173 dom + 622 os = 795 ww

It' the 5th biggest OS so far ahead of all CBMs

Rank Title (click to view) Studio*
Worldwide Domestic / % Overseas / %
2 The Fate of the Furious Uni. $1,235.8 $225.8 18.3% $1,010.0 81.7%
5 Wolf Warrior 2 HC $870.3 $2.7 0.3% $867.6 99.7%
3 Despicable Me 3 Uni. $1,032.2 $264.4 25.6% $767.8 74.4%
1 Beauty and the Beast (2017) BV $1,263.5 $504.0 39.9% $759.5 60.1%
8 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales BV $794.8 $172.6 21.7% $622.2 78.3%
4 Spider-Man: Homecoming Sony $880.2 $334.2 38.0% $546.0 62.0%
9 Thor: Ragnarok BV $791.5 $277.7 35.1% $513.9 64.9%
12 Transformers: The Last Knight Par. $605.4 $130.2 21.5% $475.3 78.5%
6 Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 BV $863.6 $389.8 45.1% $473.8 54.9%
7 Wonder Woman WB $821.8 $412.6 50.2% $409.2 49.8%

That's kind of crazy. It's not a great movie or anything (enjoyed it a lot less on rewatch) but the franchise definitely still has potential to do well if it's making the top 10. I really wish they'd bring back Gore Verbinski and all of the original cast. Bring in a new villain and don't have Depp play a character that is past his prime. I dunno, Disney has so many other things going on that seem profitable...they might never need to bring it back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, somebody85 said:

That's kind of crazy. It's not a great movie or anything (enjoyed it a lot less on rewatch) but the franchise definitely still has potential to do well if it's making the top 10. I really wish they'd bring back Gore Verbinski and all of the original cast. Bring in a new villain and don't have Depp play a character that is past his prime. I dunno, Disney has so many other things going on that seem profitable...they might never need to bring it back.

I agree except that would love to see Davy Jones again on the big screen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

I agree except that would love to see Davy Jones again on the big screen.

It would be fun to bring him back because he's such a great character but I think his story was told through Dead Mens Chest and At Worlds End. It doesn't feel like there are that many more places for him to go and I would rather see the same creative teams that came up with him really come up with something that would rival him.

As far as Gore though: When I watched A Cure For Wellness...he really was the perfect call for POTC. Some of the darker scenes in that reminded me of the better scenes in the OT

I would love to see him return with a less convoluted script. I know a lot of people have given up on the series but I still think there are places for the franchise to explore that it hasn't with the right writers. I haven't seen any new information about Disney planning to continue it though.

Nothing special about JL number. Neither good or bad, right in line for what you would expect in past years. Anywhere from 75-78 would be an expected drop.

Animated drops farther on this Monday - anywhere from 82-85 - given how strong the hold was on Sunday i'd expect a slightly worse end drop for Coco today.

Just now, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Davy Jones might be the single best thing of the whole POTC trilogy.

I still think that would be Jack Sparrow from the original. But he would be in the top 3. I liked Elizabeth Swanns character a lot in the first. She was strong before it was more trendy to be that in films these days. Like she was never a damsel in distress outside of that one scene where it wasn't really her fault and it was only there to set the plot in motion. I think she was written really well which is why so many were excited to briefly see her again at the end of the last one.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Diana Prince said:

They don’t care about that. Maybe stop responding to them and let them have their echo chamber. I actually skip the posts of some of the usual suspects who add nothing new.

Anyway, what Tuesday number would you deem okay? Should it increase by at least 30%? At this point, I am hoping for 250. It will be extremely tough though. 250 gives it a shot at 700 worldwide which would be a small victory, as that seems to be a threshold. 

In don't see any echo chambers here. What I do see in this topic - having no big interest in Marvel or DC myself - is that you throw around wild accusations aimed at basically everybody, for no good reason whatsoever. People are free to give their thoughts on the box office of a movie, provided they follow the rules of the board. Justice League happens to have an unexpectedly bad run, and while some days see drops that are in line with other movies of a similar scale, that doesn't change the fact that this can be considered disappointing by some. Just like Wonder Woman exceeded expectations and got praise on a daily basis.

There is nothing wrong with considering certain numbers disappointing, just like there is nothing wrong with thinking they aren't that bad because they match up with certain other movies, not every number is always a clear cut good or bad one. But what I would definately consider to be wrong is accusing almost the entire board of acting like a mob towards a movie, or accusing the board of being an echo chamber, just because some people dared to have an opinion that differed from yours. Making sweeping accusations against a whole bunch of people doesn't exactly meet the standard of proper debating. If you disagree with someone's opinion, direct a post at that person and give reasons for why you think that person is wrong, don't make sweeping accusations for no reason.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I still think that would be Jack Sparrow from the original. But he would be in the top 3. I liked Elizabeth Swanns character a lot in the first. She was strong before it was more trendy to be that in films these days. Like she was never a damsel in distress outside of that one scene where it wasn't really her fault and it was only there to set the plot in motion. I think she was written really well which is why so many were excited to briefly see her again at the end of the last one.

Well, I'm not a huge POTC loonie so I may have a different perspective than most. Jack Sparrow's pretty one-note and I think both Will and Elizabeth are boring as all get-out: all the potentially interesting little ragged edges about their characters was carefully filed down by the Disney team.

7 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Well, I'm not a huge POTC loonie so I may have a different perspective than most. Jack Sparrow's pretty one-note and I think both Will and Elizabeth are boring as all get-out: all the potentially interesting little ragged edges about their characters was carefully filed down by the Disney team.

Oh I know, I remember you saying you weren't a big fan of the original. I agree that Will and Elizabeth are boring at times...but I didn't think that was necessarily a negative in the first movie (Elizabeth was still pretty interesting in COTBP - like her interactions with Barbosa). I also loved the opening scene and Wills first appearance as an adult is instantly relatable. Maybe they were just good for that time.

Edited by somebody85

14 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Yeah I agree the earlier Jack (even in DMC) was great. Him, Davy, Swann were all good. Kraken was a sight to behold. The franchise has great music too. The sweeping scale of Verbinski wasn't captured by other directors. May not be financially feasible to get all of them back but could give Jack a break and would love to see Davy and Swann back in the next one.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

People defending JL box-office performance sort of remind me of the Scene from the infamous German movie Downfall...

Person 1: It dropped the same as Fantastic Beasts, Sir!

Person 2: That is good, we shall recover and prove the DCU haters wrong! 

Person 3: Sir, the film is expected to drop 100 million domestic from Batman vs Superman.

(insert Hitler Meme rant) 

:kitschjob:

They remind me of the Black Knight in Monty Python and the Holy Grail;

"Tis but a scratch"

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

Those in the know know that DMC is the best POTC movie.

It did improve a lot on rewatch and has aged really well but the original will always be the best. DMC has a weak opening too. It doesn't really get interesting until they get off the island.

The original immediately puts you in that world and Sparrows introduction is one of the best in film. 

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

People defending JL box-office performance sort of remind me of the Scene from the infamous German movie Downfall...

Person 1: It dropped the same as Fantastic Beasts, Sir!

Person 2: That is good, we shall recover and prove the DCU haters wrong! 

Person 3: Sir, the film is expected to drop 100 million domestic from Batman vs Superman.

(insert Hitler Meme rant) 

:kitschjob:

Only a matter of time until someone actually makes that video if they haven't already.

41 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Im sure we'll get another one at some point. Thought the new one was fun if nothing spectacular. No way will Sparrow be cut or completely but it would be cool to see Will and Elizabeth back properly 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

It did improve a lot on rewatch and has aged really well but the original will always be the best. DMC has a weak opening too. It doesn't really get interesting until they get off the island.

The original immediately puts you in that world and Sparrows introduction is one of the best in film. 

You are clearly not in the know then.