name”

Barry Keoghan
“The Killing of a Sacred Deer”

Benny Safdie
“Good Time”

BEST SCREENPLAY

Greta Gerwig
“Lady Bird”

Azazel Jacobs
“The Lovers”

Martin McDonagh

Jordan Peele
“Get Out”

Mike White
“Beatriz at Dinner”

JEEP TRUER THAN FICTION AWARD –  presented to an emerging director of non-fiction features who has not yet received significant recognition.

Jonathan Olshefski
Director of “Quest”

Shevaun Mizrahi
Director of “Distant Constellation”

Jeff Unay
Director of “The Cage Fighter”

ROBERT ALTMAN AWARD – Given to one film’s director, casting director and ensemble cast

“Mudbound”
Director: Dee Rees
Casting Directors: Billy Hopkins, Ashley Ingram
Ensemble Cast: Jonathan Banks, Mary J. Blige, Jason Clarke, Garrett Hedlund, Jason Mitchell, Rob Morgan, Carey Mulligan

BEST FIRST SCREENPLAY

Emily V. Gordon, Kumail Nanjiani
“The Big Sick”

Kris Avedisian
Story By: Kyle Espeleta, Jesse Wakeman
“Donald Cried”

Ingrid Jungermann
“Women Who Kill”

Kogonada
“Columbus”

David Branson Smith, Matt Spicer
“Ingrid Goes West”

BEST EDITING

Tatiana S. Riegel
“I, Tonya”

Ronald Bronstein, Benny Safdie
“Good Time”

Walter Fasano
“Call Me by Your Name”

Alex O’Flinn
“The Rider”

Gregory Plotkin
“Get Out”

BONNIE AWARD – Recognizes a mid-career female director with a $50,000 unrestricted grant

Chloé Zhao

So Yong Kim

Lynn Shelton

BEST INTERNATIONAL FILM

“A Fantastic Woman”
Chile
Director: Sebastián Lelio

“BPM (Beats Per Minute)”
France
Director: Robin Campillo

“I Am Not a Witch”
Zambia
Director: Rungano Nyoni

“Lady Macbeth”
U.K.
Director: William Oldroyd

“Loveless”
Russia
Director: Andrey Zvyagintsev

JOHN CASSAVETES AWARD – Given to the best feature made for under $500,000.

“Life and Nothing More”
Writer/Director: Antonio Méndez Esparza
Producers: Amadeo Hernández Bueno, Alvaro Portanet Hernández, Pedro Hernández Santos

“Dayveon”
Writer/Director/Producer: Amman Abbasi
Writer: Steven Reneau
Producers: Lachion Buckingham, Alexander Uhlmann

“A Ghost Story”
Writer/Director: David Lowery
Producers: Adam Donaghey, Toby Halbrooks, James M. Johnston

“Most Beautiful Island”
Writer/Director/Producer: Ana Asensio
Producers: Larry Fessenden, Noah Greenberg, Chadd Harbold, Jenn Wexler

“The Transfiguration”
Writer/Director: Michael O’Shea
Producer: Susan Leber

KIEHL’S SOMEONE TO WATCH AWARD

Justin Chon
Director of “Gook”

Amman Abbasi
Director of “Dayveon”

Kevin Phillips
Director of “Super Dark Times”

BEST FIRST FEATURE

“Ingrid Goes West”
Director: Matt Spicer
Producers: Jared Ian Goldman, Adam Mirels, Robert Mirels, Aubrey Plaza, Tim White, Trevor White

“Columbus”
Director: Kogonada
Producers: Danielle Renfrew Behrens, Aaron Boyd, Giulia Caruso, Ki Jin Kim, Andrew Miano, Chris Weitz

“Menashe”
Director/Producer: Joshua Z. Weinstein
Producers: Yoni Brook, Traci Carlson, Daniel Finkelman, Alex Lipschultz

“Oh Lucy!”
Director/Producer: Atsuko Hirayanagi
Producers: Jessica Elbaum, Yukie Kito, Han West

“Patti Cake$”
Director: Geremy Jasper
Producers: Chris Columbus, Michael Gottwald, Dan Janvey, Daniela Taplin Lundberg, Noah Stahl, Rodrigo Teixeira

BEST SUPPORTING FEMALE

Allison Janney
“I, Tonya”

Holly Hunter
“The Big Sick”

Laurie Metcalf
“Lady Bird”

Lois Smith
“Marjorie Prime”

Taliah Lennice Webster
“Good Time”

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

Sayombhu Mukdeeprom
“Call Me by Your Name”

Thimios Bakatakis
“The Killing of a Sacred Deer”

Elisha Christian
“Columbus”

Hélène Louvart
“Beach Rats”

Joshua James Richards
“The Rider”

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

fun fact: the indie spirits used to be an interesting awards show. same with the baftas. the way that every major award has homogenized into becoming basically oscar predictions is sad.

At least Mulaney is fun!

With her back-to-back nominations for Hidden Figures and Shape of Water, I'm retroactively surprised that Octavia Spencer never gained any traction for her work in Fruitvale Station. She was great in that film and it was definitely a more emotionally-demanding role than the "sassy friend" type that has gotten her nominated thrice (granted, she does excel in that type).

Not gonna lie: I'm kinda hoping the Academy goes back to five nominees soon. I feel like tastes and demographics have shifted enough to prevent another fiasco on the level of "The Reader over The Dark Knight," and it always feels glaringly obvious that at least two or three of the films have big asterisks attached to their nominations. I mean, yeah, we would miss out on cool and unexpected off-kilter nominees like Phantom Thread, A Serious Man, or The Tree of Life (which was my favorite film of its year), but having so many films nominated just makes catching up on the nominees all the tougher for more casual viewers who don't make a point of rushing to the multiplex to catch a smaller nominee during the one week it runs there.

...of course, I say that rather hypocritically as someone who has nominated 8-10 films on their personal ballot for five of the last six years. ;)

6 hours ago, Webslinger said:

Not gonna lie: I'm kinda hoping the Academy goes back to five nominees soon. I feel like tastes and demographics have shifted enough to prevent another fiasco on the level of "The Reader over The Dark Knight," and it always feels glaringly obvious that at least two or three of the films have big asterisks attached to their nominations. I mean, yeah, we would miss out on cool and unexpected off-kilter nominees like Phantom Thread, A Serious Man, or The Tree of Life (which was my favorite film of its year), but having so many films nominated just makes catching up on the nominees all the tougher for more casual viewers who don't make a point of rushing to the multiplex to catch a smaller nominee during the one week it runs there.

On the contrary I wish they went back to the fixed 10-nominee system of 2009 and 2010. That was closest to ideal (I'll accept Best Picture nominee The Blind Side if it also means Best Picture nominee A Serious Man). And casual viewers having trouble catching up with the nominees is a problem for multiplexes and distributors to solve (provided the movie isn't already out on streaming), not for the Academy by not nominating stuff like the three movies you named which at least secure their place on the general cultural radar this way.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Webslinger said:

I came thisclose to jumping ship and going with Get Out as a trendy upset pick, but I can't think of a movie that won Best Picture after losing PGA, DGA, and SAG Ensemble. I'm still not ruling it out as a possible upset (seems crazy to do so with the level of uncertainty in this season), but I don't have the balls to call the win.

Moonlight did it just last year.

I generally agree that Get Out is pretty close to wishful thinking atm. It definately has more of a shot than Lady Bird though. But I'm seeing 3B taking this without breaking a sweat. 

16 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

I think the preferential ballot is going to go like this:

9. Darkest Hour: Really, who the fuck is going to place this at #1?

8. The Post: Same deal, but chances are the Darkest Hour people have this in the upper half

7. Dunkirk: There's a decent chance the only categories this wins are the Sounds, and it could go home emptyhanded. It won't have enough #1 votes or higher placements to survive.

6. Call Me by Your Name: Although this has a lot of passion, I don't see many that placed the last three at #1 giving this their #2 or #3 slot. They're somewhat different demos, unlike....

5. Phantom Thread: This one is much more likely to be the alternative to those votes. It has passion among all generations even if the numbers aren't there.

4. Get Out: Keep in mind that this underperformed at BAFTA and has no tech nominations, and there have been reports older members aren't giving it a chance. That alone is enough to cripple this IMO.

3. Lady Bird: Despite not winning any guilds, this is something that may benefit greatly from preferential voting even without #1 votes.

2. Three Billboards: This isn't a divisive in Hollywood as Film Twitter would suggest, but the snub in Director is still weird as fuck.

1. The Shape of Water: I feel comfortable predicting this to win. The only statistic going against it majorly is the lack of a SAG Ensemble nomination, but when Octavia Spencer still managed to get in here, I don't think that's much of an issue. It'll have enough passion and higher placements to win IMO.

Pretty much every leaked ballot from the olds, and every older critical year end list, had Darkest Hour ahead of Post. Every old person I know is gaga for that movie. In retrospect, kinda stunned the Post got nominated. 

Also, for whatever it's worth, and I don't think it's gonna win or anything, but Kris Tapley, Kyle Buchanan, and Clayton Davis all said that they've had a ton of people tell them that Dunkirk is high up on their ballot, and Warner Bros apparently flat out expects it to win or come close. I don't think it wins but when every credible Oscar insider is saying "I think Dunkirk is being seriously underestimated" then I certainly wouldn't put it number seven on my list frankly. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

It was an exaggeration but not as much as it should be. I found him very Mike Myers doing Fat Bastard in that. It's not like there is bad actor noms. Kayuula, DDL, and Denzel are as good a top three noms in that category as any in ages. 

To me, oldman's almost certain win is more like a career win, not a performance win.....since 2 of the nominees has won before, and another 2 has a lot of time to win ahead of them

8 hours ago, Joel M said:

Moonlight did it just last year.

Yeah, you're right. For some reason, I mis-remembered it winning SAG Ensemble. Whoops.

And upon looking back at that category, I must ask: Hidden Figures? Really? I mean, it's a solid, well-acted movie, but really?

Edited by Webslinger

1 hour ago, Webslinger said:

Yeah, you're right. For some reason, I mis-remembered it winning SAG Ensemble. Whoops.

And upon looking back at that category, I must ask: Hidden Figures? Really? I mean, it's a solid, well-acted movie, but really?

Crowd-pleaser + huge cast + diversity. I mean SAG is also an organisation that thought Stranger Things and Downton Abbey were the best-acted shows of the year (the latter three times), they're even less into any kind of challenging fare than the Academy is. 

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Also, for whatever it's worth, and I don't think it's gonna win or anything, but Kris Tapley, Kyle Buchanan, and Clayton Davis all said that they've had a ton of people tell them that Dunkirk is high up on their ballot, and Warner Bros apparently flat out expects it to win or come close. I don't think it wins but when every credible Oscar insider is saying "I think Dunkirk is being seriously underestimated" then I certainly wouldn't put it number seven on my list frankly. 

@MrPink

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgAjyo3VocMaJQOkJ2rim

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

19 hours ago, Webslinger said:

I came thisclose to jumping ship and going with Get Out as a trendy upset pick, but I can't think of a movie that won Best Picture after losing PGA, DGA, and SAG Ensemble. I'm still not ruling it out as a possible upset (seems crazy to do so with the level of uncertainty in this season), but I don't have the balls to call the win.

I can think of one!

Moonlight.

My predicts on Derby

Picture: Get Out

Director: Del Torro

Actor: Oldman

Actress: McDormand

S Actor: Rockwell

S Actress: Janney

AS: Call me By your name

Cinema: Blade Runner

Editing: Dunkirk

Costume: Phantom Thread

Production: Blade Runner

Makeup: Darkest Hour

Score: Shape of Water

Song: Remember Me

Animated: Coco

Sound E: Dunkirk

Sound M: Baby Driver

VFX: Blade Runner

Doc: Icarus

Foreign: A Fantastic Woman

36 minutes ago, The Mad Panda said:

I can think of one!

Moonlight.

Heh, yeah. Not gonna lie: when I made a post about Birdman's guild wins in another thread, I immediately went over to IMDB to ensure that my memory didn't fail me again. :lol:

Honestly, though, for a variety of personal reasons, I paid barely any attention to the awards circuit last season outside of knowing that La La Land was racking up wins left, right, and center, so I guess this is what I get for trying to speak about the 2016-2017 season with any authority. ;)